WORST headphone you ever heard?
Aug 23, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #271 of 1,786
Quote:
plane ride from Phoenix to Reno, and i forgot to bring my HF5s.  so i 'borrowed' a friends cheapo skullcandy earbuds, boy that was a dreadful experience.  a diana krall track sounded like a sick toad burping while sitting in a tin can that's being whacked at with a witch's broom.  so not cool, the roaring jet engine was far more pleasant.

I could have listen to the engine as well, might as well give back those skullcandy to your friend. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #272 of 1,786
Quote:
plane ride from Phoenix to Reno, and i forgot to bring my HF5s.  so i 'borrowed' a friends cheapo skullcandy earbuds, boy that was a dreadful experience.  a diana krall track sounded like a sick toad burping while sitting in a tin can that's being whacked at with a witch's broom.  so not cool, the roaring jet engine was far more pleasant.

The Titans maybe? Awful, truly awful! Would have also preferred the engine :)

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #274 of 1,786
just saw in the "how much does it cost" section on the right - the Zalman ZM-RS6F... that is one utterly disgusting headphone.

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #275 of 1,786
... just heard my friend's earpollution cs40s headphones...

Never heard a can this muffled. Everything, highs, mids, even the bass, are all so muddy and unclear.

Gets my vote for the worst headphones ever.

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #276 of 1,786
A pair of these little guys. They cost something like the equivalent of $3 in the supermarket, and sound like pretty much any cheap earphone from the 80s, even though that's thirty years ago. Note the extra bass promise on the box. This is how they keep people from realising what bass actually is; some buyers on Amazon have written reviews where they keep coming back for more because of the amazing value. It's not very amazing when they sound like laptop speakers and evidentially don't last long.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #278 of 1,786
Aug 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #279 of 1,786
Quote:

Some guy just threw them at me and told me I could have it...I threw away the tips, replaced them, tried it on then I tore the thing apart :O

confused_face_2.gif
 So....horrible

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #280 of 1,786
Before I found head-fi I was using a pair of Sony MDR-NC7 "Noise Cancelling" cans at work.  Even in my ignorance I figured out the Noise Cancelling was worthless, but now I just realized they also sound no better than my blackberry buds anyways!  I unloaded the NC7s and thanks to head-fi am now using Brainwavz Betas at my desk.

Fortunately I got them for free, but the WORST news is every week somewhere in Canada someone is paying $80+tax for these when they're on US Amazon for $25 and amazon.ca for $50?!?  I guess if you don't care about sound quality but need a little noise cancelling these aren't so bad... but then you wouldn't be on head-fi reading this either!

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #283 of 1,786
Worst sounding headphones:

Skullcandy 2XL earbuds. I needed a quick set in a pinch while I waited for my other pairs to go through an RMA process. Got these for $6.99 at a Wal-Greens--oh dear god I couldn't spend five minutes with them. They were GIANT for an ear bud, everything sounded like somebody was playing music throw a pillow into a tin can. 

Over ear wise, I'll get a decent amount of hate, but I have to give it to the audio technica m50's. I bought them after all the hype by the forums (already A700's and XB700's at the time). I found the m50's to be boring, the treble felt horribly rolled off in comparison to my A700's. The bass didn't feel tight or punchy; the bass felt like there was presence with poor extension. It simply was not a pleasant headphone in comparison to my a700's running through my home rig. To top everything off, they were unbelievably hot and rather tight on the head. I think the A700's spoiled me in the comfort department.

There are definitely worse headphones out there, but the M50's stuck out as compared to the rest of my current collection of simply being something I immediately didn't care for. (have the XB1000's, Aviators, a700, Miles davis tribute buds, and Noontec zoro currently).

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #285 of 1,786
Quote:
Worst sounding headphones:

Skullcandy 2XL earbuds. I needed a quick set in a pinch while I waited for my other pairs to go through an RMA process. Got these for $6.99 at a Wal-Greens--oh dear god I couldn't spend five minutes with them. They were GIANT for an ear bud, everything sounded like somebody was playing music throw a pillow into a tin can. 

Over ear wise, I'll get a decent amount of hate, but I have to give it to the audio technica m50's. I bought them after all the hype by the forums (already A700's and XB700's at the time). I found the m50's to be boring, the treble felt horribly rolled off in comparison to my A700's. The bass didn't feel tight or punchy; the bass felt like there was presence with poor extension. It simply was not a pleasant headphone in comparison to my a700's running through my home rig. To top everything off, they were unbelievably hot and rather tight on the head. I think the A700's spoiled me in the comfort department.

There are definitely worse headphones out there, but the M50's stuck out as compared to the rest of my current collection of simply being something I immediately didn't care for. (have the XB1000's, Aviators, a700, Miles davis tribute buds, and Noontec zoro currently).

Not to fan the flames, but I more or less agree. As far as Head-fi favorites go, at least, they definitely are scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's silly to me that these get as much love as they do, considering how poor the mids are. I never, ever see anyone mention how crap the mids are, but as a headphone of this price it seems like it should be something that's really stressed by the community.

There's far cheaper headphones that receive much more scrutiny, but for whatever reason these get a free pass.

I say this without exaggeration: I honestly put them just a notch up from the Beats Studios. (And well behind the Beats Pros)

[/rant]
very_evil_smiley.gif

Also, do you think the Aviators sound as fantastic as I do? I had the chance to listen to them some time ago, and was totally floored by what Skullcandy accomplished there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back