Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #5,056 of 5,568
First thing I would do is reseat the cable connectors (disconnect and reconnect the cable both sides). Then blow some air onto the nozzles, (just with your mouth) to clear any debris that may of been exchanged when changing the tips.

i like to also use alcohol wipes on the pins to make sure no debris going into the pin holes

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #5,057 of 5,568
Sorry if this is a repeat:

What you use for tip selection?  Also...are you using any type of EQ for an added "fun factor."?

The short stem of the W4 makes it a difficult tip choice.  I like the "non-colored" star tip but because of the short stem the housing seems to interfere with my ear cavity so I am always adjusting.  The red star tip is identical diameter but has longer flange and seems to work much better...about perfect actually.  The P-series comply sort of "dull" everything down with W4 ALREADY being so smooth sounding.

I'm using the "jazz" EQ setting on my Ipod classic which just tips the bass and treble just a small pinch.  Certainly not enough to screw anything up but to add a little pizzazz.

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #5,058 of 5,568
Midnight cable from BTG-Audio. BTG doesn't claim any sonic benefits, but it is a touch warmer and cleaner than the stock epic cable. If I had paid $105 I wouldn't be quick to recommend it to those looking for serious upgrades (a $105 amp or DAC would bring more benefit over a $105 cable), but I got it at about half the price here from another member. :)

When my ES5 come in I plan to switch the cable over to them.

Cool, many thanks for the clarification and sharing :)
I just bought myself that cable for my HE-500 and now have to wait for another month before it gets shipped down here in to Sydney.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #5,059 of 5,568
Hi Fellow westone 4 owners,

I would like some advice on cable upgrades from around $100 to $200.
I am based in Australia and I would like to know if any of you can recommend quality silver or copper/silver hybrid cables on ebay or other sellers and cable makers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #5,060 of 5,568

I am based in Australia and I would like to know if any of you can recommend quality silver or copper/silver hybrid cables on ebay or other sellers and cable makers?

Silver dragon cable from moon audio. IMO, retains the sound signature of W4 whilst cleaning up the entire spectrum giving tighter lows, better extension and clarity. Removed the slight veil that I experienced with stock cable too.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #5,061 of 5,568
Originally Posted by 1199-R /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing some upgrade cables as well. So far i have found the following, all from ebay:

Taiwan ALO 5N OCC Upgrade Cable for Westone 4R W4R um3x RC ES3 Custom – 59.99 USD
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Taiwan-ALO-5N-OCC-upgrade-cable-for-Westone-4R-W4R-um3x-RC-ES3-Custom-/261228143613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd26923fd

6N OFHC Silver Plated Westone UM2 W3RX W4R Upgrade Cable – 57.99 USD
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6N-OFHC-Silver-Plated-Westone-UM2-W3RC-W4R-CM-Upgrade-Cable-/221319773955?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3387afbf03

7N OCC Upgrade Cable Westone UM2 UM3RX W4R – 111.99 USD
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7N-OCC-Upgrade-Cable-Westone-UM2-UM3RX-W4R-/221327717857?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item338828f5e1

Zee's Music Baldur MKIII upgrade cable for Westone 4R UM3XRC W4R ES3 -140 USD

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zees-Music-Baldur-MKIII-upgrade-cable-for-Westone-4R-UM3XRC-W4R-ES3-/261278803236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd56e2524

Zee's Music Dark Lord (Telfon) upgrade cable for Westone 4R W4R um3x RC CM ES3 -38.99 USD

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zees-Music-Dark-Lord-Telfon-upgrade-cable-for-Westone-4R-W4R-um3x-RC-CM-ES3-/251389015155?pt=US_Music_Mixed_Lots_Other_Formats&hash=item3a87f3f473

Does anyone have any idea which would offer good price / performance upgrade from stock?

Thank you.

I am also in australia :D

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #5,062 of 5,568
  I haven't heard another BA that comes close to sounding as dynamic or natural when it comes to sustain and body of note (without adding artificial reverb).  My pre-order goes in as soon as they are officially announced.
vrt

What are you talking about?

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #5,064 of 5,568

http://headphonelounge.com/in-ear-monitor-cables/

Ted is the man for cables

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #5,066 of 5,568
Someone was selling one of those cables in the FS forum a week ago -- $65 shipped. Maybe look for that, it'd be a steal...dunno about silver wires; but then again I do not like bright sound signatures, and adding brightness or top-end definition at the expense of some bass is not for me! Copper all the way :p

note: I say that without ever having tried an SPC or pure silver cable.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #5,067 of 5,568
  Someone was selling one of those cables in the FS forum a week ago -- $65 shipped. Maybe look for that, it'd be a steal...dunno about silver wires; but then again I do not like bright sound signatures, and adding brightness or top-end definition at the expense of some bass is not for me! Copper all the way :p

note: I say that without ever having tried an SPC or pure silver cable.

That was me.  It was an SPC SE cable with a 90* FBI plug from TED.   Fantastic cable!  

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #5,068 of 5,568
Westone rocks!  My W4s seemed just a bit off so I sent them in to be checked out as the 2 year warranty was right at it's end (a couple of days past actually).  A few days later Penny with Westone Customer Service sends me a FedEx tracking number for the replacement set they are sending me. When the package arrives I open it to find a brand new set of W4R.  No hastles, no questions.  Just excellent communication and service.

Westone customer service is a 100% class act!

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #5,069 of 5,568
  Westone rocks!  My W4s seemed just a bit off so I sent them in to be checked out as the 2 year warranty was right at it's end (a couple of days past actually).  A few days later Penny with Westone Customer Service sends me a FedEx tracking number for the replacement set they are sending me. When the package arrives I open it to find a brand new set of W4R.  No hastles, no questions.  Just excellent communication and service.

Westone customer service is a 100% class act!

Did they say if there was anything wrong with the W4?

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #5,070 of 5,568
Not specifically.  But a new W4R's being sent without question leads me to conclude there was a problem with them.

In another testament to the quality of Westone's customer service is that if I shipped them in they were willing to evaluate them at no charge and ship them back at their expense (if nothing proved wrong with them).

Thanks Westone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back