Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread
Nov 14, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #182 of 218
Coming from an SA5K owner, 
I would say that for those particular cans the soundstage and imaging are fantastic!
A little lacking in the bass department, But otherwise a very well designed headphone :)

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #184 of 218
Alright, so after A/Bing the tour model and my build, there doesn't seem to be much difference in FR or imaging/soundstage (using the same pad). I think the angle of the drivers inside the cup isn't enough to make an audible difference. Unfortunately more angle can't be achieved without altering the insides of the cup. Kinda wish I had the knowledge and tools to make cups.

Also, the pads that I have are the Earzonk pads and not the grado, the consistency and build is quite different being a single density throughout. The Grado pad that is with the touring has a stiffer foam on the bottom and top with softer foam in between. The difference here is qutie audible. The Grado pad has better treble air/extension and perceived clarity. The Earzonk has a warmer sound with the highs being rolled off and bass having a slight boost. Mids seem to be the same on both except for some encroachment of the mid bass into the lower mids on the earzonk (nothing drastic or concerning on most tracks). So the earzonk pads imo is a more relaxed and colored sound while the Grado pads has a more linear sound with less bass. 

Next up on the tour is Tyll for Innerfidelity, wonder if I should include the earzonk pads... @JoeDoe? I should be ready to ship to him on Monday.

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #185 of 218
  Alright, so after A/Bing the tour model and my build, there doesn't seem to be much difference in FR or imaging/soundstage (using the same pad). I think the angle of the drivers inside the cup isn't enough to make an audible difference. Unfortunately more angle can't be achieved without altering the insides of the cup. Kinda wish I had the knowledge and tools to make cups.

Also, the pads that I have are the Earzonk pads and not the grado, the consistency and build is quite different being a single density throughout. The Grado pad that is with the touring has a stiffer foam on the bottom and top with softer foam in between. The difference here is qutie audible. The Grado pad has better treble air/extension and perceived clarity. The Earzonk has a warmer sound with the highs being rolled off and bass having a slight boost. Mids seem to be the same on both except for some encroachment of the mid bass into the lower mids on the earzonk (nothing drastic or concerning on most tracks). So the earzonk pads imo is a more relaxed and colored sound while the Grado pads has a more linear sound with less bass. 

Next up on the tour is Tyll for Innerfidelity, wonder if I should include the earzonk pads... @JoeDoe? I should be ready to ship to him on Monday.

Sad but true...the Ear Zonks don't have the different densities. I prefer the Grado ones....much to the detriment of my wallet.

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #186 of 218

Sad but true...the Ear Zonks don't have the different densities. I prefer the Grado ones....much to the detriment of my wallet.

B&H has Grado pads for the same price as the Ear Zonks, I'll be ordering one next week so I can go warm or bright. With the DX100 warm is a good thing though.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #189 of 218
  Well gentlemen, we are reaching the last leg of the tour. Are there any other members who'd like to sign up while the cans are still traveling?

Hi,

I've been following this and other SennGrado-related threads with great interest! I've even put together SennGrado-type headphones using drivers from an original pair of PX100's and a pair of Koss KSC35 drivers, both of which have been improved dramatically by the application. I am, however, curious to try a pair with the Sennheiser PX100 II drivers that are so glowingly reported here! Having already owned the others, I thought I would start there before I invested in a new pair of PX100 II's, but now I'd like to make the comparison. So, could you include me on the list?

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #195 of 218
They were sent to Tyll weeks ago, not sure what the status is on measurements but it was delivered.

Also today is the last day to sign up for the "2014 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange." You can search the site for the thread or use the link on my signature to sign up!

Getting the measurements of the Wireless cans has been taking all my time...man, that sucked.

I'll get them measured today.  Can you PM me the addy to send it to next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back