Westone ES5
Jun 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #2,476 of 5,554
Well... I really have only compared the Pico Slim to the Stepdance with the Solo. (My days of amping iPod line outs are over.) I find them both to be quite neutral. If anything, the Stepdance might have a tiny bit more bass slam but the Pico Slim's bass is well controlled and goes very deep. So I tend to think that the Pico Slim is neutral except for a tiny bit of extra treble energy.

The bass does go deep though so maybe that is what is being referred to.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2,477 of 5,554
Hey guys, wanted to ask a little question.. 

My current setup is;
iPod Classic -> Algorhythm Solo -> AL RX Mk2 -> Westone Um3x (ES5s Soon)

In what order should I turn these devices on? And in what order should I turn them off?

Thanks, 

Arrigo

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2,478 of 5,554

My current setup is;

In what order should I turn these devices on? And in what order should I turn them off?

Thanks, 

Arrigo

Check out the FAQ at http://cypherlabs.com/FAQ.php , "How do I dock and undock my iPod with the AlgoRhythm Solo?"

I don't think it matters how you turn off though.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #2,479 of 5,554
What do you guys think of this combo.

My sister gave me her old ipod 5.5 last year.  Finally got around to ordering parts to DIYMod it.  Blackgate Caps :D.  I'll work on that if all the parts come in soon.

So  DIYMod iPod 5.5> Ibasso db2 (Balanced) (changing the op-amps) > ES5

I havent ordered the Ibasso and the balanced silver dragon yet.  Do you guys have any ideas on how to better spend my money?
Before I decided to do the imod. I was just thinking of using iphone4 to ibasso db2.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2,480 of 5,554
Yeah I read that but I'm not sure about it since I've added a amp into the mix :/
Quote:
Quote:

My current setup is;

Thanks, 

Arrigo

Check out the FAQ at http://cypherlabs.com/FAQ.php , "How do I dock and undock my iPod with the AlgoRhythm Solo?"

I don't think it matters how you turn off though.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2,482 of 5,554

To be honest, I think the best way to go if you want to buy an Apple product is the iPod Classic . It is sturdy, reliable, a lot of memory in case you want to store for example WAV files. I got one myself as well and it works just fine, no touch screen which is useless.
Quote:
What about an iTouch?
iPhone4 is too expensive for me (ES5 will eat up all my funds :D)

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2,484 of 5,554
^I find it 'too bright' for my test (using DBA-02) --- I can borrow an iTouch and check if it's more balance for me. If not, I'll just stick with my Nokia N82 and Archos A70 :)

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #2,485 of 5,554
I couldn't help myself and ordered a Pico Slim earlier this week. #0494 arrived today and my ES5's are back at Westone for a refit. If I opened my mouth, even half way, i could break the seal. It was evident when mowing the lawn. For some reason, the noise generated by the John Deere was the easiest noise to hear the change when the seal broke. My Audiologist made two more molds. One mold with my mouth open and one with my mouth closed. She instructed Westone to create the new mold using the largest part of both sets of her molds so that hopefully the seal can't be broken no matter what facial expressions I make.

So, while I wait for the ES5's, I am stuck with my bass-heavy V-Moda Vibe Duo (or something like that). But I can say that the Pico Slim paired with my iPod Nano sounds great.....even with 320k MP3's. The difference between unamped and amped from said source is definitely noticable. Everything is tighter, crisper, clearer and extends further at both ends. I can't say the volume is actually louder, but maxed out the music is clearer through the Slim. I don't know if it's worth $400, but the form factor is quite nice paired with the nano.

I am having a problem with the Slim and iPhone 4. When I connect the Pico Slim to the iPhone 4 and use FLAC player, the Pico Slim acts weird. If I turn up or down the volume quickly, I hear the left ear adjust a split second sooner than the right ear. Now, that's with the volume going up and down, the change happens in the left ear first. I also hear static when rotating the knob.

Now, the Nano-->SOLO-->Pico Slim-->headphones sounds really fantastic. (hopefully even better with the ES5) I just wish I could carry it in a stack like that. But it's summer and there is no way that's getting shoved into a pocket. For now, the work rig will be the SOLO/RX MarkII/ES5 and the rig in my pocket will be the Nano/Slim/ES5.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #2,486 of 5,554
Hey guys, 

I made like 40 mock ups and these are my top picks that pair together.  Which one do you guys like or opinions?  I having a hard time picking.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #2,490 of 5,554

Quote:
Woah! is Westone gonna be able to do this accurately (better than the JHA)? These are pretty nice artworks!

I'm not sure, but I sent them the mockup I made and the pictures.  I asked them if they will be able to do these.  

I read this on their site. "Westone Image Lock process with resolution up to 1440dpi."  If it is really that high of dpi then it can be really detailed.

“The Image Lock process not only gives us extreme resolution but also protects the artwork with a scratch resistant surface that will stand up to years of professional use.”

http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/sites/default/files/Custom%20Shop%20Press%20Release.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back