What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 14, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #5,086 of 14,566

"I spent a good chunk of time on Sunday listening to the Gadget and I was impressed. When toggled between bypass and the pitch correction, with corrected pitch the music was more musical and euphonic. While the demo shown could only support up to 44.1/16, the final production one will support higher PCM bit rates. I look forward to adjusting and then listening to some of my favorite older live folk and bluegrass recordings through the Gadget. I may even, finally, begin to play along… "

Awesome! That's the first impression of the Gadget Ive heard that didn't just call it a weird sound effect...

Oct 15, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #5,087 of 14,566
Here's to hearing the gadget a week from Saturday!

I'm curious, though, whether there's any chance, in a universe of a Loki Mini, of a Gadget or Eitr MAXI, that is:

(1) Eitr with BNC or perhaps AES/EBU out
(2) Gadget with multiple "non-ass" inputs and the ability to switch easily among them. I'd love to have a coax for Eitr and a Coax for a high quality CD/DVD/Bluray player. It would make the gadget a digital hub. #apple #1998

Having written that, the outcome that would make the most sense to me would be a Bifrost-sized gadget with a full complement of inputs (including Gen 5 usb) and Coax/AES/EBU out. $499? Maybe?

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #5,088 of 14,566
Certainly EITR with BNC would be welcome ... I prefer the connection and maybe a pinch more SQ. If AES, then I may be persuaded to go for an Yggdrasil !

Look forward to your listening experience with the Gadget.

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #5,089 of 14,566
Soooo how do you tell if the glitch fix is in your Yiggy?
Mine was purchased 2/2016. It was at Schiit for a warranty check on July of this year because of getting drop outs through the BNC and Coax connection supposed to check out fine but is still there, switched to Optical all is fine, I would like to go back to Coax.Rebooting does not help.
Also at that time in there the BNC/jack board screw-up was replaced.
Was anything else done to it? Was not listed on invoice except for complete electrical check.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #5,090 of 14,566
Soooo how do you tell if the glitch fix is in your Yiggy?
Mine was purchased 2/2016. It was at Schiit for a warranty check on July of this year because of getting drop outs through the BNC and Coax connection supposed to check out fine but is still there, switched to Optical all is fine, I would like to go back to Coax.Rebooting does not help.
Also at that time in there the BNC/jack board screw-up was replaced.
Was anything else done to it? Was not listed on invoice except for complete electrical check.

Wouldn't think there's a practical way to check since baldr seems to indicate the firmware is what's updated. You'd have to open up the Yggdrasil and connect to the RJ45 through a terminal program to get the f/ version.

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #5,092 of 14,566
During dinner with Jason last week, we discussed the need for changes on the production line over time and why. He will probably write a chapter soon with respect to this. Below is my opening with respect to our digital products, particularly those which are upgradable:

For those who are concerned/worried, some additional notes on Schiit upgrades. Since it is inevitable that all of Schiit's upgradable DAC line will be upgraded someday, policy must be relied upon. As I said, we are compelled to change parts from time to time in all of our gear. A typical example is AVX no longer makes a ceramic bypass cap we specced into generally more than one of our products – well, I guess we are stuck with another maker, such as Kemet. This is a commodity part, not like say an expensive Analog Devices DAC which would significantly impact sound or design, a very rare event. Such commodity parts changes are insignificant in all ways, including sonically. This is a change which we will NOT do to older units – not just because it is pointless but because it degrades reliability to work on completed PCB assemblies. The Rand Corporation did a study on why F-14 fighters crashed years ago and the conclusion was too much maintenance. I am well content to listen to my oldest of old Yggys with original commodity parts.

Since all three (Multi Yggy, Gumby, and Bifrost) are software driven, from time to time (rarely) we change software. We have had one software change in several years as I mentioned above. This was done for measurement purposes only, and is completely inaudible. It was done only for the fact that we have many strident, dyspeptic reviewers and shills for other companies who mention any measurement behaviour that in their judgement may serve their purposes. In that case, why do we do it? Because we can due to our software based design while most others cannot. Further, we do not have to do a thing other than remove and replace a socketed chip which was designed for upgrade – no reliability degradation. So if a unit comes back for upgrade/repair, we do it as a matter of course. Because we can, and we will continue to do so. Should you be in high dudgeon because you suspect your unit may not have the software change? Hell, no because there is no audible change. You may worry if you are going to send it to someone like atomic Bob who will measure it below -90db, but otherwise no. Besisdes, when we see it back for a major change, which is inevitable, we will change the software ROM anyway.

