Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread
Oct 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #151 of 218

I'll get better pictures soon, but I wanted to get something out! 

And they're actually almost polar opposites to the Vibros.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #153 of 218
  Got 'em today! I haven't gotten to use them much as of now but at the moment, I actually like these more than the RS1e, which I thought was a little too bright (though I was using pretty dark headphones to compare them to when I had them).

Glad you got em alright 

I'll get better pictures soon, but I wanted to get something out! 

And they're actually almost polar opposites to the Vibros.

Wow I never knew the Vibros where so dark, they must sound a lot like teh Mad Dog in some ways 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #154 of 218
  Glad you got em alright 

Wow I never knew the Vibros where so dark, they must sound a lot like teh Mad Dog in some ways 

I've never heard the Vibros, so take my comment with a grain of salt.  However, I've heard plenty of T50 Fostex variations of mods as well as performing about 10 of them myself.  The soundstage just can't get as wide as the SennGrads and can't quite perform the instrument separation with the same detail.  Now, allow me to qualify or clarify those statements a bit.

The T50 modified headphones are a headphone for bass lovers and for those who would feel that the Grado sound would equate to fingernails on a chalkboard - for those who still remember what a chalkboard is.  I've encountered many good listening sessions with the T50s with certain genres of music and certainly with some alternative ear pads (Shure, Dog pads, etc.) the comfort has to be among the top 5 when it comes to all headphones.  There is really no single headphone that can do essentially everything right.  I've been on that mission for many years and haven't achieved that Shagri La and may never do so.  However, for those who have felt that the house Grado sound wasn't for them, the SennGrads should be worth taking some time to listen to.  Details and instrument separation are there and without the upper end fatigue that some of those who have listened to Grados could equate to and just couldn't like them.  I still have appreciation for the Grado lineup and most likely always will.

The soundstage on the SennGrads is wide, but not the widest that I've heard.  For that, my reference would always be the Grado GS-1000.  I've never heard anything quite like it when it comes to width.  The SennGrads are not narrow by any stretch, yet are wider than the Fostex T50RP variations that I've heard and experienced.  A recent favorite when it comes to a wider soundstage and some decent instrument separation that really lets one connect to the music and instruments in a very good way has been the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 series.  While having those factors, the soundstage still couldn't go quite as wide as the GS-1000 (the original and not the "i" variation).

When it comes to headphones, the choices can be tough.  Each one of us has to pick our own poison.  However, I'm elated at all of the developments with headphones in the last half-dozen years.  We're at a point with headphones, amps and DACs where we can set up a really good sounding rig whereas in the past, to get there, one would have to build up a pretty nice 2-channel home music system. 

With that, I'll close with a great quote that I discovered in an audio newsletter.  "Why does music exist if not to ... offer salvation, ... to restore the heart that has been lost?  It isn't the musician that counts, nor is it the music.  Only the listener."  - Helene Grimaud

Enjoy the music!

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #155 of 218

With that, I'll close with a great quote that I discovered in an audio newsletter.  "Why does music exist if not to ... offer salvation, ... to restore the heart that has been lost?  It isn't the musician that counts, nor is it the music.  Only the listener."  - Helene Grimaud

Enjoy the music!

haha, good point

yea I heard a Mad Dog... I hated it. Too dark for my tastes. I recognized the positives within it, I recommend it often... but personally didn't enjoy it. I've yet to hear a new verision or any of the upgrades. Which is a Shame as I really need to hear a new model

BUT yea the Senn Grado isn't bad at all on width. About as wide as my DT 880, though depth is more of where the magic is for me, only so much width is needed, though more depth is always appreciated 

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #156 of 218
Just sent them off to cCasper TFG! I'm currently cramming for exams (yeah...even tonight...) but I will say a little bit about them before doing longer impressions. (D'oh I forgot to take pictures)...though I feel like I'll have some to contribute of my own because I really want  pair for myself. Heck, I like them more than the HE500 I'm trying to sell (more of a taste thing than a technical superiority thing).

I can elaborate more wrt SennGrados vs ZMF x Vibro. The ZxV is actually pretty interesting-sounding. I struggle to call it warm, but the treble is a bit reserved. The ZxV has more prominent mids and better timbre. It also blows the SennGrados away in bass, but there's just something about the SennGrados that leads me into them. I want to like the Grado sound, but it's just a little too bright and a little too thin for me. These alleviate that for me almost completely.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #157 of 218
  Just sent them off to cCasper TFG! I'm currently cramming for exams (yeah...even tonight...) but I will say a little bit about them before doing longer impressions. (D'oh I forgot to take pictures)...though I feel like I'll have some to contribute of my own because I really want  pair for myself. Heck, I like them more than the HE500 I'm trying to sell (more of a taste thing than a technical superiority thing).

I can elaborate more wrt SennGrados vs ZMF x Vibro. The ZxV is actually pretty interesting-sounding. I struggle to call it warm, but the treble is a bit reserved. The ZxV has more prominent mids and better timbre. It also blows the SennGrados away in bass, but there's just something about the SennGrados that leads me into them. I want to like the Grado sound, but it's just a little too bright and a little too thin for me. These alleviate that for me almost completely.

I know right? The Senn Grado is like my Mini HE 4, I really do like the sound it has to offer! I'm listening to my Balanced Variant now 

Oh here are the pics of my Senn Grado 

big thanks @7keys , @JoeDoe 

and @cCasper TFG

Casper takes much better pictures than I do <.< 

also forgive the Coffee Cup but the nights listening session was great! 

Greyhound Cocktail with my Lovely Senn Grado [Yea the cup is hideous, getting some Glass Cups tommorow, and doing a new cocktail xD] 

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #161 of 218
  Is that a crack in the wood ?

Looks like someone scratched the wood putting the headband on, you have to be careful. 

Yea that would be Joe's Doing. He mentioned to me teh Orignal Grado HEadband assembly broke during assembly, I assume that was teh damage done to it,

I just noticed that the other day my self funny how you guys noticed it about the same time I did

another interesting note, my HE 4 has simmilar damage to it, from the fellah who installed it as well... it seems those who do not make wood cups, will often damage wood cups :/ 

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #162 of 218

it seems those who do not make wood cups, will often damage wood cups :/ 

Wrong!
I've done it a few times.
confused_face.gif

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #163 of 218

Wrong!
I've done it a few times.
confused_face.gif

Then why does it keep happening to me xD
both my HE 4 and Senn Grado have cup damage lol 

Though if you were installing cups for some one else, would you leave teh damage or fix it 

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #165 of 218
Yea that would be Joe's Doing. He mentioned to me teh Orignal Grado HEadband assembly broke during assembly, I assume that was teh damage done to it,

I just noticed that the other day my self funny how you guys noticed it about the same time I did

another interesting note, my HE 4 has simmilar damage to it, from the fellah who installed it as well... it seems those who do not make wood cups, will often damage wood cups :/ 

Wrong!
I've done it a few times.:confused_face:

Then why does it keep happening to me xD
both my HE 4 and Senn Grado have cup damage lol 

Though if you were installing cups for some one else, would you leave teh damage or fix it 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some furniture polish like Old English would fix those tiny surface scratches right up wouldn't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back