Westone ES5
Jun 2, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #2,462 of 5,554
Hey Mopshond, since you live in the Netherlands or Belgium, why don't you just drive to Nuenen (near Eindhoven) and give the iQube a listen? Better than keep asking people what do they think. Its your ear, so learn to trust it.

You can also try other amps and probably DAC as well. I know Hans has couple of RSA amps for sale before.

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #2,463 of 5,554
So, umm, quick question to the Pico Slim users out there.  Do you guys feel the bass response is actually neutral?  Because, umm...OMG.  That's quite a decent amount of low end presence I'm getting atm.  
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #2,465 of 5,554
Delightful news for me today :)
ThinkingGroup contacted me and my ES5s have been sent off from the States and are enroute to Hong Kong! :)
Shouldn't be more than a week now! :D

Anyways, I was wondering about cables :p
This may be a bit off topic for the ES5 thread but I really want to know what cable I should use with my ES5s :)

Currently I have the Silver Dragon cable from moon audio, but reading this thread I've seen a lot of people talk about the Twag cable...
Just how good is this Twag cable? My friends recommend ALO Cables to me but I'm not quite sure about what to get.
Since I can't try the Twag cable from any shops in Hong Kong I really want some impressions and ideas about what they sound like :)

My current set up is iPod Classic 6th Generation 80GB -> CypherLabs Algorhythm Solo -> ALO RX Mk2 -> Earphones.
My interconnects are from the ALO Algorhyhtm Solo interconnect package, and I buy all my CDs so all the songs are in WAV format.

Thanks!

Arrigo

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #2,466 of 5,554
Hey Arrigo, you shouldn't worry too much with the cable. TWag is a great cable but I'm sure moon audio cable is also nice. Its a cable dude..
Try it first with the cable you have and if you have too much money after spending 1000$ for ES5, you can spend it for TWag V2 or something. Or even the crazy piccolino 1000$+ cable.

Quote:
Delightful news for me today :)
ThinkingGroup contacted me and my ES5s have been sent off from the States and are enroute to Hong Kong! :)
Shouldn't be more than a week now! :D

Anyways, I was wondering about cables :p
This may be a bit off topic for the ES5 thread but I really want to know what cable I should use with my ES5s :)

Currently I have the Silver Dragon cable from moon audio, but reading this thread I've seen a lot of people talk about the Twag cable...
Just how good is this Twag cable? My friends recommend ALO Cables to me but I'm not quite sure about what to get.
Since I can't try the Twag cable from any shops in Hong Kong I really want some impressions and ideas about what they sound like :)

My current set up is iPod Classic 6th Generation 80GB -> CypherLabs Algorhythm Solo -> ALO RX Mk2 -> Earphones.
My interconnects are from the ALO Algorhyhtm Solo interconnect package, and I buy all my CDs so all the songs are in WAV format.

Thanks!

Arrigo

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #2,467 of 5,554

Could you clarify yourself in the sense, could describe what the difference is in the bass without the amp? As far as I know, you are not using an iPod, right?
Quote:
So, umm, quick question to the Pico Slim users out there.  Do you guys feel the bass response is actually neutral?  Because, umm...OMG.  That's quite a decent amount of low end presence I'm getting atm.  
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #2,468 of 5,554

The problem with solo + stepdance is when you are listening to music and suddenly you have got a phone call on your iphone... Or when you just want to surf the web or use some apps while listening to music...

Quote:
Smart... and not a waste of the ES5. iPhone 3GS has a good headphone out. 4 is meant to be as good... or better.

Edit: In addition, Solo+Stepdance really is too big IMHO (and I have high tolerance for bulk). After I bought the Solo, I realised that I had to get the Pico Slim. This worked out well but it was an expensive process to get where I am...

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #2,469 of 5,554
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

Hey I find Pico Slim to accurately and capably reproduce the lows very well. If you listen to drums, they are sounding the way they should sound. In places where they should be no bass, there isn't.

Hope that answer some of your question =)

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #2,470 of 5,554
An amp can't add bass where there is none in the signal, unless you're talking about a hum or some other interference. Reproduction is done by the speakers. What Anaxilus is talking about has to do with the frequency response of the Pico Slim being skewed to emphasize (over-amplify) the low end of the spectrum.

Since you own one, does your Pico Slim bump the lows over other amps?

Quote:
Hey I find Pico Slim to accurately and capably reproduce the lows very well. If you listen to drums, they are sounding the way they should sound. In places where they should be no bass, there isn't.

Hope that answer some of your question =)

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #2,471 of 5,554

Quote:
An amp can't add bass where there is none in the signal, unless you're talking about a hum or some other interference. Reproduction is done by the speakers. What Anaxilus is talking about has to do with the frequency response of the Pico Slim being skewed to emphasize (over-amplify) the low end of the spectrum.

Since you own one, does your Pico Slim bump the lows over other amps?

I have answered what Anaxilus is exactly asking: Does Pico Slim over-emphasize the bass?

My reply to him is no - with the premise that he is using it with his ES5, the bass are reproduced accurately, capably and faithfully.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #2,472 of 5,554
Quote:
The problem with solo + stepdance is when you are listening to music and suddenly you have got a phone call on your iphone... Or when you just want to surf the web or use some apps while listening to music...

Yep. I use my Solo with a dedicated iPod Classic, not my iPhone.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #2,473 of 5,554
Thanks for clarifying. I still wonder whether it, in your experience, bumps bass over that of other amps or the ES5 unamplified.

I have answered what Anaxilus is exactly asking: Does Pico Slim over-emphasize the bass?

My reply to him is no - with the premise that he is using it with his ES5, the bass are reproduced accurately, capably and faithfully.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #2,474 of 5,554
Quote:
@Cooperpwc
You ordered a TWcu for your ES5? Do post impressions once you hear it. I'm wondering if I should get some bulk cable from Craig and ask my friend to DIY an IEM cable for me. I'm currently using the TWcu with my Senn HD600 and it sounds wonderful. Not sure about the synergy with ES5 though.

I don't know if it will make a difference but I am looking forward to finding out. The cable is still pending and I go travelling soon so I may not get to test it for a while.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #2,475 of 5,554
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I still wonder whether it, in your experience, bumps bass over that of other amps or the ES5 unamplified.

I have just taken a listen of a kick + sub kick on ES5 (unamped) and through Pico Slim. Both are heard through my whipmod.

The sub kick has got better detail and texture. But in terms of the level of bass I am hearing, I don't feel that they are different.

The Twspc did gave a fuller lows over Twag though.

Maybe cooperpwc can chip in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back