What is earphone really durable?
Jun 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

redbear

New Head-Fier
Hi,
it's my first post also if I read from a bit.
I know it's annoying question you have write in other posts.
ph34r.gif
By the way know I must change my earphone because it broke  again.
I bought a pair of Shure SE210 two years and half ago. After only 6 month of heavy use but not misuse his cable near phone show copper inside, no take out from cable, always put inside its container etc. I used them with cord over my ears, it was almost scorched! They substitute in one week with a new pair of earphone. From them I use it normally 6/7 hr every two days and with cable long my chest. Now warranty is finish and contact between cable and phone isn't right.
Is it possible find a earphone that last more than one year? I mean at least three or more years.

I google a lot and find some solutions but I ain't sure. I never buy a Shure or a Sony phone. I put as maximum price 130€. I like heavy metal and rock, I hear also some pop and some classical...

I found as possibility:

• Audèo PFE has a fantastic silicon ear guides and great sound almost like two armatures phone.
  • q-jays seems well build and as two drivers (now in bargain for 115€)
  • philips 9850 it cost less than any other and they don't sound bad
  • UE 700 has two drivers but I'm skeptical about his durability ( I found them at 90€)
  • UE super.fi 3 is less quality sound than other but it has user changeable cable. I can't pay more for super.fi 5 pro or others UM.

I'm thinking to buy an expansive durable model to use every day or in option ( i don't really like it) ad expansive model that last one year of heavy use but used only on weekend and a low budget model for every day for example a-jays

what do you think I should look for?

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 15
That looks like a good starting list to me, i'd scratch the sf.3 from it though, they do have replaceable cable, but that wasn't what died on mine (a driver). Maybe add the monster turbine, they have a limited lifetime warranty which they seem very good at honouring. Don't put too much store by how many drivers a set of earphones has, it's not a clear signal an earphone is good or bad.

Note: the phonak audeo PFE is about to be replaced by a new model (pre-order is on at the moment), just fyi.

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 15
Actually the new PFE's not a new model, it's an entry grade model that's pretty much the same hardware wise but have less accesories with a different filter than before. But great earphones non-the-less and lowers its price substantially

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 15
Second the Monster suggestions. I have the Coppers and they are built like tanks. Also, there is a lifetime manufacturer warranty as well as a 1 tip full replacement free. I really don't see it getting any better than that in regards to durability and in the case of something happening you are still covered.

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Second the Monster suggestions. I have the Coppers and they are built like tanks. Also, there is a lifetime manufacturer warranty as well as a 1 tip full replacement free. I really don't see it getting any better than that in regards to durability and in the case of something happening you are still covered.

You are talking about Pro version. I can't afford that price. As I read from
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354448,00.asp only this version is like a tank with stronger connection between cable and earphone and they have lifetime warranty. I'll ask better to monster about this last for normal version warranty.  

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Personally I'm not so sure about the durability of Phonaks and Q-Jays. The cable on my Q-Jays has hardened over the course of a year and I wouldn't be surprised if it started cracking soon. My Phonaks died the same death, though Phonak admitted to the issue and claimed to have fixed it in a later batch.

I'll second the recommendation for the Panasonic HJE900 though.

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Personally I'm not so sure about the durability of Phonaks and Q-Jays. The cable on my Q-Jays has hardened over the course of a year and I wouldn't be surprised if it started cracking soon. My Phonaks died the same death, though Phonak admitted to the issue and claimed to have fixed it in a later batch.

I'll second the recommendation for the Panasonic HJE900 though.

Damn... I had same history with my shure. I hoped that silicon ear guides correct that problem but it seems I should look something other, like Panasonic. I'm just reading some post here about them and it looks like interesting. How is it them sound compared with Q-jays or Phonak? did you try it?

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Damn... I had same history with my shure. I hoped that silicon ear guides correct that problem but it seems I should look something other, like Panasonic. I'm just reading some post here about them and it looks like interesting. How is it them sound compared with Q-jays or Phonak? did you try it?

My reviews of the HJE900 and the PFEs are in the thread linked in my signature:

Multi-IEM Review

I also wrote a longer set of impressions of the HJE900 here:

Clash of the Titans: HJE900 vs. CK10 vs. Turbine Pro Gold

Q-Jays review coming eventually but overall I feel that they are on the same level sound-wise as the Phonaks and HJEs despite costing more. The resolution and bass texture are quite impressive on the Q-Jays but they don't have the overall dynamic and natural feel of the HJE900s.

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #15 of 15

Just what I'm looking for, natural feel and good dynamic but also clear sound. You made a great review work. I dig on it. I like also CK10 but they are too much expansive compared with HJE900.  For some minutes I thought to UE super.fi 5 pro but
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/440727/ultimate-ears-super-fi-5-pro-review
What gave me a tip on reliability of UE model. 6 cables in 2 years sounds like low build quality.

You persuade me to chose HJE900
bigsmile_face.gif
at least, thanks. I know problems about find another cable but I have some japanese friends in sunrise country that could send it to me.

Quote:
Quote:

My reviews of the HJE900 and the PFEs are in the thread linked in my signature:

Multi-IEM Review

I also wrote a longer set of impressions of the HJE900 here:

Clash of the Titans: HJE900 vs. CK10 vs. Turbine Pro Gold

Q-Jays review coming eventually but overall I feel that they are on the same level sound-wise as the Phonaks and HJEs despite costing more. The resolution and bass texture are quite impressive on the Q-Jays but they don't have the overall dynamic and natural feel of the HJE900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back