What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 12, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #5,042 of 14,566
What is the best Beethoven cycle?

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #5,044 of 14,566
I'm partial to the first Beethoven. They lost focus on the story in Beethoven's 2nd and I think they might have used a different dog.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #5,045 of 14,566
What is the best Beethoven cycle?
Overall, I like Bruno Walter CBS cycle, and Reiner's CSO cycle. The old Jochum cycle on EMI in the box I discuss above is a great deal, as you get Brahms and Bruckner cycles as well. IMO there are good later recordings that many others will like as well.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 12, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #5,046 of 14,566
I've just got his 1963 Berliner Philharmoniker 9 symphonies on Blu-ray, but haven't had a chance to listen yet, hoping for a good result.

That's the one I am talking about - that is the latest 96/24 remaster - again, placing it in terms of "when" - there was a mid 90s one which has been years since I listened to it. There is also the SACD from the mid noughties - which I don't have. In fact until the bluyray ( that is where I got mine, extracted from it - assume the downloadable version is the same) I hadn't really gone back to it - kind of distracted by the myriad of new approaches - from the HIP influenced of the new recordings of Chailly and Haitink, to the Furtwangler-isms of both Barenboim and Thielemann to the hardcore HIP of Harnoncourt... Not until I found the bluray on pretty cheap ($8 at amoeba!) revisited karajan after some good 6-8 years!

v

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #5,048 of 14,566
Unlike Furtwangler, who kept in his employ and defended Jewish musicians in Berlin, Herb was an enthusiastic member of the party. Stories also point to his tendency to be an imperious ass, unless you had the charms of Ann-Sophie Mutter.

Freaking Herbie actually joined twice! Indeed, as usual there are gradations and contradictions - In fact none other than Yehudi Menuhin defended and supported Furtwangler's appointment to Chicago - which almost happened, until derailed by opposition due to his wartime activities - One of music history greatest "what ifs?" - Imagine, instead of having those wonderful Chicago Living Stereos with Fritz Reiner, we could have had them with Furts!

v

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #5,051 of 14,566
I'm partial to the first Beethoven. They lost focus on the story in Beethoven's 2nd and I think they might have used a different dog.

LOL!

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #5,054 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back