Westone ES5
Jul 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #76 of 5,554
Quote:

The read is interesting for the general idea and useful guidance, but I am also genuinely concerned if the detail ratings are based on actual rendered detail or the perceived detail. For example an emphasis on mids will demonstrate ostensibly superior midrange detail retrieval (i.e. SE530); a spike in the treble could make an IEM seem like detail monsters when actually there is a false exaggeration of the actual information (i.e. ER4); an emphasized low-end can blur the overall perception of resolution (you get the picture here).

I understand the concern but I don't really share it because I don't see anything in the review that points to that. It's just speculation on my part though. Anyway, any one review should be taken with much salt because it is all subjective. It is actually that human frailty, not the numerical analysis, that I look for. I am reading to see what moved the reviewer no matter how even-handed he tried to be. On that score, perceptions are everything.

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #77 of 5,554

Quote:

I understand the concern but I don't really share it because I don't see anything in the review that points to that. It's just speculation on my part though. Anyway, any one review should be taken with much salt because it is all subjective. It is actually that human frailty, not the numerical analysis, that I look for. I am reading to see what moved the reviewer no matter how even-handed he tried to be. On that score, perceptions are everything.

But of course, because if it were the case that the better performance/resolution were perceived by tonal balance the listener would not be cognizant of the fact. But yes, I find the remarks of more value than the number, as always.

Also, cooperpwc, what kind of coin did you spend on the ES5s all-in? I am contemplating whether I should spring for them now while here or wait for more secure funding while I'm in Hong Kong this fall. I'd probably send in my JH13s as the impressions either way.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #78 of 5,554
In Hong Kong, the price through ThinkingGroup was HK$ 7,999 which translated to about US$ 1,030. That includes shipping of the ear impressions to the USA and of the IEMs back to Hong Kong.

I assume that you would do better therefore in the States.

Jul 19, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #79 of 5,554
Something rather silly, perhaps, but I think it's great the ES5 is called simply ES5, which is totally unpretentious. I'd have been a bit disappointed had they chosen to call it ES10, ES11, etc. Glad to see marketing and being (too) cool is not THAT important to Westone. Also, good to see their revamped website does not emulate their competition from UE & JH Audio.

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #80 of 5,554
Yep the retailers are actively advertising them now, same price as cooperpwc. If they're as good as people say, then it could be a steal. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #81 of 5,554
For someone living in the Far East like me, it is very good value because of the included shipping. In theory, the relative value proposition is even greater if one needs to ship them back for refits although I am hoping that I don't have to.

My ES5 have actually arrived in Hong Kong (!) but I am in Wales until the end of the week. So close and yet so far...

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #82 of 5,554
Going to be doing a 3 way w/ the TF10 and DT880?  
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #83 of 5,554

Quote:
In Hong Kong, the price through ThinkingGroup was HK$ 7,999 which translated to about US$ 1,030. That includes shipping of the ear impressions to the USA and of the IEMs back to Hong Kong.

I assume that you would do better therefore in the States.

The retail price in the USA is $900, AFAIK.  Also, there are many audiologists who are Westone dealers, and might do impressions for free if you buy the IEM's through them at the retail price.

I'm planning to get some ES5's in the next few months, depending on finances.  Does anyone have theirs yet?  I'd love to hear a full review.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #84 of 5,554
MSRP In the States is $950. (My ear impressions in HK weren't free but with a referral to the recommended audiologist just HK$200 equals about $25 so no biggie.)

I will certainly make comparisons to the Triple-fis. DT880s also to some degree but that is a bit unfair since the DT880/600s just sing with the Earmax Pro and that amp won't drive IEMs. The Headsix by contrast isn't ideal for 600 ohms. Eventually when Jan Meier ships the Stepdance, I will be able to make a fairer comparison.

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #85 of 5,554
They are in the house. I got serial # ES50011. (I wonder who got the first 10?)

I ordered these with a deep canal design and it looks like I might have a perfect fit first time out. Thank you, oh wise and benevolent god of IEMs... 
normal_smile .gif

It is way too early to post full impressions but after 10 hours I can say that they are insanely smooth. Highlights include the lovely, almost lush, mids, the coherence in the soundstage, and the transparency.  I have been having some out of head experiences where the ES5 simply disappear. All of this just from the iPhone 3GS headphone out. So far I am very happy. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #87 of 5,554
I'm also on the list for ES5's !!! 3 weeks or so... Any idea how the stock cables compare to the ALO SXC's ? Thinking of getting those.

@cooper isn't 64" too long?  What are the advantages of 64" vs stock 50"?

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #88 of 5,554
Letloverule, I am really liking the 64" cable on my ES5. I do have a 50" Westone cable on my Triple-fi's and it's fine. Shorter is convenient for walking around but the extra length is nice if you are kicking back with your DAP resting on a table. That's mostly how I listen.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #90 of 5,554
Photos will come soon, i promise.
ksc75smile.gif
    I am going to need really good light to have any hope of showing off the drivers properly through the smoke shells. They look most excellent though. Build quality is top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back