What are the best IEM for £100 - £200 ?
Sep 15, 2011 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
I have some shure SE115 atm.... They are quite good but I would like some better ones...

I am looking for :

Excellent bass > Deep, good PRAT

Good mids > preferably not too recessed mids

Highs > Non sibilant, Dont mind slightly recessed highs, find harsh / excessive treble very annoying.

I want some detailed but musical sounding headphones which are very euphonic, *nice* sounding, I dont want overly clinical, sterile IEM although I do want details.

Please recommend me some headphones, for reference I have Denon D2000 headphones and I like the sound of these except I find the treble a tiny bit sibilant and also there is not quite enough mid bass punch although overall I liek them a lot and would like something to compliment them, mainly listen to electronic music and would like some really punchy bass with details as well. Please do not reccomend any monster, bose or apple products lol.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 19

Quote:
 Please do not reccomend any monster, bose or apple products lol.

I agree 100%, minus the monster turbine line... check out the Monster Turbine Pro Gold's, they are regarded very well here on head-fi. Hard to match the bass of them with even top tier IEM's

i have a denon d7000 to compare to, and yes, while it's apples to oranges, the MTPG's actually hold up pretty well in the sound compartment.

bass goes low, very nice sub-bass as well as a mid-bass punch. Some people say the mid's are slightly recessed, but I disagree- the high's are very nice and detailed as well. Overall they provide a very well balanced sound spectrum...

or check out jvc fx700, or GR07's

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 19
You're not going to find many Head-Fiers recommending you anything from Apple (except the ADDIEM), Bose or Beats by Dr. Dre stuff. However when you say Monster I hope you're referring to Beats by Dr.Dre and not their actual line, because as daMdaM said above, the Turbines are great IEMs and should definitely be checked out.

In saying that, your budget pretty much covers a large chunk of good IEMs, so I'd definitely look into the GR07, FX700, EX600, Westone 3, SM3 v2 (just slightly above £200 I think). 

Maybe ignore the last two suggestions as they don't have really deep bass. They have excellent bass but maybe not overpowering, which by the sounds of is your main priority. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 19
Hmm I found some Shure SE215 for £66 delivered so I bought those as that is ridiculous value for money as I can sell my SE115 and total cost will be like £25 lol...

I will use these for now and get a pair of triple or dual driver ones such as the Westone 3 in the future.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Hmm I found some Shure SE215 for £66 delivered so I bought those as that is ridiculous value for money as I can sell my SE115 and total cost will be like £25 lol...

I will use these for now and get a pair of triple or dual driver ones such as the Westone 3 in the future.

Remember that the SE215 is a dynamic driver and the Westone 2/3's are balanced armatures. You're going to get a very very different sound signature comparing those, so I'm not sure why you're saying "get a pair of triple or dual driver ones" as they do not work on the same technology. The SE215's should suit you if you want heavy bass, but the norm is that balanced armatures are lighter on the bass than dynamics. 

Enjoy!!

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 19
But wont a triple driver pair for example have a better overall frequency response irrelevant of what the driver type is as they will have a dedicated driver for different frequencies...

Similar to if you had a loudspeaker with a 10" bass driver, a 5" midrange and a tweeter as opposed to a single driver?

And the overall effect would be better no?

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 19
id say IE7, RE-262, or SE215

they all sit on different levels though, the 262 is top but wont like getting plugged into some tiny crap low powered DAP.  the IE7 is fab but vented so lasck isolation and its a level below the 262.  the 215 is a level atleast down again but it ticks all your boxes and it has a serios low end and isolates great too.

i would say 530 or 535 too but you wont really find a 530 and the 535 is out of bugdet

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 19
The Sennheiser IE8 are highely recommended because they offers deep punchy bass and has bass knob to increase it to maximum. They also offers rich detailed sound in mids n highs with huge soundstage(out of head) and serve above genres music very well. The others IEMs i will recommend are here like GR07, EX600, UE TF10Pro, JVC FX700, MTP Copper, EX7550 and MTP Gold.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 19
You can get ie8 for 200 pounds used if you know where to look...
I loved my ie8, sm3 and tf10; all are good.
ie8 most comfortable (improves a lot after burn in)
sm3 and tf10 most monitor like clarity (personally prefer sm3)

don't go for fx700; they have bad isolation

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 19
Well, as always I have to recommend the GR07s. They sound great across the spectrum with no real downside to speak of. Give them plenty of burn-in though, because they are pretty rough initially.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 19
Going from the se115 the se215 will be a good jump up. I 2nd the recommendation of the GR07. I own a top of the line 3 driver BA (SM3) and much prefer my GR07 over them.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Going from the se115 the se215 will be a good jump up. I 2nd the recommendation of the GR07. I own a top of the line 3 driver BA (SM3) and much prefer my GR07 over them.

And I go the SE215 for a mere £67 delivered and sold my SE115 for £40 so thats £27 overall cost! Pretty amazing bang for buck there!

Tbh I have never been that impressed with my SE115...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back