What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 24, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #3,361 of 14,566
Reading all the above after a few days not seeing this tread I can say the following.
I was the one saying "something" about Americans.
It was a very superficial joke about the way Americans (and all English speaking people for that matter) tend to Anglicize the names of cities throughout the world.
Sometimes in a manner that makes the real name of the city untraceable.
It was not ment to be racist or offending at all so I didn't understand the fuzz and responded in kind to the moderator who deleted my post.
I (can only speak for myself) do not look down the nose at Americans.
I do however detect a lot of things I do not understand and comment about it.
For a polyglot bending names is difficult to grab.
In my 100 year practice as a physician I never ever got any complaint whatsoever about racism, male chauvinism or something like it.
Yes I am a cynic and I like sarcasm.
I also like to make fun out of my own, sometimes pathetic, behavior.
Now .... burn me at the stake.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #3,362 of 14,566
I just listened to Astrid Varnay's 1953 Liebestod from the Tristan with Jochum, whose Bruckner I like a lot (though whose Meistersinger I find needlessly flabby). I've begun the opera as a whole and I like it. Varnay did not sing Isolde much (neither did Mödl tbh, but Mödl's 1952 portrayal is among the best ever) but her voice has something of the Irish princess's nobility. I'll report back once I hear the Nacht der Liebe.

May 24, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #3,363 of 14,566
Reading all the above after a few days not seeing this tread I can say the following.
It was a very superficial joke about the way Americans (and all English speaking people for that matter) tend to Anglicize the names of cities throughout the world.
Sometimes in a manner that makes te real name of the city untraceable.
It was not ment to be racist or offending at all so I didn't understand the fuzz and responded in kind to the moderator who deleted my post.
In my 100 year practice as a physician I never ever got any complaint whatsoever about racism, male chauvinism or something like it.
Are you available to be my primary care physician? You seem to be the only physician I have observed to be "my kind" of doctor.
P. S. Medicare pays on a reduced fee schedule.

May 24, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,364 of 14,566
Are you available to be my primary care physician? You seem to be the only physician I have observed to be "my kind" of doctor.
P. S. Medicare pays on a reduced fee schedule.
If you ever have a nosebleed or an IEM (which I really vote against always) stuck in your ear and you happen to be in my neighborhood, please come by.
I'll help you for free. Or a beer. A nice chat. Whatever.

May 24, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #3,365 of 14,566
I think one thing you guys that post a lot forget is that there are other people reading the thread that may only post occasionally, or not at all, that may be offended by the things you say. It's something I have to remember when communicating in my organization, and that is, "Don't type something you wouldn't want everyone in the organization to see." That guy over there that gets butt-hurt at anything political or socially ambiguous?... yep, he's usually the guy that ends up getting forwarded that one email that never should have been seen by him, and now I'm in deep schiit.

And no, I'm not the one who reported anything. Just making an observation.

May 24, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3,367 of 14,566
Sometimes in a manner that makes the real name of the city untraceable.

You my brother from another mother. So sorry I happen to be a lawyer :gs1000smile:

May 24, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #3,368 of 14,566
I am perfectly aware who reported my post so don't worry.
And I like my posts read by the whole world.

I'd like to stay anonymous.
0mlDr_f-thumbnail-100-0.jpg

May 25, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #3,369 of 14,566
Well, here I go on the second tale of the path to the Manhattan. This time I am listening to a little light Devin Townsend on my DIY transport, which at least gives me 60-70min between changes, twice that of the turntable. The problem is that my CD collection is not perfectly alphabetized as of yet, which requires that I have my next CD at the ready. That would be Mahler Symphony #2 Klemperer/Philharmonia Orchestra with the incomparable Elisabeth Schwarzkopf recorded in the earlier days of stereophonic recordings.

