Whats a good headphone with a lot of bass but still balanced?
Oct 1, 2011 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

jamesoh

New Head-Fier
Im looking for headphones with good bass, but I still want good balance. I want the mids and highs clear but still with a lot of bass.
I was thinking about something like hi-fi man he-4 or 5LE

Any comments or suggestions?

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 37
Denons make the DT990 look bass-light.  The DT990 does have a fair good amount of bass, but it loses it on the extension front.  It takes a noticeable rolloff after 50hz.  The Denon extends down flat to 30hz, and 20hz is still audible.  It's not a terribly exaggerated bass either, but it's that raw extension that makes it bassy when a bass-heavy song hits a lot of low notes.  The same can't be said for the Beyers.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 37
Does anyone know how the Denon d2000 would compare to hifiman he 300 and Beyer dt 990, and how Denon 5000 would compare to hifiman He 5LE?
Both sets have similar prices so I was wondering how they sounded compared to each other

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 37
Lots of people like the HE-300, but some don't. All the measurements I've seen of it suggest it's one to be avoided.

CSD waterfall plot by purrin suggests wide and bizarre excess energy in the mid-range.
Measurements by Tyll show a very colored frequency response, high distortion (for the price anyway) and some strong ringing.

Neither tester liked the headphones at all. It's possible they both got bad products, but that wouldn't speak much of quality control.

It does appear to have some deep bass, at least 
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 37
Does anyone know how the Denon d2000 would compare to hifiman he 300 and Beyer dt 990, and how Denon 5000 would compare to hifiman He 5LE?
Both sets have similar prices so I was wondering how they sounded compared to each other

Heya,

I have the Denon D2000, D5000, DT990. The D5000 is the bassier headphone, warmer, and able to hit solid low tones without suffering your mids & treble (the way the DT990 does, it's mids just are not there). I would definitely suggest the D2000 if you had to get something right now on the lower side of the cost. A D2000 is going to be flat/neutral, all the way to 30hz which is awesome. It's such a good headphone. It will do all the bass you can throw at it with authority. If you can swing for the D5000, or get a used one, it will have a bit more bass, so it will be even better for you--but it's a lot more expensive (try and a used one). I would not get the DT990 if you want balanced because it is not balanced.

D2000 all the way. Best value for a balanced closed headphone with monstrous ability in bass.
D5000 if you want to spend twice as much for woodback and a touch more warmth.
HD650 if you want a mellow open headphone (not as much bass as the Denons).

As for higher up, the Hifiman HE-500 is the only other headphone I have that is open that can do the bass that the Denon's do. But it's a high end, so not comparable really. But if you can find a used HE-500, I'd say get it.

Very best,

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 37
I've had D7000 and i've currently got D2000 and HE-5LE.

Both D2000 and D7000 have exceptional bass, not particularly bass heavy but the quality of the bass is excellent, they do however suffer with slightly recessed mids (More so the D7000) and i find the treble a tad veiled (more so the D2000) compared to the HE5-LE.

The HE-5LE is no bass monster, it reproduces bass with deadly accuracy but doesn't have the quantity of the Denon's, but it excels with the mids and highs, they are sparkly but not over bright, deffinately no sibilance to my ears, and they are crystal clear sounding.

For what you're after the D2000 + D7000 are fine cans, the D7000 being more refined and (alot) more expensive, both need only minimal amping.

If you can afford a good amp then i'd recommend the HE-5LE too if you can forgive the lack of bass quantity.

I've not personally tried a HE-500, but they're esaier to drive than the  HE-5LE and are (according to others) a more refined sound, they would need more amping than a Denon, but not nearly as much as the HE-5LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back