Westone ES5
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2,446 of 5,554
Dear,

The last couple of weeks I have been thinking to buy a good amp for my iPod 160Gb and Westone ES5, I already posted something about this a week ago. However, I have difficulties judging whether it is worth the money and whether there is a significant improvement to the overall sound quality and what the improvements are.

If I need to concentrate myself to hear any difference than it it is not worth the money for me, however If there's a major inprovement in for example the bass response and the soundstage than it is a different story. I was wondering whether someone could express in a percentage (I know this is difficult) the sound quality improvement when I add an amp to my iPod and Westone ES5 with a good LOD?

Or would you recommend to buy a Hifiman mp3 player instead of an amp for my iPod?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #2,447 of 5,554
@Mopshond, try Cypher Labs Algorythym Solo with PicoSlim as suggested by @copper, it will up your SQ by a mile with your Ipod.
atsmile.gif

But seriously for me it's a very good investment, when I get my ES5 this month, I can't even wait to try it with this setup.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #2,448 of 5,554

Quote:
@Mopshond, try Cypher Labs Algorythym Solo with PicoSlim as suggested by @copper, it will up your SQ by a mile with your Ipod.
atsmile.gif

But seriously for me it's a very good investment, when I get my ES5 this month, I can't even wait to try it with this setup.

There goes your $1k
o2smile.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #2,451 of 5,554
Sorry to clarify, It's a combination of Amp and DAC: Algorythym Solo is DAC and Pico Slim is the amp. Just suggesting if this would help your search to get the best from your current setup.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2,452 of 5,554
Mopshond,

The Cypherlabs Algorhythm Solo is a DAC whilst the Pico Slim is a headphone amplifier.
The rig should be iPod -> Solo -> Pico Slim amplifier -> ES5s.

Personally I've never used a Pico Slim, but I've used the Ray Samuel's Predator as well as the ALO RX Mk2 with the Solo.
Both increase the sound quality tremendously, even tho I've only used Westone Um3x and Alessandra MS Pro headphones with them.

My recommendation is that you first purchase a portable headphone amp and see how satisfied you are with its sound quality, if you are satisfied then I would keep it at that, only once that you want another improvement do I recommend buying a Algorhythm Solo.

Quote:
To be clear, you are suggesting me to buy two amps?

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #2,454 of 5,554

Quote:
Sorry, but this must sound stupid. However, what is the difference between a DAC and an amp?

An amplifier 'amplifies' the analog signal going to your phones.  The ideal is 'wire with gain' providing pure source but more gain.  However, opamps enter the fray among other things and can add coloration which maybe good or bad depending on your preference.  So if your phones sound weak or are not maximizing their potential an amp is there to increase power or current depending on the needs of your phones.  It maybe that your phones are getting all they need and the amp gets in the way, depends.

A DAC is a digital to analogue converter that 'converts' those '1's and '0's from iTunes, CDs or whatever files you have to an analogue signal that you can hear.  Since the human brain doesn't speak binary, unless your name is Neo, you need the signals converted to analog to make sense of them as music to your ears.  The DAC quality determines the quality of how this process occurs and it's faithfulness to the original file or code and may or may not impart coloration depending and may or may not be to your liking also.

Edit - So CD/iPod/PC/Mac/whatever digital transport you have-->DAC-->Amp-->phones

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #2,456 of 5,554
Hi guys, need some help from you guys from US.

Recently found a case that I really like to use with my iPod 5G.

http://vibevault.com/xcart/home.php?cat=307

However, VibeVault does not ship to Singapore.

Wonder if any kind souls in US are able to help me purchase one and ship it to me in Singapore.
I'll pay you back the sum.
Anyone who wishes to help, pls PM me. Thanks!

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #2,457 of 5,554
Mopshond, I am in the "iPod + amp does not make a big difference with the ES5" camp. A good amp is neutral and transparent - what Anaxilus refers to as 'wire with gain'. Since the line out of the iPod Classic is not all that different than the headphone out, the improvements are greatly limited to impedance matching, cleaner power etc. I rate the improvement as in the 3%-5% range, i.e. barely noticeable. Definitely IMHO YMMV. Others will disgaree.

When you improve the source, a good amp is then required to transparently deliver that improved source to the ES5. That is when a good portable amp makes real sense (and indeed is required). Solo + Pico Slim is a big committment. It is worth it MIHO (although the stack is large) but not a decision to be taken lightly. I don't know how to rate the improvement over the Classic headphone out...  80%?...   150%?  It is tangible and material.

For a small package with a huge improvement over the Classic headphone out, probably nothing will compare to the iMod + Pico Slim. (Actually i never heard this combination as my iMod died before I got the Pico Slim. But based on my experience with the iMod + Stepdance and the Solo + Pico Slim, I am confident that iMod + Pico Slm would be great.) The math becomes absurdly subjective at this point but since you asked the question... If the Solo + good amp improves over the Classic HP out by 80-150%, perhaps the iMod + good amp improves by 40%-75%.

Even I question my methodology as random and reckless.  :) 

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #2,458 of 5,554
For me I couldn't bear with the Solo -> Stepdance -> ES5 combo. Not that it doesn't sound good, it is just too bulky. The Solo -> Stepdance setup now sits at my office, mainly for my T5p. I know it may be a waste of the ES5 but for true portable use I just do iPhone 4 -> ES5.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #2,459 of 5,554
Quote:
...for true portable use I just do iPhone 4 -> ES5.

Smart... and not a waste of the ES5. iPhone 3GS has a good headphone out. 4 is meant to be as good... or better.

Edit: In addition, Solo+Stepdance really is too big IMHO (and I have high tolerance for bulk). After I bought the Solo, I realised that I had to get the Pico Slim. This worked out well but it was an expensive process to get where I am...

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #2,460 of 5,554
I am loving my ES5s straight out of my iPhone 4 that I'm not sure I can be bothered with getting anything else. The internal DAC seems to do a great job and the noise floor is very low. If I get an amp to pair with it I'll get something with a nice set of features, such as the Practical Devices XM6 (can serve as USB DAC) or Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G, both amps featuring bass and treble boosts and crossfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back