Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Apr 2, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,426 of 5,568

[size=9.0pt]I am still trying to decide between the w3 and w4. [/size]

[size=9.0pt] [/size]

[size=9.0pt]Which one would you prefer for classical music and for Pink Floyd, Dave Matthews (especially the acoustic, with Tim Reynolds)?[/size]

[size=9.0pt] [/size]

[size=9.0pt]Is the volume of both loud enough straight from an iphone?[/size]

[size=9.0pt] [/size]

[size=9.0pt]Thanks![/size]

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,427 of 5,568
To me, no contest with those genres. W4. It's balance and detail retrieval is amazing. Both work fine from the iPhone. The W3 is super sensitive and requires very little volume. The W4 needs maybe 10 to 15% more volume.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,428 of 5,568
Can someone compare Westone 4 and Earsonics SM3? Except the obvious 4 drivers.

Check the famous Jokers's 158 IEM comparo thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-158-iems-compared-westone-4-radius-twf21-added-03-27). He has very detailed reviews of both SM3 and W4. Just search a little through first page and you'll be fine :wink:

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,429 of 5,568
Well, to bad there no place to audition them all :) My impression from many reviews is that SM3 is closer to UM3X signature than W4. Do you find this to be correct?

Quote:

It depends on your preferences. The SM3 is much thicker and more mid/bass centric than the W4. The W4 is very balanced in comparison. The SM3 is a bit more engaging and upfront ("musical?") while the W4 is more of a do-nothing-wrong, perfectly balanced IEM. It's not to say the W4 is boring though, it is far from it, the SM3 just seems more exciting in comparison.

I had some previous thoughts posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/544356/some-musical-musings-re262-sm3-w4-comparisons-and-impressions

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,430 of 5,568
It's hard to say. The SM3 is similar to the UM3x only in that it is more skewed to the bass and mids in signature. That is where the similarities end though. The SM3 has much more clarity and energy in the entire spectrum, and I personally didn't like the UM3x too much since it seemed a bit lifeless and "veiled" to me. The SM3 is more similar to the W4 in that it has good clarity and energy, but keep in mind that the notes are thicker coming out of the SM3 and the W4 is much more balanced.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,431 of 5,568
So just got these in the mail. First impressions are that I feel like I enjoy my RE0 more...these are my first real iem so maybe I need to adjust. At times things sound too muddy, far more than the RE0s. Sometimes they sound sibilant. I have yet to find something I like more with these over the RE0s. What am I doing wrong??

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,432 of 5,568
Tips, fitment, and brain burn-in. Just give it some time. If you don't like them, it is ok. I'd listen to them for some days straight though and then revert back to the RE0. That way you can enjoy the W4 for what it is, then see what the RE0 was like again.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,433 of 5,568
It can be especially hard because the different tips give different sounds. Which is the "right" one, lol? Some are a bit too muddy, some too thin. The stock foam are working best for me right now, but they don't sound hugely better over the RE0 as of yet.

also, i got the shure olives, and i had a hell of a time getting them off...i thought i was going to break the housing/nozzle.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #1,434 of 5,568
There's no rush. Just tinker with the tips and you will come to a point where you grab the same ones over and over :wink:

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #1,436 of 5,568
So just got these in the mail. First impressions are that I feel like I enjoy my RE0 more...these are my first real iem so maybe I need to adjust. At times things sound too muddy, far more than the RE0s. Sometimes they sound sibilant. I have yet to find something I like more with these over the RE0s. What am I doing wrong??

Maybe you just prefer the RE0s? :smile:

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #1,438 of 5,568
I'm sure I have the right fit/seal now, and I A/B'd against my Denon 2000s. The Denon's just have better clarity and transparency, where the W4s sound kind of muddy/veiled in comparison. Maybe this is just how IEM's are going to sound compared to an open, full headphone. I'm new to this, obviously. The Denon's just sound more engaging and fun to me. Unfortunately, almost any over the head headphone gives me a headache quickly, so I'm probably going to be selling the Denon's shortly.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #1,440 of 5,568

Quote:
I'm sure I have the right fit/seal now, and I A/B'd against my Denon 2000s. The Denon's just have better clarity and transparency, where the W4s sound kind of muddy/veiled in comparison. Maybe this is just how IEM's are going to sound compared to an open, full headphone. I'm new to this, obviously. The Denon's just sound more engaging and fun to me. Unfortunately, almost any over the head headphone gives me a headache quickly, so I'm probably going to be selling the Denon's shortly.

It's not really that IEM's sound all sound like that, it's just how most of the popular ones around here sound. If you want something that sounds like it has more clarity, I'd suggest looking into the Etymotic ER4S(P) or the RE0's. To me, those have the higher treble or "clarity" that you're probably looking for. Neither of those have the kind of bass the Denon D2000's have though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back