Westone ES5
Nov 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #601 of 5,554
Quote:
Quote:
Westone should post more pics on their facebook page like JH does to give people an idea what the colors actually look like.

X2:  For a company that makes such good products their website lacks a certain degree of professionalism. Their FB page is even worse. Small companies like 1964 have better layout and pics . I think powderhound23 should notify corporate ...

i've heard that they are working feverishly on a website update/redesign.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, may I gently note that there's no need to defend the ES5. No one is attacking the ES5. I, and Davederek and others are just asking to better understand a product we either have not heard or have not heard in final form.
That you noted your personal experience with the ES5 is very nice. Thank you.
 Thanks also to HPA and other owners who comment on their experience.

I think that you are wrong though in comparing my banter with DD with our discussion (and this is not an insult in any way). Dave is occasionally scandalous and that is half the fun. He will of course deny this.
wink.gif

to date i've heard the es5 universal demos at canjam - i think i was amongst the first, if not the first one to do so. i'd very much like to hear the custom version some day.
and i firmly deny ever being scandalous!
tongue.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #602 of 5,554

Quote:
The reason I questioned it is that the Sensa and the JH were reviewed fully which the ES5 is simply compared to the two.

The full ES5 review from this reviewer is coming. It should be neat, even though, like all reviews, we can certainly disagree with whatever its conclusions.

Quote:
Ah, mea culpa in that I had not noted that other professional review. You skipped the first which I referenced (from the Motion Picture Editors Guild which I think you have cited a few times). It would help to avoid such misunderstandings if you pointed to the specific review. Is this review the same bass player who said that the ES5 are the best IEM he has ever reviewed or is there a fourth professional review?

I am certainly not opposed to your comments but I will challenge them if I think it appropriate even, as it turns out, at the risk of making mistakes as to your references (which I did; my bad.)

I think that you are wrong though in comparing my banter with DD with our discussion (and this is not an insult in any way). Dave is occassionally scandalous and that is half the fun. He will of course deny this.
wink.gif

I should have linked to my sources, yes. Sorry. The first was from the Motion Picture Editors Guild, the second from avguide. I had forgotten entirely about the bass player review and I haven't seen a fourth, but more will come, hopefully.

Thanks to the kind people who were willing to correspond with me via pm and answer my concerns, the ES5 are now on my shortlist of possible customs. I'll be buying the first week of December.

If I go with the ES5, I'm thinking of getting a smoke colored one and naming it Paul.
wink_face.gif

Crazy and non-crazy custom owners, feel free to pm me with suggestions. Sumflow, I know you're out there, in a little room surrounded by Westone memorabilia, feel free to pm me about the wonders of westone. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #604 of 5,554
My ES5s are stuck at customs waiting for me to pay tax!!

Tmr's a public holiday here so e earliest I'll get them is Thur!! Argh!

That's another reason to get it from Thinking Group if anyone in Asia is considering ... I made a mistake of getting from Earplugstore and it took a really long time - full 14 business days from when they got my impressions to when they shipped it out to me. Now it's a week since they shipped and I just got my Tax notice. This wouldn't have happened if they used Fedex or DHL - they get u to pay the tax at your door.

Lesson learnt!

Now I'm crossing my fingers I don't need a re-fit ......

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #605 of 5,554

Quote:

That's another reason to get it from Thinking Group if anyone in Asia is considering ... I made a mistake of getting from Earplugstore and it took a really long time - full 14 business days from when they got my impressions to when they shipped it out to me. Now it's a week since they shipped and I just got my Tax notice. This wouldn't have happened if they used Fedex or DHL - they get u to pay the tax at your door.

Lesson learnt!

Thats very interesting... I'm from Malaysia and considering to get it through Earplugstore... do update on your progress i'd appreciate it... and hope you need no refits :) 

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #606 of 5,554

I honestly suggest you go ahead and get it from Thinking Group .... Don't wait!! 
Quote:
Quote:

Lesson learnt!

