Westone ES5
May 31, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #2,416 of 5,554
The UE 18 Pro's stock cable has more bass than both my ALO SXC and Twagv2 cables, that's true. Less pronounced when used on the ES5, but quite a bit of difference when I switch back to the stock cable on my UE 18 Pro.

May 31, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2,417 of 5,554
Is the "Rush Order" a Westone exclusive deal?
If I were to buy UE 18s or any new customs they might have through Thinkinggroup can I rush order UE Customs?

Also have you gotten any remoulds of your ES5s due to fitting issues through Thinking Group? If so can you please tell me around how long it takes?

Thanks,
Arrigo

Quote:
If you order through Thinking Group, you can add HK$1K for "rush order" and you should be able to get your ES5 within one week like I did.
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2,419 of 5,554

Quote:
I had two refittings through ThinkingGroup. The turnaround was 3-4 weeks each time. Mind you, that was very early on. The ES5 has gotten a whole lot more popular.

Thanks for the swift reply.

Do you have any idea whether or not the +1000HKD for rush order will be available for refitting? I understand that Thinking Group has a free refitting policy. But at the current state that I can predict is that my ES5s will arrive in this week or so. But in the unfortunate scenario where I do need a refitting I don't really want to wait for another 3-4 weeks for it to come back since it would be cutting into summer and I won't be able to pick them up.

Also Cooperpwc from what I understand your refitting's were mainly caused due to the bad ear impressions you did for the first time, and after your 2nd set of impressions were given in it was fine right? 
Looking at the pictures of your impressions, I'd have to say Widex Center in Hong Kong did pretty much and equally good job so hopefully I wont have the need for refitting.

PS - Can someone explain to me about Biteblocks used in the ear impressions process?
For Widex in HK they didn't provide me with a proper bite block and instead placed the wooden stick thing a doctor uses to look at your throat and made me bite on it. It was roughly the height of 2 fingers or so. Is that accurate? Or will I have the need to get new impressions for a refit? 

Thanks,
Arrigo

May 31, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #2,420 of 5,554
Quote:
Thanks for the swift reply.

Do you have any idea whether or not the +1000HKD for rush order will be available for refitting? Unfortunately I have no idea about this.  I understand that Thinking Group has a free refitting policy. But at the current state that I can predict is that my ES5s will arrive in this week or so. But in the unfortunate scenario where I do need a refitting I don't really want to wait for another 3-4 weeks for it to come back since it would be cutting into summer and I won't be able to pick them up.

Also Cooperpwc from what I understand your refitting's were mainly caused due to the bad ear impressions you did for the first time, and after your 2nd set of impressions were given in it was fine right? This is exactly right. The problem was the first impressions.
Looking at the pictures of your impressions, I'd have to say Widex Center in Hong Kong did pretty much and equally good job so hopefully I wont have the need for refitting.

PS - Can someone explain to me about Biteblocks used in the ear impressions process?
For Widex in HK they didn't provide me with a proper bite block and instead placed the wooden stick thing a doctor uses to look at your throat and made me bite on it. It was roughly the height of 2 fingers or so. Is that accurate? Or will I have the need to get new impressions for a refit? A bite block is just a piece of foam. I had to use a makeshift alternative both times as the audiologists didn't have them. Two fingers may be fine. Wait and see. I hope that you get them soon.

Thanks,
Arrigo

May 31, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2,421 of 5,554
I'm having yet another problem after my second refit and I was wondering if anyone can help me or has this happen to them before.

I am not getting the depth and clarity like I did before from my right ear piece.  I don't get that open sound like I do from my left.  It seems like that my right ear is being stuffed up with cotton balls and I am trying to listen through it.  I don't get that detail sound in my right ear.  It seems like my right ear is being closed off when I try to listen to music.  

My first ear impressions sounded better than the second.

I get no depth and open sound from my right ear piece.  

If I crank up the volume, they sounds better, but I also don't want to blow out my eardrums and go deaf.

