Westone ES5
Nov 18, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #617 of 5,554
I'm the first to agree that the airplane noise isolation test is far from scientific; it's anecdotal. However I don't think that the golden stream isolation test is any more scientific and... there just has to be a better way. 
blink.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #618 of 5,554
Quote:
My ES5s are here! Just picked them up from the customs.
Wore them on the 20min drive to work, fit is ok but perhaps needs a little getting used to. Opened the windows for the drive and couldn't hear cars/bikes passing me so I assume it's good for now.

this is illegal where i live as it's quite dangerous to both yourself and others in your vicinity to operate a vehicle and not be able to hear what's going on around you!

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #619 of 5,554

Makes sense except that most new generation cars nowadays usually advertise "Quietness" as one of their selling points ... I remember test driving a Lexus and I couldn't hear anything from outside the car - same difference IMHO. :) 

I probably shouldn't have splashed what I did over the internet though ..... :) Thanks for the reminder ... 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Wore them on the 20min drive to work, fit is ok but perhaps needs a little getting used to. Opened the windows for the drive and couldn't hear cars/bikes passing me so I assume it's good for now.

this is illegal where i live as it's quite dangerous to both yourself and others in your vicinity to operate a vehicle and not be able to hear what's going on around you!

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #620 of 5,554

Quote:
Makes sense except that most new generation cars nowadays usually advertise "Quietness" as one of their selling points ... I remember test driving a Lexus and I couldn't hear anything from outside the car - same difference IMHO. :) 

I probably shouldn't have splashed what I did over the internet though ..... :) Thanks for the reminder ... 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I think you get one free pass as you were so excited to get your ES5
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #621 of 5,554
Just saw a whole thread on driving and wearing earphones ... seems like a hot debate I wouldn't wanna get involved in. Rest assured it's not something I usually do ... 

Anyway, here are some quick photos taken with my iPhone so please forgive the lousy quality ... I got number  S/N:150 btw! :)

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #622 of 5,554

Quote:
Just saw a whole thread on driving and wearing earphones ... seems like a hot debate I wouldn't wanna get involved in. Rest assured it's not something I usually do ... 

Anyway, here are some quick photos taken with my iPhone so please forgive the lousy quality ... I got number  S/N:150 btw! :)

Looks very good.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #623 of 5,554
That looks rather sweet. Now all u need is TWag!

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #624 of 5,554
TWag .. haha .. yeah .. I guess that's next! :)

Now I need to get the fit right ... it seems the right side is tighter than the left. The left is not loose, just that the right side is tighter. Is that normal? Or should I send it back for a re-fit? I don't think I would have minded or noticed if both sides had fit like the looser side, but now that one side is tighter, it makes me notice .... 

Sound wise, it's sounding better and better. At first I wasn't used to it coming from the bass bump of the UM2, but soon realized they sound pretty close to what I hear in my studio - FLAT! (or close)

Gonna spend some time listening through various sources and amps .. :)

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #627 of 5,554
I'm sorry I haven't finished my review yet - I have many notes about my impressions, but haven't been feeling well enough to round up all my DACs and amps to compare for synergy.  I have posted many impressions here, instead of holding out completely this time.

I just have to say that the ES5 are still my FAVORITE IEM of all.  They are freaking awesome sounding, and even make me feel disappointed with many of my full size cans.  I went with the new Port Wine color.  They can look different depending on the lighting, but have a semi-transparent quality to the color.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #628 of 5,554
Am planning to try the demo set of ES5 today and compare it with my JH16. Just trying to justify why I should have 2 sets of custom IEMs.
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #629 of 5,554

Quote:
Am planning to try the demo set of ES5 today and compare it with my JH16. Just trying to justify why I should have 2 sets of custom IEMs.
tongue.gif

haha im wondering the same thing, but ive got the JH-13's right now, dont really know if i can justify the es5's, specially since i know im gonna be getting the JH-3A's, itll just be eating into the budget for those

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #630 of 5,554
O.K., I have been reading this thread but I have one nagging curiosity which I am not sure can be answered; which is the better IEM, the Westone ES5 or JH-16 Pro? Ah, the reason why this question is difficult to answer? Because of the following: Only answer this question if you have both of these IEMs. This narrows the field considerably. ; ) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back