What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 23, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3,331 of 14,566
Don't look now, but the island has sunk from overburden. However, Mike has targeted a peninsula which should have more staying capacity. Which is good.

Since nobody commented on my indie selections, I'm finding myself casting around for a roustabout, anyway.:ksc75smile:

Don't take it personally. No one commented on my obscure world music selections either.

May 23, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #3,332 of 14,566
Would just like to thank @Baldr for making a DAC as wonderful as the Gumby and as affordable.

The Gumby is making his recommended The Romeros album sound like chocolate to my ears. No higher praise in my world!

Oh! I forgot a question I wanted to ask.

What about a DAC would make the music sound slower? Besides my imagination, that is...

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,333 of 14,566
Don't take it personally. No one commented on my obscure world music selections either.
agreed. plus what comment should people have made anyway? I mean you guys pick what you would have on a desert island, other people aren't concerned by your choices. we don't even know if we'd be on that same island with you or if you would share. if we'd have a power source, or if we're limited in the number of albums(you would look silly with your little short list if there was no quota and others came with 3 tera of music). I mean that desert island program seems very poorly organized from the get go. not a destination I'd recommend to my friends. next we'd learn they have no hotel and it would ruin my stay.

also if I was stranded on such island, I'd rather have some audiobook about how to survive, or how to build a satellite phone out of a DAP and 2 coconuts to call for help.

May 23, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #3,334 of 14,566
The Professor was good at that kind of project, Gilligan not so much!:L3000:

May 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #3,336 of 14,566
agreed. plus what comment should people have made anyway? I mean you guys pick what you would have on a desert island, other people aren't concerned by your choices. we don't even know if we'd be on that same island with you or if you would share. if we'd have a power source, or if we're limited in the number of albums(you would look silly with your little short list if there was no quota and others came with 3 tera of music). I mean that desert island program seems very poorly organized from the get go. not a destination I'd recommend to my friends. next we'd learn they have no hotel and it would ruin my stay.

also if I was stranded on such island, I'd rather have some audiobook about how to survive, or how to build a satellite phone out of a DAP and 2 coconuts to call for help.

Leave it to the science moderator to overanalyze the scenario. Typical.......and the main reason so few people actually spend any time in his sub-forum.

May 23, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #3,339 of 14,566
Ok, I was trying to maintain a thread where it was censored at a minimum and it worked until recently. One of the advantages of this thread (blogging thread) here at Head-Fi is that is DOES NOT get routinely policed by the powers that be here as do the others. This is appealing to me as I am a creature of freedom. Another advantage (for me) of lurking/posting here is that there are few/no snowflakes and even less sympathy for them.

That makes for an environment where few are genuinely offended and most are thick-skinned. The only way to draw the powers that be here is to say something which is egregiously offensive, and that post will be reported by some hurt party, then the moderators/censors come in, not just to be ashlos, but to silence and appease the complainants.

Common sense would be, for example, not to make posts about dead children. Those who have lost children could well understand, for example, Mahler, who expressed the anger, hollowness, ache, and tradgedy perfectly in his music. Widowers would be likely to be hurt by glib or cruel statements about dead wives. Jokes about coarse Americans, dumb Norweigans, Italian war heroes, etc., etc. are similarly likely to either hurt or piss people off.

Jokes about weird-assed vinyl listeners, deaf solid-state fans, socially inept computer audio geeks, well that's OK. After all, this an audio forum. If you are an audio snowflake, find another thread.

What happened was that someone said something about Americans which started a flame war which spawned reports which caused the censors to drop before I had a chance to intervene and edit the post, something which I would have done. I fought the censorship all the way to the top, and got all posts back but one.

I have something to learn from everyone on this thread. It is not my intent to lock out anyone. It is just that writing "play nice" posts like this makes this thread much less fun for me. Some come on, folks – it is not that difficult.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 23, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #3,340 of 14,566
Leave it to the science moderator to overanalyze the scenario. Typical.......and the main reason so few people actually spend any time in his sub-forum.

We are all entitled to our own imaginative constructs. Oh, and I spend time in his sub-forum because I have something to learn from those I do not always agree with. Over time, it makes for better DACs from me.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 24, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #3,341 of 14,566
We are all entitled to our own imaginative constructs. Oh, and I spend time in his sub-forum because I have something to learn from those I do not always agree with. Over time, it makes for better DACs from me.

