Which headphones are not "bright" sounding?
Jan 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #91 of 115

Quote:
Quote:
The HD 650's are anything but dull and boring to me. They are anything but dark as well. There is never going to be a consensus on things like this so why discuss it? idk.

Well if we approach everything like that, this forum would be meaningless. We're just sharing our opinions and in the final analysis confirm the saying that "we all hear differently". There are,  I am sure, many factors which make or do not make HD650s dull or boring, we haven't discussed them yet either. However, I've done lots of reading before I bought my pair and you're the only person I've encountered who finds them too bright. Granted we all have different tastes and preferences, but if one calls HD650s as bright cans, I'd think that that person is in minority. 

Actually you mustn't have read a couple of threads, one started by yours truly, where people who found them too bright got to have their say. I can't see it myself, but so many people were complaining about brightness (or was it just sibilance) that I thought it worth starting a new thread to get to the bottom of it. Never did though, and my final verdict was that the people concerned must have had the hearing of a bat.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #93 of 115
My Sony MDR-V700s are not bright. They're really good if you're lookin for dim with a ton of bass!
beyersmile.png

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #95 of 115
Mine sound bright out of anything. I think in the summer when I have loads of time I'll send them to Sennheiser to see if they are defective or something. If they aren't defective I'll start looking for a much darker pair of headphones to replace them because their brightness annoys me.

I bought the K 601's pretty cheap and they're nice and dark. . . but not nearly good enough to replace the HD 650's.

"my final verdict was that the people concerned must have had the hearing of a bat."

That can't be the only reason.

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #96 of 115

Quote:
Tangentially related...

My TV is too bright.  The backlight is set at 0/100 and its still to bright.  Especially at night.  Even at high noon, its only slightly too dark with the backlight turned all the way down.

Yet another reason I prefer tubes for my displays...

Or you could buy a plasma and continue to enjoy HD programming with smooth movement, reasonable brightness, and amazing black levels.  I'm just sayin....

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #97 of 115
Quote:
Or you could buy a plasma and continue to enjoy HD programming with smooth movement, reasonable brightness, and amazing black levels.  I'm just sayin....

Plasmas have been making a comeback since I bought mine.  It might be an option in the future...

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #98 of 115
I have the HD600's and although I wouldn't call them dark, the bass can get muddy from time to time. Do the 650's suffer from bass mudiness like the 600's ?

I will say that the HD600's have been warm and detailed enough to have influenced what I listen to. I listened to more electro/rock with my HD595's, but with the HD600's, I'm listening to more acoustic/classical/slower electronica.

I debated long and hard between the HD650 and 600. I'm studying sound design in school and decided to go with the more neutral of the two, but sometimes I wish I had gone for the 650's. If you are gonna do it, you might as well go all the way.

Since you already have some bright cans, get the 650's.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #99 of 115
The 650s don't exactly have the most accurate bass either.  Not many full sizes really do.  For full size, only orthos really do bass properly AFIK.  Maybe some 'stats do as well but I don't have experience with them.  Good IEMs do bass amazingly well though.  The graph tells the whole story.

Check out the measurements on the the LCD-2 as well.

Also just for fun, which one of these look more like a square wave to you?

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #101 of 115
Jan 20, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #102 of 115
Ask and you shall receive.

The driver is being fed a close to ideal square wave and the graph shows what the driver manages to output.  The closer it looks to that picture in the wiki article the better.  The technique isn't perfect and doesn't account for all variables though.

For example take the D5000.  It measures very well, but doesn't quite sound it.  That's because because of all the resonances in the frame and reflections in the ear cup that cause people to damp them hell with dynamat (so they now weigh a ton and aren't as comfy, and why IMO that's not done at the factory).  Headroom's measurements don't pick that up for some reason.  You can confirm its possible for measurements like that to be made by listening very closely to the bass line and noting that for a single note the attack is very clean and defined but decays in a rather muddy fashion.

Open headphones and BAs ought not suffer from that phenomenon, so their measurements are generally safe to rely on.  Incidentally, my XB700s don't seem to suffer from that drawback.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #103 of 115

Quote:
Quote:
Tangentially related...

My TV is too bright.  The backlight is set at 0/100 and its still to bright.  Especially at night.  Even at high noon, its only slightly too dark with the backlight turned all the way down.

Yet another reason I prefer tubes for my displays...

And lot's of lovely reflections in the glass screen.
mad.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #104 of 115

Quote:
Mine sound bright out of anything. I think in the summer when I have loads of time I'll send them to Sennheiser to see if they are defective or something. If they aren't defective I'll start looking for a much darker pair of headphones to replace them because their brightness annoys me.

I bought the K 601's pretty cheap and they're nice and dark. . . but not nearly good enough to replace the HD 650's.

"my final verdict was that the people concerned must have had the hearing of a bat."

That can't be the only reason.

They're not defective. The chance of a defective phone in both earpieces is nil. However, you might get Sennheiser to take a look at your ears while you're there, at least if you're the one who complained of anomalies at 16khz or thereabouts. I consider that whatever happens at 16khz is none of my business.
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #105 of 115
Quote:
And lot's of lovely reflections in the glass screen.
mad.gif

I forgot about that...

Might have to stay with LCDs.  I think I'd still prefer a CRT but even if somebody made a 42" CRT it would be impossible to get the damn thing upstairs anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back