So I returned from Vietnam and finished school, went to work at Douglas Aircraft, went to South America, and finally got back in 1976. This is when I became interested in Stereo and Audio reproduction gear. I went to reclaim my Banjo from my folks, uncrated it and was devastated to find its neck broken, right behind the nut! Fawwwwk!!! That Banjo was a lot of good memories and money to me. My buddy, Jeff Simpson, was the owner of McCabe’s Long Beach and he put it back together for me. Most of his business was Martin and Martin wannabe guitars, with a few Gibson Banjos, Mandolins and their wannabes thrown in. McCabes was a acoustic shop only, nothing electric allowed. Back then, such a shop could still survive. Musical librarian that Jeff was, he had a few drawings/sketches of old prewar necks which he gave to me to copy for my reference. At the time, I remember comparing the dimensions on the fretwork which were slightly different than my much newer neck, which I subconsciously stuffed until a few years later.

So I started to practice again, sometimes in the good company of various members of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band who would hang out (usually individually) at McCabes from time to time. In their earliest of days, Jackson Browne was there singing with them, but that is another story. Anyway, back then my main interest was building various prototypes for what would become the first Theta gear. That is exactly what I did.

Theta Electronics was born and my Banjo was bugging me, as post repair the action was never what it had been in the old days. I decided to have a new neck made and found a Luthier in Muscle Shoals, Alabama who took the job. His name was Randy Wood, and he was doing work for a fairly obscure guy back then named Johnny Cash. It took a hundred years or so, and the Banjo finally came back. The action was fixed – it played like butter. But wait – God it was harmonically true. It sounded tonally perfect. It lacked the warm richness of the prewar banjos (like tubes) but it was note for note perfect, all up and down the neck. I went back and tried new banjos again, and not only was the warmness not there, but they were tonally messed up. (As were the newer guitars when I ran scales)

Hey, but genius that I was, I had it all reasoned out. The missing warmness was of course due to the not yet aged and seasoned wood in the post WW2 banjo pot. Further, the action and tonally perfect neck was due to the genius of a luthier who knew exactly What he was doing building a new, custom, neck. Easy as it would have been, it took me almost 40 years to compare the fret positions/dimensions of the fretboard on Randy’s neck to the original neck and more significantly to the prewar print copies that Jeff Simpson gave me. Not that the measurement differences would have done me any good at that time when I was living in two compartmentalized universes – Music and Hi Fi. The lesson for me all these years later is the futility of audio equipment design with no understanding of the engineering inherent in music theory.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 25, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #3,371 of 14,566
I think most of us know Auto-Tune by Antares Audio Technologies.
Singers like Sade who couldn't sing a perfect note without it use it al the time in studio's and live concerts.
Singers who can hold pitches use it to correct slight off-pitch glitches during recording.
Now how does that relate to the MP?
If you would tune a piano perfectly and assign every key the theoretical Hz's they should have (harmonically true in the most literary sense), the result would be disastrous.
So piano tuners always pitch the snares (keys) from a few reference points to each other. (a relative pitch as you wish)
Could the MP be a device that does about the same thing to the music in order to make it sound more "natural"?
Maybe with a few pre-sets and a manual setting?
That would be indeed a first one following that path in the home hi-fi audio industry.
Not an EQ but something much more profound.

A link for the interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #3,373 of 14,566
Thanks for the story Mike. Hurrahs for the broken Banjo. So you're building a bridge between music and and HiFi.
A truly great idea that would only come to a person who truly appreciates the virtues of accoustic music. And have extensive knowledge of the limitations and the posibilties in the digital realm. I'm guessing thats a rather rare combination among engineers.
It made me think of an odd but successful movie production company here in Denmark called Centropa with a very eccentric CEO. When hiring accounting and bookkeeping staff it's his requirement that they play an instrument. And they have a band which practices during working hours.
Personally i have played music for many years and have enjoyed the benefits/ of recorded music my whole life. But because I never thought it possible to do what you doing. I have never realized that I need it. And just accepted and lived with the difference in sound between live and reproduced music.
I have some basses with alot shorter neck than my double bass which is only a 3/4 size. The different systems of distances between frets I believe are called measures in english (lat./dk: mensure). But I guess thats not what you're talking about.

May 25, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #3,374 of 14,566
Did I mention the Gungnir is screw*** awesome? This thing is literally giving me goosebumps.(< is that a word, we call it chickenskin, well you know what I mean) ..
Keep the impressions coming. They are very inspiring. We call it ants tits. Or goose skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back