Westone ES5
Jun 9, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #46 of 5,554
How would one compare these to the ES3?  I currently use ES3 for my on stage monitoring while singing and playing guitar (and use them ocassionally for mobile listening) and exclusively for traveling.  I didnt think much of the ES3x since (from what I understood) it took away the mid-boost that is present on the ES3.  That really helps me get my voice and guitar a little more present in the mix.

So, anyone who tried the ES5 also try out the ES3?

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #47 of 5,554

Quote:
Like I said, JH3A is in a league of their own, it's in a new category.

How did you get to apples  vs oranges on JH16/13 and ES5??? They are both on the same category and so as any other  custom multi driver IEM.

Apples and oranges are both fruit, steak is not.  JH13 would be a granny smith, JH16 would be a McIntosh?  Didn't think i would have to explain the analogy lol.

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #48 of 5,554

Quote:
IMO, JH13/16=Apples, ES5=Oranges, JH3A=Steak  

Big mistake to compare all 3, JH3A is a different target market. 

Do explain coz the way I see it it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparing_apples_and_oranges
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #49 of 5,554

Quote:
Do explain coz the way I see it it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparing_apples_and_oranges
confused_face(1).gif

Lol, victimized by omniscient Wikipedia and common vernacular.  If one were to apply logic and Venn diagrams:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

One could see that different types of JH's were Apples and different Westones were Oranges yet both are still member of the fruit family.  Labelling the JH3A's as steak moves them into their own unique 'set'  apart from the others which was the point of the analogy in the first place.  Labelling all IEM's as Apples as you would like to by applying standards of common vernacular would render any class differentiation between the JH13/16, ES5 and JH3A invalid and unsound.  Quod erat demonstrandum.  

Now is this really the discussion you want to have regarding the ES5's?  

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #52 of 5,554

Quote:
Lol, victimized by omniscient Wikipedia and common vernacular.  If one were to apply logic and Venn diagrams:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram

One could see that different types of JH's were Apples and different Westones were Oranges yet both are still member of the fruit family.  Labelling the JH3A's as steak moves them into their own unique 'set'  apart from the others which was the point of the analogy in the first place.  Labelling all IEM's as Apples as you would like to by applying standards of common vernacular would render any class differentiation between the JH13/16, ES5 and JH3A invalid and unsound.  Quod erat demonstrandum.  

Now is this really the discussion you want to have regarding the ES5's?  

sigh, a very common idiom used as an analogy... not worth the discussing to this point.

Jun 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #53 of 5,554
Quote:
How would one compare these to the ES3?  I currently use ES3 for my on stage monitoring while singing and playing guitar (and use them ocassionally for mobile listening) and exclusively for traveling.  I didnt think much of the ES3x since (from what I understood) it took away the mid-boost that is present on the ES3.  That really helps me get my voice and guitar a little more present in the mix.

Like the ES3X, the ES5 is a balanced IEM. It does not have the ES3's hump in the mids to assist performers to hear vocals and guitars. 

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #54 of 5,554

Quote:

If you like the mid bump on the ES3, I would stick with those. These will be more neutral in the mids and might require you to bump the EQ in your mix to get the same sound.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #55 of 5,554
Well, if all goes according to plan, on Tuesday I will have my impressions done in Hong Kong, deliver them immediately to the local Westone distributor, and slap down my credit card for the ES5. Hopefully I will get them reasonably quickly after that.

The only question now is smoke or merlot. Decisons, decisions... 
bigsmile_face.gif

(Thoughts on color are welcome.)

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #56 of 5,554
You should be able to do the impressions ahead of time and order process follows upon release date. I just did mine earlier and should be on it's way to Doug. LOL we had the same in mind but I made mine merlot+smoke to swirl into smoke effect with an custom art work to add
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #57 of 5,554
I happen to be in Hong Kong Tuesday so it will all happen at once. Everything is booked.
Smoke-merlot swirl... evil indeed.
evil_smiley.gif

I actually want to keep mine fairly conservative so it will be one or the other. But which?...

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #58 of 5,554
I wanted to swirl merlot+smoke on transparent mold but not possible... :/
Quote:
[size=11pt]As for your requests; the acrylic materials cannot be swirled on the monitors, they do not look good. [/size][size=11pt]This is due to the way we need to pout the materials.[/size]

now what? LOL i need suggestions too... maybe Doug will join in on the discussions...

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #59 of 5,554
If you want to be conservative, smoke would be the choice.  Look forward to your impressions.  That was almost punny.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #60 of 5,554
Anaxilus, I just reached the same conclusion over this last hour. I had always intended to get smoke but started wavering. Smoke it is!
I certainly will share impressions - but not ear impressions because you won't get a good seal. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back