Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread
Nov 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #166 of 218
Correct me if I'm wrong, but some furniture polish like Old English would fix those tiny surface scratches right up wouldn't they?

TINY TO YOU BUT HUGE TO ME *sniff* *Sniff*

yea they would, I don't care to much honestly. I think the little scratch is a like a part of the story! That scratch has a story! There's a reason it's there, a battle was faught and my wood cups sadly didn't win, how ever I think it adds personaility

My W1000X [has been with me for 2 years] has ONE nick on it... that I got from spacing out listening to some Dave Brubeck on them. As I went to get into my car, to sit an finish my song before I left for the day, I didn't duck in enough and BAM I nicked it, yes the nick is a nick but instead of getting all bent out of shape I just took it for what is was. A memento of that day that I was REALLY diggin my cans, so I can live with it

Hopefully Joe can tell me the story behind the little scratch, as it's jagged so it looks like he tried to maybe catch what ever scrapped agains't it.

Now that said, if I ever go to sell these cans [doubtfull that I will] I would need to Polish that little scratch off. But for my own use I don't mind a  little nick, as that damage was done during a labor of love [I hope] 

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #168 of 218
In the past I have owned a few Sennheisers (HD555, 580, and 600) and heard an HD650 and HD800 and a few Grados (SR80, 125, 325, PS500 with stock pads, and a PS500 with really big pads, not sure what model) at a meet. 
I'm not a huge fan of most Sennheiser headphones, but the HD650 and 800 are great. I wasn't a fan of the Grados I heard at all due to their lack of bass and terrible comfort factor. The PS500 with the bigger pads wasn't as bad in the comfort area, but that material is still too rigid for ear pads IMO. I didn't like the extremely bright factor to the Grado sound, extremely fatiguing to my ears.

Now, for the SG. I have never heard the stock PX100 so I can't compare it's sound to the SG to hear where the makers/contributors may have improved the sound. When I first put them on it felt just like a Grado (surprise!), but when I connected it to my Aune T1 and started the music is when I found the difference between these and Grados. The sound coming out of these is much more voluptuous and thick than any Grado I've heard, like fruit smoothie thickness compared to the Grado's water-like sound.

There is a pretty nice low end to these, they gave my metal music a heavy sound, I could really enjoy a nice drop while still hearing the vocalist, guitars, and cymbals very clearly and totally separated from one another. You would never think to use a Grado to listen to Dubstep, but these held up to the task fairly well. They have nice impact but the sub bass is lacking (a pad swap would probably counter this). These are more mid-centric than anything, vocals are right up front, the bass is right below that and then the highs behind that. If I were to compare these to any headphone I have owned, I'd say they're closest to the Audio Technica ESW9 with less bass and impact but a larger sound stage. 

I did do some gaming with these on. I played Battlefield 4 on Xbox ONE with these connected to my Astro MixAmp Pro. The staging is fairly good, you might think an enemy is farther away than they actually are. Gunshots from your own gun are extremely in your face, but I suppose they would be if you were firing in real life as well. Overall they handled gaming well. If you only wanted to own one headphone and preferred these for how they perform with music, they would do you just fine when you were gaming as well.

Overall these are great headphones to the right people. I'd say if you were considering buying a PS500 for how they handle music analytically, you'd be doing yourself an injustice by buying those over these.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #170 of 218
In an effort to have more headphones than I have time to listen to, I am looking at building a pair of these. I have 2 current questions. 1- I have a set of cocobolo outer cups, and will be possibly purchasing a set of aluminum inner sleeves. Would aluminum sleeves be a good match, or should I make another set if limba inners? 2- how much should a set if just the drivers be? Or is it difficult to find then on their own, fs section isn't yielding much lately. Thanks folks. Main issue really is the pairing of aluminum to me, not sure if anyone's tried that yet

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #171 of 218
In an effort to have more headphones than I have time to listen to, I am looking at building a pair of these. I have 2 current questions. 1- I have a set of cocobolo outer cups, and will be possibly purchasing a set of aluminum inner sleeves. Would aluminum sleeves be a good match, or should I make another set if limba inners? 2- how much should a set if just the drivers be? Or is it difficult to find then on their own, fs section isn't yielding much lately. Thanks folks. Main issue really is the pairing of aluminum to me, not sure if anyone's tried that yet

You'd be the first to do alu-sleeves I think...would be good to hear how that goes :)

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #172 of 218
I'm guessing aluminum would add some treble sparkle right? Which may work we'll as everyone's saying the treble is fairly take compared to grades. Well, if everything comes together I'll try and have them by early January. Still trying to see about price on just the drivers. I have grado headband gimbals and everything else. Just gotta hit up my man Casper to do a cable job for me if I can source all this and not get a scowl from the other half.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #173 of 218
I'm guessing aluminum would add some treble sparkle right? Which may work we'll as everyone's saying the treble is fairly take compared to grades. Well, if everything comes together I'll try and have them by early January. Still trying to see about price on just the drivers. I have grado headband gimbals and everything else. Just gotta hit up my man Casper to do a cable job for me if I can source all this and not get a scowl from the other half.

Ha! Just let me know when man. Here is a pair of original PX100 you can steal the drivers from if you don't want to buy a new pair for just the drivers. I know Sennheiser charges like $9 just for shipping so this might be a cheaper option than buying just the drivers straight from Sennheiser. You could probably talk them down a little too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741041/sennheiser-px100-original

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #174 of 218
Is there a difference between px100 original and the ii version?

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #176 of 218
Is there a difference between px100 original and the ii version?

You'll want the ii version which goes for $50. A few pages back someone mentioned the PX95 as being close but the 100-ii still being superior as well as easier to install. Amazon has them cheapest I believe.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #177 of 218
Thanks for the clarification. I was about to pm that seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back