What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #5,101 of 14,565
Yes it is the point. Gen 5 is designed to be a meaningful audible change. Updates that are inaudible and which produce no meaningful change are more likely to break the machine than improve it. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Oct 17, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #5,102 of 14,565
Not the point.

Actually, it is. It would make zero sense to offer an upgrade that provided no benefit to the consumer. The change goes into all new production and to units that come in for other service or upgrades.

Oct 17, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #5,103 of 14,565
Amazing where stuff I read here pops up again:

The king's chamber is a lonely, dark, and silent place. It measures 10.47 metres (34.4 ft) from east to west and 5.234 metres (17.17 ft) north to south. It has a flat roof 5.974 metres (19.60 ft) above the floor and is entirely faced with granite. The only object in it is a rectangular granite "sarcophagus".
Apart from a 13 second reverb tail several remarkable resonances can be heard that are connected to 432 Hz, the fundamental of Stellar's native and ultimately natural tone scale and of this Universe.
An interesting way to "experience" this IR of the Kings Chamber is to retune your music and instruments to concert A pitch A = 432Hz and then the true resonance of this ancient chamber can be brought to life for your musical creations.
As can be appreciated in these impulse responses The King's chamber resonates very strongly to an F# chord, and the Kings Chamber coffer resonates to A, which is the Minor third of F-sharp. 729hz and its octaves are the big notes: it is a perfect F-sharp when A is tuned to 432hz. However the modern well tempered F-sharp of 740 Hz (A=440 Hz) is close enough to also bring the room to resonate, especially two octaves down at 185 Hz.

This is about the kings chamber of the great pyramid of Gizeh ofcourse.
(And in no way do I claim this to be science of any kind. No idea if it even is a proven thing or not.)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #5,104 of 14,565
Amazing where stuff I read here pops up again:

The king's chamber is a lonely, dark, and silent place. It measures 10.47 metres (34.4 ft) from east to west and 5.234 metres (17.17 ft) north to south. It has a flat roof 5.974 metres (19.60 ft) above the floor and is entirely faced with granite. The only object in it is a rectangular granite "sarcophagus".
Apart from a 13 second reverb tail several remarkable resonances can be heard that are connected to 432 Hz, the fundamental of Stellar's native and ultimately natural tone scale and of this Universe.
An interesting way to "experience" this IR of the Kings Chamber is to retune your music and instruments to concert A pitch A = 432Hz and then the true resonance of this ancient chamber can be brought to life for your musical creations.
As can be appreciated in these impulse responses The King's chamber resonates very strongly to an F# chord, and the Kings Chamber coffer resonates to A, which is the Minor third of F-sharp. 729hz and its octaves are the big notes: it is a perfect F-sharp when A is tuned to 432hz. However the modern well tempered F-sharp of 740 Hz (A=440 Hz) is close enough to also bring the room to resonate, especially two octaves down at 185 Hz.

This is about the kings chamber of the great pyramid of Gizeh ofcourse.
(And in no way do I claim this to be science of any kind. No idea if it even is proven thing or not.)
So, play in A=432Hz and get mummified.
Nice.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #5,106 of 14,565
This one's for Costanza.....
Catpiano.gif

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #5,108 of 14,565
If you are a real alternative archeologist you would say tuned to OOOOOOHHHHMMMM.
So ohm is 432 mhz?
Apparantly these boxes are tuned at 432Hz as well. https://nathandickey.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/demythologizing-the-giant-stone-boxes-of-egypt/
Well...lunchtime is over :) back to carving my own monsters.
HA! The word Exactly-ish is used in the linked article. Not sure that is a real word...
But, it made me think about The Gadget. Which will get you Exactly-ish to the musical tuning you crave!

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #5,109 of 14,565
Yes it is the point. Gen 5 is designed to be a meaningful audible change. Updates that are inaudible and which produce no meaningful change are more likely to break the machine than improve it. Don't fix what isn't broken.

As an early adopter of a Yggy, I looked to purchase a DAC that was promoted as Mike’s “Best he could do”, and was noted as being upgradeable including software. This mattered to me, as the prime differentiators of the Yggy were 1) Megaburrito filter derived from earlier Theta DACs, 2) R2R architecture, 3) Mike Moffat the brains behind the engineering.

A while back there was an anecdotal issue with claims of The Glitch being audible by a single guy, on threads over on CA. Caused a firestorm of similar denials on the basis of it not being audible. I have no opinion here, I’m agnostic.

After measuring at different sites, the The Glitch was publicly identified and quantified. Then at some later time, Mike considered it a bug and devoted his engineering time to revise the software to take care of the bug and rolled it into production. I know why he did it, as a CYA to appease any reviewer or lab qualms to minimize any similar future Stereophile “obsolete tech” PR. Constant Product Improvement is all well and good, but what was left out of the process was providing Yggy legacy owners the option of upgrading to this new de-bugged modular software. That lack of process is what I am addressing.

Many specific upgrades have come and gone for almost all Schiit DACs. The Gen 5 was an across platform upgrade, not Yggy specific. Nothing official for the Yggy in 2-1/2 years. Now, it has been revealed that the software had been revised, and is currently in production with no firm plan announced to get it to legacy owners.

In these days after “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor” unrealized promises have left me a little jaded. I only wish for Schiit to be more proactive in supporting its legacy customers in this instance.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #5,110 of 14,565
Did not seem to bother Schiit when I DIY (self) installed the Gen 5 that they sent me.

Well I guess then in theory if it's just a chip exchange, like a DIP socket PnP, then I expect it's doable, given that they are assured of your competence and/or they include a fairly detailed set of instructions with the chip(s). If its more like a SOIC chip swap, I suspect that they'd start looking at your credentials with a bit more scrutiny before signing off.

Also, the Gen 5 was a straightforward USB input card exchange, if I'm not mistaken. This -90dB fix chip may be located within an integral circuit where a solder bead crossed connection or inadvertent grounding may have serious product repercussions. If you are an accomplished DIY solder slinger of some breadth, you may want to pursue this with him offline, rather than this public forum where everyone would want a crack at it if anyone does.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #5,111 of 14,565
It might very well be that DIP8 chip like in Mimby and yes there's always the possibility of installing it backwards, which might/will kill at least the chip itself by feeding voltage to data pins. You can rest assured that a small percentage of users would fail at this and play dumb.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #5,112 of 14,565
Well I guess then in theory if it's just a chip exchange, like a DIP socket PnP, then I expect it's doable, given that they are assured of your competence and/or they include a fairly detailed set of instructions with the chip(s). If its more like a SOIC chip swap, I suspect that they'd start looking at your credentials with a bit more scrutiny before signing off.

Also, the Gen 5 was a straightforward USB input card exchange, if I'm not mistaken. This -90dB fix chip may be located within an integral circuit where a solder bead crossed connection or inadvertent grounding may have serious product repercussions. If you are an accomplished DIY solder slinger of some breadth, you may want to pursue this with him offline, rather than this public forum where everyone would want a crack at it if anyone does.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

I had already taken it offline.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #5,115 of 14,565
O, if only they had the benefit of hindsight. :ksc75smile: They were most likely not only breaking new ground, they were probably inventing the possibilities. Without knowing what they were on about.

I'm reminded of those old PC Infocom text adventure games:

The king's chamber is a lonely dark and silent place.
You are facing an open coffer.
On your left above your head is a small opening in the wall with its cut slot slanted in the direction of the coffer
On your right...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back