Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 29, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #1,396 of 5,568

Quote:
The warranty is on CD included.I think IMHO the CD has a code when you install it on your pc, so i think it can be used only once, anyway when you register your W4 online you get 1 year, and for the extra 1 year, print the card fill it in with your detailed and send it to Westone Colorado.
Hope this helps, Levi
PS.You will get 2 years international warranty only if you buy from a Authorized Westone Dealer.

I haven't registered mine yet as the person that had it before forgot to send in the receipt but I guess I'll have to register and send in the card to get the 2 year warranty. It seems like an extra unnecessary step :p

I've been using the W4 the most out of every earphone I own right now and the others are not bad at all but the W4 just has something special for me. It's a very pleasing sound while also being good on a technical level. I could listen to these for hours and I think I've settled on the Meelec balanced biflange tip which is good enough for now.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,397 of 5,568
So I've had the RE0s for awhile now, and just ordered a pair if Westone 4s. Anyone here who has heard both, what should I be expecting in taking this leap? I'm expecting to be totally knocked out by the improvement, but I already think the RE0s are so good sounding...

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #1,398 of 5,568

Quote:
So I've had the RE0s for awhile now, and just ordered a pair if Westone 4s. Anyone here who has heard both, what should I be expecting in taking this leap? I'm expecting to be totally knocked out by the improvement, but I already think the RE0s are so good sounding...

I heard the RE0's briefly at a meet and the RE0's treble is alot brighter. You might feel like you lost some detail with the W4's, but if you spend some time with them, you'll realize that the detail is there, the presentation is just different.

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #1,399 of 5,568

Quote:

Do you think the mids on the W4 are at all forward or similar to the Shure's mids? 

They are more forward than the W3, and less than the UM3X.  My SE530 are in a custom shell and the W4 mids blow the SE530 away.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #1,400 of 5,568
I heard the RE0's briefly at a meet and the RE0's treble is alot brighter. You might feel like you lost some detail with the W4's, but if you spend some time with them, you'll realize that the detail is there, the presentation is just different.

Why am I so nervous that these vastly more expensive headphones are not going to feel justified if I already like the RE0?

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #1,401 of 5,568

Quote:
Looks like fulcrumaudio.ca has them for $392.07. I've got a feeling they will change the price once they have sold a few.

http://www.fulcrumaudio.ca/HeadPhones/Westone-4.html

Thanks, checked that out, unfortunately they charge HST even to provinces that don't have HST. Normally buying from PEI I'm only charged GST on out of province or cross border sales so that extra tax pretty much negates the savings for me so I'll continue to bide my time. I'm in no particular rush, just curious about them.

Mar 30, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #1,402 of 5,568
Quote:
Quote:

Why am I so nervous that these vastly more expensive headphones are not going to feel justified if I already like the RE0?

I'm not sure? They are vastly superior
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #1,403 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:

On a bright side... Being used to the brightness of the Grado RS1i, I wasn't as disappointed in the W4 as I was the Shure SE535's. :)

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,404 of 5,568
Hi

Curious really, I'm assuming the isolation ability of the 4 is the same as the westone 2?

Cheers

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #1,406 of 5,568
Which would hypothetically give me better sound quality: my 2011 MacBook pro, with nuforce udac to firestone cute beyond amp, or mbp optical out to Astro mixamp?

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #1,407 of 5,568

[size=10.0pt]Do you guys think the Westone 4 would be too much for a newby in earphones? [/size]

[size=10.0pt]My reference for comparison is the Shure SE 115, which I find a little too muffled.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Also, I´m planning to use it straight from my iphone, without a DAC or AMP.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Should I go for the Westone 4 (or maybe save a few bucks and go for the W3 or another)?[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

Thanks

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #1,408 of 5,568

Quote:

[size=10.0pt]Do you guys think the Westone 4 would be too much for a newby in earphones? [/size]

[size=10.0pt]My reference for comparison is the Shure SE 115, which I find a little too muffled.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Also, I´m planning to use it straight from my iphone, without a DAC or AMP.[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Should I go for the Westone 4 (or maybe save a few bucks and go for the W3 or another)?[/size]

[size=10.0pt] [/size]

Thanks

It really depends on what you want. Having never heard the SE115 I'd imagine it would be a pretty big jump and probably give you one of those "wow" moments when you first use them if you have never heard something of the W4 caliber before. I use the W4 straight out of my J3 a lot and I really like them. A dac/amp does sound better but the W4 right out of a dap like my J3 is still great.

As for the W3 and W4 they both sound different with different signatures so it depends on what you want.

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,409 of 5,568
While it is less expensive, the W3 will offer the bigger "wow" factor with it's bigger, bolder more articulate sound.  W4 is more subdued, more refined and more reference-type sounding.

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,410 of 5,568

Quote:
While it is less expensive, the W3 will offer the bigger "wow" factor with it's bigger, bolder more articulate sound.  W4 is more subdued, more refined and more reference-type sounding.

The wow factor of the W3 was really fun at first, until I noticed that its mid bass cannon was bleeding into the mids; making some vocals too chesty and some low guitar notes to thick and rounded with my music.  Hopefully I won't miss that fun factor too much tomorrow when the W4's arrive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back