What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #5,071 of 14,566
Have you heard Rimsky-Korsakov's Sadko (Song Of India) or Capriccio Espagnol
Sadko isn't well known, but Capriccio Espagnol is popular and frequently performed as an orchestral showpiece.

Shameless plug here
Borodin's "Steppes of Central Asia"
Also by Borodin: Prince Igor (overture, Polovtsian Dances), and Symphony No. 2
Here's an album on Tidal that puts all of these pieces together: https://tidal.com/album/54303341

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #5,073 of 14,566
As usual, 3 recommendations:

1) Historical - Furtwangler on EMI or Weingartner on Naxos ( and other labels)
2) Stereo Era - Bruno Walter on CBS, Karajan 63 on DG, Jochum on Phillips
3) Digital Era - Thielemann on Sony, Barenboim on Teldec, Chailly on Decca

Thnx!

v

I don't know if he has done a complete cycle, but I find the Leonard Bernstein performances (stereo era) very good. I am biased though. It was Beethoven's 3rd by Bernstein (my parents had that record) that completely drew me back into classical as 18 year old boy who was only listening to rock at that time.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #5,074 of 14,566
Wholeheartedly agree - the CD with Carlors' 5th and 7th is one for the ages...

v

I know we are talking Beethoven now, but the same applies to his recording of Brahms 4th symphony.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #5,075 of 14,566
What stacks will have access to the Gadget? I would, of course, be interested to hear it on both headphones and speakers. Gumby and Yggy stacks would be my votes, though I understand if Yggy is already too busy with the turn table and multiple power amps and preamps.
Should be movable - if we know when you will arrive. I have a little pull as the Schittr mgr is my son-in-law.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 13, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #5,077 of 14,566
What is the best Beethoven cycle?

Just in case the participants in Mike's thread run out of posting energy before you become tired of reading opinions on this subject, please be aware that you can go elsewhere on the web (musicweb, gramophone, talkclassical, classicfm, stevehoffman, etc., etc., even threads dedicated to the question in other Head-Fi forums). You'll find every dimension of question within some never-ending discussion(s). Some of the opinions are strongly held, some writers claim to own or have listened through many dozens of recorded cycles.

Happy reading to the extent you care to, but I'm pretty sure the pit is bottomless.

Cheers,
Alan

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #5,079 of 14,566
I don't know if he has done a complete cycle, but I find the Leonard Bernstein performances (stereo era) very good. I am biased though. It was Beethoven's 3rd by Bernstein (my parents had that record) that completely drew me back into classical as 18 year old boy who was only listening to rock at that time.

From memory, a cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic, a cycle with the New York Philharmonic, and he may have covered all of them in recorded live concerts (not sure which orchestra for those).

At least some of the "which is best" debaters argue that its the first one that "hooked" you ... matters more than all of the rest of the details. My Dad's RCA Red Seal vinyl of Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra is long gone, and I haven't purchased it on CD, so I haven't actually done the experiment to see if I agree.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #5,081 of 14,566
Just in case the participants in Mike's thread run out of posting energy before you become tired of reading opinions on this subject, please be aware that you can go elsewhere on the web (musicweb, gramophone, talkclassical, classicfm, stevehoffman, etc., etc., even threads dedicated to the question in other Head-Fi forums). You'll find every dimension of question within some never-ending discussion(s). Some of the opinions are strongly held, some writers claim to own or have listened through many dozens of recorded cycles.

Happy reading to the extent you care to, but I'm pretty sure the pit is bottomless.

Cheers,
Alan

True - however, believe or not, I find it more enjoyable to talk music here - you know, how here discussions about audio can turn sour pretty quickly, things get personal, etc? Well, over the music forums is the same about music. However, here, discussions about music are pretty chill... I like that!

v

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #5,082 of 14,566
From memory, a cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic, a cycle with the New York Philharmonic, and he may have covered all of them in recorded live concerts (not sure which orchestra for those).

At least some of the "which is best" debaters argue that its the first one that "hooked" you ... matters more than all of the rest of the details. My Dad's RCA Red Seal vinyl of Toscanini and the NBC Symphony Orchestra is long gone, and I haven't purchased it on CD, so I haven't actually done the experiment to see if I agree.

I heard classical all my life, from early infancy - dad did not listen to anything else - First Beethoven I loved was Haitink first digital 9th with the Concertgebouw - double LP - had "DIGITAL" plastered all over, to remind you it was special... remember loving and playing to death. I recently bought the record, again, after so many years... guess what? MEH :D

OTOH - Nimrod - I imprinted on Bernstein's !!!! :D everyone else sounds super fast to me ! :D - and I still like it.

v

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #5,083 of 14,566
... remember loving and playing to death. I recently bought the record, again, after so many years... guess what? MEH :D ...

One of the concerns that has kept me from pulling the trigger for one of the Toscanini box sets. The memories of engaging that music are wrapped up along with the triumph of following the suggestions of a neighborhood Navy veteran to bring back to life a point-to-point wired Altec Lansing amplifier, testing tubes on the machine at the local drug store, the resounding "plop" of the Garrard changer queuing up the next side (forgive me current vinyl users, I didn't know any better back then). Not sure I want to be disappointed!

Also the reviews of the various sets all seem to find some combination of "a step forward" (improved sound, more material than previous efforts, etc.) but also some "a half step back" (duplicated and/or mislabeled tracks, missing CD from particular production run, etc). I keep holding out for the ultimate collection at a reasonable price; although I'll probably succumb when I encounter the right price for a used box on eBay.

Cheers,
Alan

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #5,085 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back