Westone ES5
May 30, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2,401 of 5,554

That was because the 18 Pro didn't start production back then... Situation is like you place your JH3A order a few months back... Or the BHSE electrostatic amp - the wait time is one year lol.

Quote:
You have a lot of patience. That wait time is unacceptable, I would have requested a refund after the 1st month.

May 30, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #2,403 of 5,554

Quote:
I didn't know Thinking Group had a retail branch.. or did you order yours at "Golden Ears" (listed at TG's website)? 

I went to ThinkingGroups Sale's office in Kwai Fong and dealt with them directly, as if you order it through another retailer in Hong Kong, eg Jaben, Mingo, Golden Ears and such it would take 1-2 more weeks due to the fact they have to send it to ThinkingGroup, which then sends it to Westone, Production Process, Back to Thinking Group, Back to Retailer :p

May 30, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #2,404 of 5,554
Great info. Thanks
etysmile.gif

Quote:
I went to ThinkingGroups Sale's office in Kwai Fong and dealt with them directly, as if you order it through another retailer in Hong Kong, eg Jaben, Mingo, Golden Ears and such it would take 1-2 more weeks due to the fact they have to send it to ThinkingGroup, which then sends it to Westone, Production Process, Back to Thinking Group, Back to Retailer :p

May 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #2,406 of 5,554
One thing I will say, is that you have to have patience with the Westones.. I have a feeling they are pretty stacked up and are getting them out as fast as they can. Total time for me is about 2 months but that is from initial order time to just getting them back after re-fit. But that is including two weeks of testing before I sent them back,  then a couple weeks killed with new molds so that's really not bad, I did learn that if they say they will be finished and mailed by Friday, it will probably be the following Tuesday.  But, and I stress this, it is well worth the wait and should not be hurried.  Of course this is dealing directly with Westone in the U.S so I can see where some of you would be about ready to pull your hair out.

May 30, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2,407 of 5,554

Quote:
Anyways I wanted to ask typically how long is the burn in period of a ES5? 

Depends on a lot of things including what you mean by that term.  I can say to my ears they did not reach their final sound until 3-4 weeks of use.  People can use whatever reason they like to explain that, doesn't matter to me.  The first one to two weeks I didn't like them very much at all and sounded nothing like the demos I remembered.  YMMV and all that jazz.  

May 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #2,408 of 5,554

Quote:
Depends on a lot of things including what you mean by that term.  I can say to my ears they did not reach their final sound until 3-4 weeks of use.  People can use whatever reason they like to explain that, doesn't matter to me.  The first one to two weeks I didn't like them very much at all and sounded nothing like the demos I remembered.  YMMV and all that jazz.  

I agree, and I thought they sounded more analytical at first and improved with time.  For me the biggest changes were in the first 24 hours, then they settled down completely after a couple of weeks.  I've not experienced that with a BA IEM before.  

This was not simply brain burn-in either.  After I received them the first day I tried them for a very short while (30 minutes vs ES3X and JH13Pro) before I ran them for all night and the next day; I didn't have time to get used to the sound signature, and upon listening again for the first time the next evening I found the changes in comparison to my ES3X and JH13Pro were quite noticeable.  This was in comparison to a known standard or baseline.  Over time I noticed that my poor quality recordings or compressed music started to not bother me as much as they did at first.

May 31, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #2,410 of 5,554
As Westone starts building my ES5s today, I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I may buy a replacement cable with a connector on it that would fit the opening on an iPhone4 Apple bumper case. I'm not looking to get carried away and order a $200 custom cable, but something in the $50 range is acceptable. Anyone have some leads? Thank you

May 31, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #2,411 of 5,554
Quote:
I agree, and I thought they sounded more analytical at first and improved with time.  For me the biggest changes were in the first 24 hours, then they settled down completely after a couple of weeks.  I've not experienced that with a BA IEM before.  

This was not simply brain burn-in either.  After I received them the first day I tried them for a very short while (30 minutes vs ES3X and JH13Pro) before I ran them for all night and the next day; I didn't have time to get used to the sound signature, and upon listening again for the first time the next evening I found the changes in comparison to my ES3X and JH13Pro were quite noticeable.  This was in comparison to a known standard or baseline.  Over time I noticed that my poor quality recordings or compressed music started to not bother me as much as they did at first.

I'll say I've definitely perceived change in sound over time with the ES5 aswell. I only ran mine while listening and my out-of-the-box impression was that it had very strong bass and recessed highs. It has since developed into sounding very balanced with great, impactful bass but equally prominent treble. I also had to re-evaluate some recordings of mine, as the ES5 pointed out weaknesses, and strengths, that I was previously unaware of.

Since I haven't taken any steps to exclude brain burn-in, and brain burn-in has been consistent for me with previous headphones, that's pretty much what I attribute said changes to. I think the vinyl tips and my ear canals adjusting has something to do with it aswell, creating more space for the sound to flow through unobstructed, creating less reverberations in the low- and more pronounciation in the high frequency range.

May 31, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #2,412 of 5,554
Use different case or a small extension cable from apple 3.5mm plug to female 3.5mm. Like this.

Quote:
As Westone starts building my ES5s today, I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I may buy a replacement cable with a connector on it that would fit the opening on an iPhone4 Apple bumper case. I'm not looking to get carried away and order a $200 custom cable, but something in the $50 range is acceptable. Anyone have some leads? Thank you

May 31, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #2,413 of 5,554
I guess I could get an extension cable, but with all the replacement ables available I figured someone has to have made one with a lower profile connector similar to what is on the Westone4; I've heard that connector fits the bumper case. Also, looking at the current UE cables their connector looks like they'd fit a bumper case as well. Anyone else have some leads?

Use different case or a small extension cable from apple 3.5mm plug to female 3.5mm. Like this.

Quote:

May 31, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #2,414 of 5,554
I don't get your reasoning. If you want to buy an after market cable why do you want to buy a lower quality cable from UE or Westone 4? Just because of the plug? The ES5 cable is one of the best standard cable available. Don't sacrifice conviniency with quality.. Better buy another case (incase snap is awesome and fit every plug) or get an extension cable.

Quote:
I guess I could get an extension cable, but with all the replacement ables available I figured someone has to have made one with a lower profile connector similar to what is on the Westone4; I've heard that connector fits the bumper case. Also, looking at the current UE cables their connector looks like they'd fit a bumper case as well. Anyone else have some leads?

Quote:

Quote:

May 31, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #2,415 of 5,554
I guess I don't see how the cable that comes with UEs top of the line customs is any less better than that of Westones, but yet it has a much more compatible connector? I don't plan on buying another case, so that is not an option. I already have way too many cases for this phone and at the end of the day the best solution (to me) is still that $29 piece of plastic/rubber. So we have one viable option so far, extension cable. Anyone know of any actual replacement cables that will fit the bumper?

I don't get your reasoning. If you want to buy an after market cable why do you want to buy a lower quality cable from UE or Westone 4? Just because of the plug? The ES5 cable is one of the best standard cable available. Don't sacrifice conviniency with quality.. Better buy another case (incase snap is awesome and fit every plug) or get an extension cable.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back