Westone ES5
Nov 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #559 of 5,554
Just picked up my Es5 from the audiologist today. The fit is something getting used to .. Not sure if i have the right fit or not it seems to seal well and nothing moves when i jiggle the IEMs. Bit uncomfortable so far but i guess it is getting used to.First impressions is that it is not that big a jump from UM3X but i may be wrong and need more AB testing. I am wondering if UM3 with UM56 may be same as ES5? But this is just 15mins of listening ... More to come

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #561 of 5,554
I was initially pleased with the sound of my new ES5s, but after listening for a few days, something didn't seem quite right, so I ran a frequency sweep through both earpieces.

To my surprise I discovered a significant dip in the left earpiece centred at around 2.3 khz (the right is fine) and another lesser dip in the right at 4.3 khz (the left is fine). At first I thought it must be my ears or the signal generator, but after switching to other phones, it is clearly a dip is in the earpieces themselves.

I have a call and email into Westone to see what they have to say about this rather disappointing discovery.

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #562 of 5,554
 I got my impressions done on Nov. 4rth.  I have not recieved mine yet or had any indication Westone was shipping them to me.  So, I called the audiologist to check the status and they said Westone still has not recieved the impressions.  My audiologist admitted to not sending them out right away, but I would think they would have got them by now.  Kind of frustrating, I mean you pay that much for something the expectation is the service would be better.   I'm in the states so I don't see why I should not have around the same turnaround time as the others. 

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #563 of 5,554
I think the fault is with your Audiologist and how he shipped the impressions.  My Audiologist shipped my impressions Thursday Westone got them Monday and shipped the ES5 to me on Friday.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #564 of 5,554

Quote:
I was initially pleased with the sound of my new ES5s, but after listening for a few days, something didn't seem quite right, so I ran a frequency sweep through both earpieces.

To my surprise I discovered a significant dip in the left earpiece centred at around 2.3 khz (the right is fine) and another lesser dip in the right at 4.3 khz (the left is fine). At first I thought it must be my ears or the signal generator, but after switching to other phones, it is clearly a dip is in the earpieces themselves.

I have a call and email into Westone to see what they have to say about this rather disappointing discovery.

Definitely want to keep an eye on this.  Keep us posted.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #565 of 5,554

Quote:
 I got my impressions done on Nov. 4rth.  I have not recieved mine yet or had any indication Westone was shipping them to me.  So, I called the audiologist to check the status and they said Westone still has not recieved the impressions.  My audiologist admitted to not sending them out right away, but I would think they would have got them by now.  Kind of frustrating, I mean you pay that much for something the expectation is the service would be better.   I'm in the states so I don't see why I should not have around the same turnaround time as the others. 

They must have done the same thing which happened to me . Since you are in Midwest they must have shipped to the Michigan office which doesn't do ES5. Once they get they will send it overnight to the colorado office. I lost 2 days that way. Call the audiologist and see where they shipped . If they shipped to MI office call them and ask them the status. I also call the westone customer service which BTW is excellent and talked to Kyle Harris and asked him to keep an eye on them . After that all went well.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #566 of 5,554

Quote:

How do you run a frequency sweep on ear pieces .. Interested in trying that out

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #567 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:

There are a number of free frequency generators available. You can try this one. Plug your phones into your PC and move the frequency sliders; if you find a range of frequencies that sound much quieter or louder - other than the extremities, of course - investigate further by trying one channel at a time.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #568 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There are a number of free frequency generators available. You can try this one. Plug your phones into your PC and move the frequency sliders; if you find a range of frequencies that sound much quieter or louder - other than the extremities, of course - investigate further by trying one channel at a time.

Thank you will give it a try

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #569 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:

They must have done the same thing which happened to me . Since you are in Midwest they must have shipped to the Michigan office which doesn't do ES5. Once they get they will send it overnight to the colorado office. I lost 2 days that way. Call the audiologist and see where they shipped . If they shipped to MI office call them and ask them the status. I also call the westone customer service which BTW is excellent and talked to Kyle Harris and asked him to keep an eye on them . After that all went well.

Thanks for the heads up on how the product flow may work and the tip to call Westone.

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #570 of 5,554
@animalsrush. It sounds like you may have a fit problem. Been there. If so, get new impressions.

(First be sure that you are inserting them properly into the helix of each ear.)

@Mr.Toad. Those do sound like they may be defective, or at least need an adjustment.

The clear looks great BTW...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back