My ears are cleaned.  My ear piece are cleaned and there is no buildup.  The right monitor feels tight in my ear.

I don't know if this may help, but the two bones (tubes) in my right ear piece is much closely together than the left.

If I turn up the volume, the right side gets better, but my ears hurts after and I won't listen to my music that loud.  When I am listening to audio books, I have no issue.  They sound fine.

Maybe one of the drivers aren't firing in my right ear?  

I just don't get that clarity and punch in the right side, unless I turn it up.

What do you guys think?

I contacted my Audiologist to see if I need another refit.

This is so irritating.  

May 31, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,422 of 5,554
Let it break in another week or two.  Sounds like a good documented case for ES5 break in.  Old left piece, new right piece.  

Take out your old one and do a sweep of the new one.  If you hear all the freqs after the sweep it's fine.  Just give it a few weeks to open up.  If it still doesnt then you might need to have them sent back to fix a channel imbalance.  If you read through the thread you would see I had a similar problem out of the box with a new set.  Muffled right side w/ SS shifted to the left.

May 31, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #2,423 of 5,554
Quote:
Let it break in another week or two.  Sounds like a good documented case for ES5 break in.  Old left piece, new right piece.  

Take out your old one and do a sweep of the new one.  If you hear all the freqs after the sweep it's fine.  Just give it a few weeks to open up.  If it still doesnt then you might need to have them sent back to fix a channel imbalance.  If you read through the thread you would see I had a similar problem out of the box with a new set.  Muffled right side w/ SS shifted to the left.

I've had the exact same thing over the last couple of days. I've had a cold that I just got through and the right earpiece cleared out. Just to name another possibility... if it's not the drivers, which if I'm correct are the same ones as in your old right earpiece, it could be the tips/canals that need to re-adjust.

May 31, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #2,425 of 5,554
I guess I don't see how the cable that comes with UEs top of the line customs is any less better than that of Westones, but yet it has a much more compatible connector? I don't plan on buying another case, so that is not an option. I already have way too many cases for this phone and at the end of the day the best solution (to me) is still that $29 piece of plastic/rubber. So we have one viable option so far, extension cable. Anyone know of any actual replacement cables that will fit the bumper?
[/quote]

The ES5 cables can fit the bumper by simpl making the opening a little bigger. I was going to use my Dremmel to open it, but a metal chopstick and the stove would have to do. I never use the bumper anymore so I figured what the hey?

Heat the chopstick's fat end and just stick it in the bumper's earphone hole and twist the chopstick in a circular motion opening the hole until it fits your cables. Once my Dremmel is charged, I'll smooth out the hole so it looks better.

May 31, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #2,426 of 5,554
There's a unique idea. I tried shaving my old bumper with a exacto knife and it didn't go so well. Now where to find a metal chopstick..... or something of similar diameter, lol. Thanks for the cool idea.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #2,428 of 5,554

Quote:
Why doesn't Westone custom IEM's use the Westone 4 cables with the slim diameter 3.5mm jack housing?

it's possible that the cables are from different suppliers that have different style plugs but I think it's more a supply and demand issue, until the custom cables with the older style plug are phased out, westone won't introduce the newer plugs

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #2,429 of 5,554
So today... I got a call from ThinkingGroup saying my ES5s are STILL in America despite the fact it should have arrived in Hong Kong last week. Turns out ThinkingGroup doesn't know when they will be shipped out and the estimated delay is about 2 weeks.. :frowning2:

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #2,430 of 5,554
Because it is designed as a live monitoring in ear so it needs to be robust. I really like the plug from westone, very solid. I'm using my ES3X for monitoring at least once a week for more than 1 year and I don't have any problem with the cable.

EDIT: Westone 4 is made for audiophile, very different purpose than its brother the UM3X which also designed as a live monitoring.

Quote:
Why doesn't Westone custom IEM's use the Westone 4 cables with the slim diameter 3.5mm jack housing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back