Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Dec 25, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #2,866 of 4,839
Thank you guys for all the recommendation on rectifier tubes.
Looks like my brand new but annoyingly buzzing stock tube is going to be replaced soon.

I like a new Mullard GZ34 from Russia and Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B with 6FD7 tubes. The more I listen to GZ34 the more I like it better than Sophia Princess. It seems to have more power and weight. The detail's about the same. It's more involve with my system setup. Plus it's way more cheaper than Sophia Princess. You should put Mullard GZ34 on your list. Recommended.

If I look up the Mullard GZ34 I seem to find 10000 diffrent ones, with diffrent shape, price etc. Could you please link me the one I should look out for exactly? :)

EDIT: I'm guessing this is a quality replica of the Mullard you've mentioned: http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/produc...=386&language=en&mySID=jTuJkj-B-Cm7HEtxYLuNK3

Looks like Tubestore still has some SED 5u3c blackplates from the 1950s at $50, which I like. They also have some later 1980s grey plates at $28.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/de/shop_Sonstige_Markenroehren_Gleichrichter/5U4G_5C3S_5_3C_NOS_blackplate_595

Is that the same one, Gefski? I'm happy to have found this shop that actually is selling from Germany!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,867 of 4,839
Thank you guys for all the recommendation on rectifier tubes.
Looks like my brand new but annoyingly buzzing stock tube is going to be replaced soon.

If I look up the Mullard GZ34 I seem to find 10000 diffrent ones, with diffrent shape, price etc. Could you please link me the one I should look out for exactly? :)

EDIT: I'm guessing this is a quality replica of the Mullard you've mentioned: http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/produc...=386&language=en&mySID=jTuJkj-B-Cm7HEtxYLuNK3

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/de/shop_Sonstige_Markenroehren_Gleichrichter/5U4G_5C3S_5_3C_NOS_blackplate_595

Is that the same one, Gefski? I'm happy to have found this shop that actually is selling from Germany!
This one is same as mine https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/mullard-new-production-gz34-5ar4-rectifier and http://www.dougstubes.com/mullard-gz-34.html It's not NOS! it's new production made in Russia. I brought at that time around $28.

About buzzing sound. You may try to push a tube around a bit as circle while it turn on. It may helps. A warning! Not recommended to touch a tube while it turn on! But I did it anyway when a tube has a humming noise. And the noise is gone.

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2,868 of 4,839
This one is same as mine https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/mullard-new-production-gz34-5ar4-rectifier and http://www.dougstubes.com/mullard-gz-34.html It's not NOS! it's new production made in Russia. I brought at that time around $28.

About buzzing sound. You may try to push a tube around a bit as circle while it turn on. It may helps. A warning! Not recommended to touch a tube while it turn on! But I did it anyway when a tube has a humming noise. And the noise is gone.

Thank you mowax!
Actually I just tried the "twisting" trick on the tube while its on and I could hear how the buzz noise disperses into the background a little bit more depending on how I twisted it. However it always went back to an audible volume right after 6-7 seconds. I feel like I've managed to decrease the noise a little bit however. And most importantly, this may be an indicator that its really the stock rectifer tube that got shipped with the amp being faulty and not the unit itself. Thank you for the hint!

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #2,869 of 4,839
Thank you mowax!
Actually I just tried the "twisting" trick on the tube while its on and I could hear how the buzz noise disperses into the background a little bit more depending on how I twisted it. However it always went back to an audible volume right after 6-7 seconds. I feel like I've managed to decrease the noise a little bit however. And most importantly, this may be an indicator that its really the stock rectifer tube that got shipped with the amp being faulty and not the unit itself. Thank you for the hint!
Yes "twisting" is the right word. Most of the time it works with my tubes hum. But sometimes it comes back, so I twist it again and the hum noise gone. I think you need to twisting it to the right position until the humming noise is gone. I guess the legs and socket is not attached to each other correctly. Hope you can fix it.

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #2,870 of 4,839
Yes "twisting" is the right word. Most of the time it works with my tubes hum. But sometimes it comes back, so I twist it again and the hum noise gone. I think you need to twisting it to the right position until the humming noise is gone. I guess the legs and socket is not attached to each other correctly. Hope you can fix it.
One more, you may need to let the amp warmup for 10-15min. Let all the tubes warm up. For my main system with my power tube amp, I found that if I turn on and listen music right away. I get the hum and buzzing very loud noise. I need to let it warm up 15-30min.

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #2,871 of 4,839
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here's one of mine (5u3c); looks the same to me.

Since you're also talking Mullard, here's a cv378 (gz37) in my WA6+.

Since you're in Europe, check out Langrex in Britain if you haven't. They've got a gazillion tubes.

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,873 of 4,839
Jan 8, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #2,874 of 4,839
As I read through this thread most of the comments are about the Gen 1 amps. I just bought a Gen 2 WA6-SE which has the 13DE7 tubes. I am just about done with break in so I have not done much listening yet but in the times I have listened I felt that the amp was magical. I ordered and received the 13EM7 from Woo and the jury is out on the 13EM7 over the 13DE7 at this point. I also bought the Sophia 274B rectifier. I am crazy in love with the quality of the build and the classic look of the amp. Looking forward to doing some listening soon.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #2,875 of 4,839
As I read through this thread most of the comments are about the Gen 1 amps. I just bought a Gen 2 WA6-SE which has the 13DE7 tubes. I am just about done with break in so I have not done much listening yet but in the times I have listened I felt that the amp was magical. I ordered and received the 13EM7 from Woo and the jury is out on the 13EM7 over the 13DE7 at this point. I also bought the Sophia 274B rectifier. I am crazy in love with the quality of the build and the classic look of the amp. Looking forward to doing some listening soon.

How is the pairing with the LCD-2C? What are the primary sonic differences between v1 and 2?

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2,876 of 4,839
How is the pairing with the LCD-2C? What are the primary sonic differences between v1 and 2?

On the subject of the LCD2-C I have not had a chance to listen yet as I have been breaking the amp in. I am planning on posting my listening impressions within the next few weeks. As for sonic differences? I can't comment since the only amp I have heard is the V2.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #2,878 of 4,839
Hello,

I am looking at the WA6SE or the Bottlehead Mainline amp...I have 250/600 ohm T90 and T1's....has anyone here used these amps and do you have any comparisons.
The Mainline is BH's top of the line head amp...and I have 9 amps at the moment mostly DIY except for some Schitt stuff.

Thanks
Alex

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,879 of 4,839
If I wanted a tubey, warm, syrupy sound for my 1st edition wa6, would I have any luck with tube rolling, or should I pick a different amp?
I hear that the wa6 provides a much cleaner sound than other tube amps, but I also heard that you can bubble it up depending on what tubes you go with.
Would I have better luck picking a different amp, or are there good options for "tubeyness" with the wa6?

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #2,880 of 4,839
If I wanted a tubey, warm, syrupy sound for my 1st edition wa6, would I have any luck with tube rolling, or should I pick a different amp?
I hear that the wa6 provides a much cleaner sound than other tube amps, but I also heard that you can bubble it up depending on what tubes you go with.
Would I have better luck picking a different amp, or are there good options for "tubeyness" with the wa6?

The good thing about WA6's is the range of tubes that you can use, with and without adapters. Quality tubes like 6SN7's are plentiful and provide immediate sonic benefits. The rectifier will affect the sound but to a lesser extent. It would be easy to exceed the value of the amp in tubes, so be mindful. If you are looking for a lot of musical detail, you will however, never get a highly resolving amp with the WA6 which is why I moved to the WA5-LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back