Westone ES5
Jun 8, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #31 of 5,554

Quote:
EphemeralHope said:

Did anyone listen to the JH 3As on this thread? Seems like a lot of you attended can jam so some direct comparisons would be most enlightening...

Unfortunately I did not. I have been on sort of a Head-Fi hiatus as of late and I wasn't aware of many of the new headphones being developed/announced. Also, my time spent at CanJam was kind of rushed so I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked learning about and trying other headphones. After hearing all these great things about the JH3A I really wish I gave those a listen!

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #32 of 5,554
Quote:
Did anyone listen to the JH 3As on this thread? Seems like a lot of you attended can jam so some direct comparisons would be most enlightening...

Yes, I did.  Here is the link to a post where I compared the JH13 and ES5.  In my experience the JH3A retained the JH Audio sound.  Once the bass was equalized between the JH3A and JH13, the primary difference is the JH3A had some more energy at the top end of the spectrum so there was a little more air and clarity.

Sorry I can't give a more detailed review - meet conditions prohibited a proper listening session.

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #33 of 5,554
I feel bad here because i really like odigg, hes a cool guy and all 
tongue.gif
 but i have to respectfully disagree, though we do obviously prefer different sound sigs. And our listening time was backwards as well, he listened to the es5's 4 times and the 3a only once, while i listened to the es5's once and the 3a's 4 or 5 times.

I feel that westone truly did catch up with JH in the technical aspects of clarity and such with their newest offering. it really is a very nice headphone. From a audio quality i would say that it matches the jh-13. The difference would be in the bass mainly, which is where the 13 has more heft, though if anyone finds the 13's too bassy, i wouldnt hesitate to order the es5.

where we disagree though is on the issue of the 3a. I feel that the 3a outclasses the es5 and the 13 by quite a margin, not in the area of frequency response, though i do like the highs better than the 13's. its a matter of presentation. With the 3a's you get such an increase in soundstage and ability to image, no other headphone ive heard can compare at all. The layering you get with the 3a really is astounding, and the 5's and the 13's cant even come close in this regard. not to derail this thread any further ill jsut link to what i wrote about the 3a, though its quite lengthy.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495320/jh-audio-jh-3a/210#post_6695040

but if you're only comparing IEMs that utilize passive crossovers, then the es5 is a welcome addition, and i would have gladly won one of the two that doug entered into the raffle 
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #34 of 5,554
@SoupRKnowva: Read your impressions on the 3As and they are almost about as spot on as how I heard it (listening to a few tracks on Decades album by Collective Soul and Natalie Merchant's Retrospective album) except I was looking for a little more life like liveliness on mid/vocal... for that part, I'll keep it as that as it is totally in a different league.

I really was on a mission to get myself a JH13 even before the CanJam but sure enough was glad I waited for the meet. If let alone that the ES5 wasn't there for a demo, I would have concluded transactions with JH Audio. To me,  with my distinct taste for music (life like details and realism... maybe asking too much but that's how it is) the ES5  topped the JH16/13. ES5 is a whole new different breed amongst Westone's offering with a rather huge soundstage than Westone IEM norm.  I'm glad I brought my Protector and TWag cable with me at the meet :)

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #35 of 5,554
It seems that many who have heard the JH-3A have described the imaging and "layering" of music as a new and unreachable level until active crossover was realized.... I just wonder that even if the JH13/16s are surpassed by the ES5(or just preferred) if the ES5s or any company in general would ever be able to catch up to the crossover difference - it seems a matter of impossibility because of the "perfect" phase and timing that active offers...

Not that I have heard either or want to overplay the significance of the JH3A ... but it does seem that even if the ES5 bests the JH13 in any way, if JH audio releases a "new" IEM then it will have a much higher potential peak than any other customs company ever will.... at least for now.

Not that I'm planning to get JH3As though - going to grab a pair of customs for now to use with my slim hehe, the 3A is just too big for my needs :frowning2:... Sorry if this is too off topic but it seems the two new giants(ES5 and JH3A) are going to be pitted against each other sooner or later so might as well get as much info on this as possible! :)

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #36 of 5,554

Quote:
It seems that many who have heard the JH-3A have described the imaging and "layering" of music as a new and unreachable level until active crossover was realized.... I just wonder that even if the JH13/16s are surpassed by the ES5(or just preferred) if the ES5s or any company in general would ever be able to catch up to the crossover difference - it seems a matter of impossibility because of the "perfect" phase and timing that active offers...

Not that I have heard either or want to overplay the significance of the JH3A ... but it does seem that even if the ES5 bests the JH13 in any way, if JH audio releases a "new" IEM then it will have a much higher potential peak than any other customs company ever will.... at least for now.

Not that I'm planning to get JH3As though - going to grab a pair of customs for now to use with my slim hehe, the 3A is just too big for my needs :frowning2:... Sorry if this is too off topic but it seems the two new giants(ES5 and JH3A) are going to be pitted against each other sooner or later so might as well get as much info on this as possible! :)

IMO, JH13/16=Apples, ES5=Oranges, JH3A=Steak  

Big mistake to compare all 3, JH3A is a different target market. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #37 of 5,554
How about having a ES5AS that has an Amp and active XO like the JH3A an a built in source like a HiFiMan 801?  This will be a super all-in-one solution and portable as well.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #39 of 5,554
I don't mind this being a fantasy thread if the fantasy may come true.  I was wondering then why JH got such an innovative solution and then I realized that it's because in the old days, IEM producers produce only IEMs and amp producers only produce amps and now JH has cross the lines.  

I see no harm in expressing ideas to the Westone people.  It's up to them to decide if that can be a go or not.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #40 of 5,554
Anything is possible and no harm in dreaming. But westone are huge compared to JH Audio, with their hearing, pofessional musician and consumer retail markets. i doubt that such niche will be their focus. Time will tell.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #41 of 5,554
Thank you for the reply, Cooperpwc.  I see your point and agree that it is unlikely that Westone will focus on this.  

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #42 of 5,554

Quote:
IMO, JH13/16=Apples, ES5=Oranges, JH3A=Steak  

Big mistake to compare all 3, JH3A is a different target market. 

Like I said, JH3A is in a league of their own, it's in a new category.

How did you get to apples  vs oranges on JH16/13 and ES5??? They are both on the same category and so as any other  custom multi driver IEM.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #43 of 5,554
I think he means people choosing ES3X and JH13 according to personal taste but JH3A is clearly a different thing.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #44 of 5,554
Introducing the JH4-A January Jones Edition.  Limited to a production run of one unit, enjoy unparalleled sound on the go with a your very own personal valet to keep your custom IEMs safe from harm.

On a serious note, The ES5s were light and airy without being overly bright.  There is bass response down to at least 20hz but it's a tad rolled off and lacked impact.  If that's the kind of sound you like then these are probably the IEMs for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back