I don't make audio products. I buy them, mostly yours these days, and use them to listen to music. While you may find it useful to spend time in that sub-forum, I find it too dogmatic to be useful as too many of the people there are unwilling to doubt their own infallibility. I always recall Benjamin Franklin and his speech to the Constitutional Convention in 1787 when I become a little too infallible. I learn much more perusing many of the other sub-forums questioning what doesn't make sense to me instead on being told how everyone else is wrong in the Sound Science sub-forum.

May 24, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #3,342 of 14,566
the significant part in "sound science moderator", is moderator. I'm not sound, and I'm certainly not science. what I am is a modo, I enforce the TOS(poorly at that). where do I enforce the TOS? in the sound science sub section. that is a location, not a diploma or a philosophy.
"my dad's not a phone" and I'm not a forum section.
I don't know what personal grudge blinds you to the point that you would reply that sanctimonious nonsense to a 110% unrelated bad joke of mine, but clearly you don't do enough analyzing before you post.

May 24, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #3,343 of 14,566
I don't know what personal grudge blinds you to the point that you would reply that sanctimonious nonsense to a 110% unrelated bad joke of mine, but clearly you don't do enough analyzing before you post.

Of course I am wrong because you have to be right as you are infallible. Maybe you should have read what I wrote instead of coming up with a way to tell me how wrong I am. You are active in the Sound Science forum and often exhibit the very dogma I referred to earlier. Own it or not as I am clearly wrong because you are always right.

Back to Schiit stuff....I can't wait for Vidar to come out!!

May 24, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #3,344 of 14,566
Ok, I was trying to maintain a thread where it was censored at a minimum and it worked until recently. One of the advantages of this thread (blogging thread) here at Head-Fi is that is DOES NOT get routinely policed by the powers that be here as do the others. This is appealing to me as I am a creature of freedom. Another advantage (for me) of lurking/posting here is that there are few/no snowflakes and even less sympathy for them.

That makes for an environment where few are genuinely offended and most are thick-skinned. The only way to draw the powers that be here is to say something which is egregiously offensive, and that post will be reported by some hurt party, then the moderators/censors come in, not just to be ashlos, but to silence and appease the complainants.

Common sense would be, for example, not to make posts about dead children. Those who have lost children could well understand, for example, Mahler, who expressed the anger, hollowness, ache, and tradgedy perfectly in his music. Widowers would be likely to be hurt by glib or cruel statements about dead wives. Jokes about coarse Americans, dumb Norweigans, Italian war heroes, etc., etc. are similarly likely to either hurt or piss people off.

Jokes about weird-assed vinyl listeners, deaf solid-state fans, socially inept computer audio geeks, well that's OK. After all, this an audio forum. If you are an audio snowflake, find another thread.

What happened was that someone said something about Americans which started a flame war which spawned reports which caused the censors to drop before I had a chance to intervene and edit the post, something which I would have done. I fought the censorship all the way to the top, and got all posts back but one.

I have something to learn from everyone on this thread. It is not my intent to lock out anyone. It is just that writing "play nice" posts like this makes this thread much less fun for me. Some come on, folks – it is not that difficult.

I like your style. I accept there are boundaries but I can not help crossing them once in a while as I have to make sure if they are still there.
I don`t know what was said, or what happened after that was bad. But it look like some sort of racist remark was made.
Racism is bad mmmkay. But...people are inherently racist(even the ones who claim they have friends that are such and so). Its biology, hardwired if you will. You protect your own group in order to survive and procreate.
There is nothing we can change about that. What we can change is how we react to it. Laugh for instance. Just try it...it`s fun.
In China I`m a really ugly woman(long hair) with a huge nose (Fa Nang)and the skin tone of a dead person. Over here my wife can`t drive.
It will always be like that and some of it is funny as hell. Please people don`t take yourselves to serious, you will end up at war.

May 24, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #3,345 of 14,566
Looking forward to find out how the banjo picking in Nam led to the idea of the manhatten. Will it bring the sound of choppers and the smell of fresh napalm to our living rooms and will be called the Valkyrie. Transporting us to the eternal halls of Valhall with careless fighting and its endless supply of pork and mead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back