Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 2, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,882 of 4,839
I just need to know how limited my options with the wa6 are in terms of getting the syrupy tubiness I am striving for.
I might just need to go for something like a bottlehead crack, WA2, and I even heard that the Little Dot II/II+ can give me that which is great considering its cost.
the Little dot as well as the wa2 can also pre-out which is good for my setup as well.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #2,884 of 4,839
If I wanted a tubey, warm, syrupy sound for my 1st edition wa6, would I have any luck with tube rolling, or should I pick a different amp?
I hear that the wa6 provides a much cleaner sound than other tube amps, but I also heard that you can bubble it up depending on what tubes you go with.
Would I have better luck picking a different amp, or are there good options for "tubeyness" with the wa6?
I'm not sure if WA6 or WA6SE is tubey sounding. With my setup, it's depending on the tube. It's really showing you a different sound characteristic with different tube brands. It's just amazing sounding amp for this price range.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #2,885 of 4,839
I heard that the Sophia Princess 274b mesh plate really brings out some warmth, but I'm unsure as to what extent.
As for driver tubes, I haven't looked too much into them or seen what is able to really slow things down or make things warm.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #2,887 of 4,839
I heard that the Sophia Princess 274b mesh plate really brings out some warmth, but I'm unsure as to what extent.
As for driver tubes, I haven't looked too much into them or seen what is able to really slow things down or make things warm.
With my set up, the Sophia Princess 274b+6FD7 sounds very open, clear detail, and warm. It doesn't sound sweet tubby to my ears. With a new Mullard GZ34+6FD7 is just add more weight and more energy. I like Mullard GZ34 better. The Sophia Princess 274b sounds very light in compare.

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #2,888 of 4,839
image.jpeg
I accidentally erased the tube compatibility chart for all of the older Woo amps.
Can someone please provide me with the older compatibility chart, please?
Thanks

Here's a shot of my hardcopy.

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,891 of 4,839
The good thing about WA6's is the range of tubes that you can use, with and without adapters. Quality tubes like 6SN7's are plentiful and provide immediate sonic benefits. The rectifier will affect the sound but to a lesser extent. It would be easy to exceed the value of the amp in tubes, so be mindful. If you are looking for a lot of musical detail, you will however, never get a highly resolving amp with the WA6 which is why I moved to the WA5-LE.

Thanks for the insight :)

I'm looking forward to upgrade my stock pair of 13DE7s on my WA6-SE as I upgraded the rectifier tube already.
Do you happen to know if your suggested "6SN7" tube would be compatible with my amp?

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #2,892 of 4,839
Thanks for the insight :)

I'm looking forward to upgrade my stock pair of 13DE7s on my WA6-SE as I upgraded the rectifier tube already.
Do you happen to know if your suggested "6SN7" tube would be compatible with my amp?

Woo can give you a list of compatible tubes. Your first problem is 13DE7's the first numbers designate the voltage so 13 volts. With a 6SN7 you have 6 volts. They are incompatible with out modifications. This is one reason why the earlier WA6's were popular. They had a greater range of tubes available. I have no idea why WOO went to 13 volt tubes.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #2,893 of 4,839
Thank you for your fast reply!

Well thats kinda sad! wished I could upgrade my drivers more easily.
Wonder if anyone else has WA6-SE with 13DE7's and ugpraded their driver tubes with a positive sonics in sound as a result :confused:

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #2,895 of 4,839
Which 6sn7 tube is recommend on WA6 1st gen

The tubes that I use are Tung Sol 6F8G's with an adapter. They have the identical structure to 6SN7 Round Plates for less than half the price. They have been in my system for a year and I just have no desire to change them out. There are 6SN7 threads here that review the various tubes with detailed information:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mini-review-various-6sn7-tubes.159143/

Lots of good reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back