Then we have a situation which uniquely affects our delta-sigma stuff. The specmanship hand-job. Our first Bifrosts had AK4399 DACs. Since Delta Sigma DAC makers compete heavily for maximum market share and are designed in an environment where no one has ever given any of their DACs a serious listen, only a tech/spec review against their competition, the effort is toward ever cheaper, ever better speccing new DACs. The AK4490 was just the thing – it was cheaper than the AK4399 and measured a few db better. It also had a multiple digital filter feature which was a significant as mud flaps for sport cars for audiophiles. Nothing more than more hand-job and ZERO audiophile value. So we designed out the 4399 and designed in the 4490. Why? Because AKM stopped making the 4399. They are gone from the market, except for a few hundred here and there. Perfect for some expensive high end company to make $1000 Modi-Uber equivalents marketing the 4399 as a better sounding 4490. So which DAC do I like? It doesn't matter, because my choice was taken away by AKM, but my preference is clear. So in the case of Sigma-Delta, my freedom as a maker and yours as a buyer have been taken away by suits who have never listened to anything much better than Bluetooth. Sad, huh? That's why I prefer multibit - it constrains my design freedom far less than middle market crap which is so often marketed as high end by those who often do not realize what they are doing.

Now, what about all of you early and earlier adopters out there. The mantra is that we will have major changes from time to time. A DAC at the Yggy level makes major changes difficult, but it will happen. The truth is that there are NO major audible changes (besides the USB already offered) as of yet. They will be announced when developed/possible. At that time, all upgrades will be performed on units sent to us. Honest. Have faith. No Schiit.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 16, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #5,094 of 14,566
Any chance early Yggy adopters can get the socketed software upgrade IC to self install?

This is the kind of request that will cause these guys to stop telling us anything. Didn’t you read what he just wrote? If you don’t have the newer software version it doesn’t matter because you don’t need it.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #5,095 of 14,566
Mike, I have one of the first Yggy's...... I waited for two years for it. I sleep fine not worrying about it's "performance" tweaks. When you have something significant for us I know you will let us know.

Life is too short to not enjoy what you have.

As always, Thank you!

Oct 16, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #5,096 of 14,566
This is the kind of request that will cause these guys to stop telling us anything. Didn’t you read what he just wrote? If you don’t have the newer software version it doesn’t matter because you don’t need it.

Ummm.... I seem to remember that I bought an upgradable DAC. There are currently replacement upgraded software ICs. If Schiit were to charge a nominal fee for sending out the upgrade to DIY install, shouldn’t be too much of an issue, no?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #5,097 of 14,566
Ummm.... I seem to remember that I bought an upgradable DAC. There are currently replacement upgraded software ICs. If Schiit were to charge a nominal fee for sending out the upgrade to DIY install, shouldn’t be too much of an issue, no?

To quote Mike:

“We have had one software change in several years as I mentioned above. This was done for measurement purposes only, and is completely inaudible. It was done only for the fact that we have many strident, dyspeptic reviewers and shills for other companies who mention any measurement behaviour that in their judgement may serve their purposes.”

Why would they offer a DIY upgrade for something “completely inaudible”?

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #5,098 of 14,566

These guys are pretty strict as far as their warranty conditions. I'm not sure that they'll even entertain DIY efforts on their gear of any sort without voiding warranty support.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #5,100 of 14,566
These guys are pretty strict as far as their warranty conditions. I'm not sure that they'll even entertain DIY efforts on their gear of any sort without voiding warranty support.

Did not seem to bother Schiit when I DIY (self) installed the Gen 5 that they sent me.

I think Mike said INAUDIBLE.

Not the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back