WORST headphone you ever heard?
Apr 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #691 of 1,786
What kind of equipment are you guys demoing these cans with? Store setups are usually not set up right. Heard eather an SR125i or SR225i in a shop on a Sony home theater receiver with a crappy Jazz DVD, and it sounded worse than my old setup with a gaming headset!

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #692 of 1,786
Based on price:

Skullcandy skull crushers. I'm not sure they even played music. It is quite possible they just mislabeled a head massager.

I also just tried my stock earbuds from my galaxy nexus. That wasn't pleasant.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #693 of 1,786
The SONY MDR-NC6's that I bought ages ago to silence airplane travel noise are terrible compared to the 668b's. Recessed everything, a collapsed sound-stage, no bass, no treble, yuck.

That is without the NC function on.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #694 of 1,786
Quote:
What kind of equipment are you guys demoing these cans with? Store setups are usually not set up right. Heard eather an SR125i or SR225i in a shop on a Sony home theater receiver with a crappy Jazz DVD, and it sounded worse than my old setup with a gaming headset!

Well, i hate when this happens. 

HT modern receivers are not good for headphone demoing in my opinion. They usually have a cheap/poorly designed headphone out. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #695 of 1,786
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #697 of 1,786

Quote:
What kind of equipment are you guys demoing these cans with? Store setups are usually not set up right. 

It was a professional hifi shop, so he could plug into his own device and listen to lossless files. No foul play here.

Heard eather an SR125i or SR225i in a shop on a Sony home theater receiver with a crappy Jazz DVD, and it sounded worse than my old setup with a gaming headset!

That's the point - the Sony home theatre receiver isn't the problem. It's almost no different to using a headphone straight out of a phone or mp3 device. If the music is recorded badly, it will suck no matter what.

May 2, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #698 of 1,786
Quote:
He said that for him, the P5 was simply audio perfection - exactly what he was looking for, and we already agreed that everyone has differing preferences.
I just hope he doesn't stick to his guns because of pride, but an actual preference.
He listens to mostly heavy/thrash metal, so I think he thoroughly enjoys the super relaxed sound from them. 

But he was worried about sennheiser's being too mainstream....#nohopeforhumanitythankshipsters. Maybe introduce him to something like BeyerDynamic or Grado....yes Grado
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #700 of 1,786
Quote:
But he was worried about sennheiser's being too mainstream....#nohopeforhumanitythankshipsters. Maybe introduce him to something like BeyerDynamic or Grado....yes Grado
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, it was the SALESPERSON who said they were too mainstream - he discouraged my friend to even try them *facepalm*.

I doubt he'd like Grado. Sure there isn't much better for heavy metal, but it seems he wants his metal to be sung to him like a lullaby. 
confused.gif

May 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #701 of 1,786
To contribute to the thread: the worst headphones I ever used were the generic $10 Panasonic earbuds you can find pretty much anywhere and come with that little round case the cable rolls up into. They were appreciably worse than the iPod earbuds, which I bought them to replace. I was in college and dead broke and still just threw them away.

How do they compare to the airline earbuds at your seat?

I want to pick up a pair of these just to see how they compare to my NC6's.

May 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #702 of 1,786
Quote:
No, it was the SALESPERSON who said they were too mainstream - he discouraged my friend to even try them *facepalm*.

I doubt he'd like Grado. Sure there isn't much better for heavy metal, but it seems he wants his metal to be sung to him like a lullaby. 
confused.gif

Probably the guy listens to Lullaby power metal 
biggrin.gif

Its not good to be fooled by salespersons. 

May 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #703 of 1,786
Quote:

Hey, i use a sony home theatre for my headphone amp and I really like it.  Ive tried cmoy amp, fiio e10 and i prefer the sony str-de475 because i can add or remove treble / bass -- especially nice when switching between headphones or music genres 

I was thinking about selling my sony setup and trying one of them yamaha silent cinemas equipped receivers, but im not convinced id hear a tangible difference.  

May 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #704 of 1,786
I'm not including buds that came with players or airline freebies because it's too easy. It's also quite worrying that the iRiver buds I got with my H140 nearly a decade ago still work, as do the Sennheiser buds that came with my H340 a couple of years later. Meanwhile almost every IEM I have paid extra for since then has died.

My three contenders for worst purchased phones are:

Razer Protone M100 IEMs. These look absolutely identical to Sennheiser CX 300 and clones but it's the same kind of similarity as with a chocolate smoothie and a glass of filthy brown mud from a ditch. To be fair they were promoted as gaming phones and not something for enjoying music. And this evening, about 5 years after I bought them, I even used them for that and they were acceptable. It's playing actual music that reveals them as duds.

Klipsch Image X1 IEMs (amazon model identical to S1). Sound quality: boom wallow boom boom wallow. Ergonomics: silly shaped tips in silicone that is too hard, and any slight breeze causes whistling noises. Stick out so can't rest head against anything. Aaaagh. I bought something better and put the Klipsch el cheapo IEMs back in their case and forgot about them for many months. Recently I plugged them in and one side had mysteriously stopped working while unused and untouched. I didn't care.

Sony MDR-ZX700. Nice sound but died after just over a year. Very thin cable running into casket from headband routes by a hinge whose movement pinches the cable until eventully the bare wire is exposed and the sound stops. Dumb design, or maybe careless assembly, perhaps both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back