Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5,041 of 5,568
  Is it possible to wire the 4r fort a balanced configuration?  If so are there any benefits?  I have a Cypher Labs Theorem on the way and the curiousity is killing me.

I have a balanced cable from Ted @ head food.  The bass is a bit punchier and the sound stage is a bit wider on my RSA Protector in balanced mode.  

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #5,042 of 5,568
True but I cant think of a dap that has a better dac than a external dac,even the ak120 its a great dap but a great paired amp and dac externally couldbe better than what it has to offer...it comes down to portability but it doesnt really come down to soundquality as I think there is still room for Improvement on a single dap setup.

That is true for any source component, though. Some people have vinyl set-ups for their source. Or CD transports. I don't think there's such a thing as a portable DAC, at least it's not a common solution (HeadAmp has some iirc). That's why you would want a good DAP – that and to cut down on gear you have to carry. A good DAP eliminates the need for a portable amp, too.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #5,043 of 5,568
Hey fellow 4R owners. Can anyone share their experience using Ultimate Ears custom cables? The one's for their custom monitors are only $30. I'm wondering if it's an upgrade to the original cable?

This cable I'm talking about.

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5,044 of 5,568
  Hey fellow 4R owners. Can anyone share their experience using Ultimate Ears custom cables? The one's for their custom monitors are only $30. I'm wondering if it's an upgrade to the original cable?

This cable I'm talking about.

i wouldnt say that is any upgrade from the cable that comes with the W4r. Ultimate ears pins are slightly shorter than westones. and for the customs i believe their spacing is slightly off, different from say you have the tf10 and want to use a customs upgrade cable the hole spacing is slightly offset...so i dont know how it would work in the westones if it would work at all.

personally i would say save your money. becuase IMO its not a upgrade 

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #5,045 of 5,568
I thought the UE pre 2010 were the same as the Westone pin? I definitely like the braid they use on their cables than the Westone cable if my UERM cable is any indication.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #5,046 of 5,568
  I thought the UE pre 2010 were the same as the Westone pin? I definitely like the braid they use on their cables than the Westone cable if my UERM cable is any indication.

i mean it looks like a nicer cable, but i dont think the conductors used are going to create any change....maybe if you are looking for asthetics....but as far as sound quality, i dont think you will gain anything more than the stock cable. imo

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #5,047 of 5,568
I agree, I don't think a $30 cable is going to be an upgrade over the stock cable. Unless your Westone cable is faulty I wouldn't purchase a replacement unless you have more to invest in playing with higher grade cables. I'm using a $105 cable and it's only a touch smoother than the Westone cable.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #5,048 of 5,568
I agree, I don't think a $30 cable is going to be an upgrade over the stock cable. Unless your Westone cable is faulty I wouldn't purchase a replacement unless you have more to invest in playing with higher grade cables. I'm using a $105 cable and it's only a touch smoother than the Westone cable.

Hi TK,

Care to share the $105 cable for the IEM that you mentioned above ? is that StarLight CIEm cable from BTG Audio ? :wink:

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #5,050 of 5,568
Hi TK,

Care to share the $105 cable for the IEM that you mentioned above ? is that StarLight CIEm cable from BTG Audio ?
wink.gif

Midnight cable from BTG-Audio. BTG doesn't claim any sonic benefits, but it is a touch warmer and cleaner than the stock epic cable. If I had paid $105 I wouldn't be quick to recommend it to those looking for serious upgrades (a $105 amp or DAC would bring more benefit over a $105 cable), but I got it at about half the price here from another member. :)

When my ES5 come in I plan to switch the cable over to them.

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #5,051 of 5,568
I've owned my westone 4r for half a year now - I love it. Finally decided to pick up a PHA1 to go with it. Looking to upgrade the cable next. :)

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5,052 of 5,568
Hey, have been using my Westone 4R since end June last year on a daily basis... I changed the stock wires earlier this year (about May) as it failed on me to the Scorpion cables by Toxic Cables.
So just now, I changed my ear buds to the triple flange and somehow, the 4R sounded very weird and so I changed back to my normal earbuds but the problem still persisted, in a way where some drivers were not having any sound from both sides. The left side sounded very airy (it felt like as though there was no isolation at all but in fact there was still a good seal) with the right side sounding very muddy and extremely soft. 
confused.gif

Playing music at volume at 100% with both my laptop and iphone 5 still sounded softer than my 4R at 50% when it was alright. Any help? Can't seem to find this problem anywhere else too...
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #5,053 of 5,568
First thing I would do is reseat the cable connectors (disconnect and reconnect the cable both sides). Then blow some air onto the nozzles, (just with your mouth) to clear any debris that may of been exchanged when changing the tips.

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #5,054 of 5,568
Could be one from Ted.

I have one from Ted.  Actually I have two from Ted; one is balanced.  They are both the hybrid (silver coated Cu wire?).  

The 'Ted' SE cable sounds punchier and more controlled in lower frequencies than the stock cable.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back