Thats very interesting... I'm from Malaysia and considering to get it through Earplugstore... do update on your progress i'd appreciate it... and hope you need no refits :) 

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #607 of 5,554
i would love to! haha but i'm waiting for funds... :frowning2: which is like next year sigh.. hopefully they'll be easier and cheaper to order :p

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #608 of 5,554

Quote:

Lesson learnt!

don't feel bad, I got my impression done on the 4rth and I will be lucky to get them this week.  Oh and I'm in the States too.  So it looks more like a 3 week turn around.

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #610 of 5,554
Regarding ES5 soft tip comfort...

I have never used all-acrylic custom IEMs so I have no comparisons to offer but here is my experience. Yesterday I crossed the Pacific on a 14 hour flight. I was plugged into my portable rig and listening to music before we took off. (I continue to be stunned by the iMod+Stepdance+ES5 combination.) I had dinner and a few scotches, enough that after about 3 hours, I fell asleep listening to the B-52s. I woke up to silence and that was the golden part. I was on an airplane and the ES5 was providing a lovely hush. I left them on as earplugs as I dozed in and out of sleep. Finally, at the end of the flight, I watched a movie (using the ES5 with an attenuator). Then for the last hour or so I returned to listening to music. Except for a few washroom breaks, I wore the ES5 during the entire 14 hour flight. Comfort was not an issue. That's pretty good.

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #611 of 5,554
wow 14 full hours!! thats crazy...... how did it fair up with the pressure indifference? or the seal was too perfect that your ears remained at ground level pressure haha!

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #612 of 5,554
Quote:
wow 14 full hours!! thats crazy...... how did it fair up with the pressure indifference? or the seal was too perfect that your ears remained at ground level pressure haha!

I think that it actually helped with the pressure difference at take-off. But it all equalised easily anyway. I was of course taking them out to tell the Stewardess which meal I wanted, and to beg for more Scotch... 
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #613 of 5,554

Quote:
I have never used all-acrylic custom IEMs so I have no comparisons to offer but here is my experience. Yesterday I crossed the Pacific on a 14 hour flight. I was plugged into my portable rig and listening to music before we took off. (I continue to be stunned by the iMod+Stepdance+ES5 combination.) I had dinner and a few scotches, enough that after about 3 hours, I fell asleep listening to the B-52s. I woke up to silence and that was the golden part. I was on an airplane and the ES5 was providing a lovely hush. I left them on as earplugs as I dozed in and out of sleep. Finally, at the end of the flight, I watched a movie (using the ES5 with an attenuator). Then for the last hour or so I returned to listening to music. Except for a few washroom breaks, I wore the ES5 during the entire 14 hour flight. Comfort was not an issue. That's pretty good.

WRT all-acrylic comfort, I wore my JH13s all of my ~17 hour flight from EWR to HKG with no issues. But your remark about isolation is significant -- the 13s smothered the engine noise noticeably, but not as much as I would've liked (for example, I'm fairly certain my Etymotic ER4s with tri-flanges would do a better job).

Have you tried the pee test? Can you hear yourself pee with the ES5s in (in a traditional toilet bowl, aiming for the water, no music playing)? My ER4s passed the test, but the JH13s fall a little short.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #614 of 5,554
PEEING TEST? hahahaha thats the first time i heard of it! i should try it with the e-q7's i have... but isn't it a bit sexist? what about girls, the distance to water is a factor i must say lols

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #615 of 5,554
My ES5s are here! Just picked them up from the customs.

Wore them on the 20min drive to work, fit is ok but perhaps needs a little getting used to. Opened the windows for the drive and couldn't hear cars/bikes passing me so I assume it's good for now. The left seems to not be as fitting as the right though but will have to spend some more time with it to be sure.

Will withhold comment on the sound for now but the first thing that got my attention was the soundstage :)

Pictures will come this evening! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back