Vsonic GR07 MK2 - stunning new cable! | bio-cel tech IEM | now with review - see 2nd post
Dec 7, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #841 of 982
Just putting this out there b4 the usual replies:  The soundstage and imaging performance we speak of in IEM's, has nothing to do with soundstage in the recording, or binaural... and no, crossfeed isn't the solution to 'fix' something, since - 1) stereo recordings, stereo mixes, and stereo imaging... suit stereo earphones like a glove, 2) IEM's aren't supposed to sound like speakers, a lot the IEM appeal is in having the sound inside your head, instead of 5 metres in front, it's like mind sex.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #843 of 982
Quote:
Ya I was looking at something more neutral sounding and I can hear the difference already. How long is "extensive"? Do I really need 200+ hours that I read?  

Personally, I would say not. Mine changed with 100 hours on them or so, but the manufacturers recommend 200-300 hours for them to sound their best.

The biggest complaints that are made about the GR07 out of the box, are woolly bass, combined with harsh mids and sibilant trebles. This changes radically over time to become one of the best sounding and most balanced IEM's I have so far heard. Not sure what source you are using, but it matches beautifully with Colorfly's C3, but tbh it sounds good with any source I have tried it with. Enjoy :)

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #845 of 982
To phlashbios, how does it sound out of your Clip Zip versus your C3?

Completely different.

The neutrality of the Clip Zip combined with the neutrality of the GR07, unsurprisingly perhaps, gives you an entirely neutral presentation. That is not without its charms though, because the lovely clarity of the Zip combines with the GR07 to give you a really nice presentation where layered music such as trance and other genres of multilayered synth EDM, work really well, and metal works well on it too. Some people would hate the presentation and find the whole thing a bit clinical. I am not one of those however, I think it works really well. Soundstage is also good. You have to be careful with this combination however, it doesn't lend itself to female vocals particularly well, or things that require a fairly warm beat, like Reggae. You need to be selective with the Zip and the GR07 together, because while some music is great on it, some isn't.

The C3 and the GR07 - what a marriage. The smoothness and slight warmth of the C3 works so well with the GR07, they should be sold as a pair. The C3 turns the GR07 into something altogether more musical. Bass has extra depth and warmth, mids come forward a little, trebles are smoothed slightly. It's just joyous. It adds a sort of "analogue" feel to the presentation, compared to the Zip's more "digital" feel. Music that makes extensive use of stereo panning and soundstage such as albums by 1200 Micrograms, leave you closing your eyes on occasions and feeling the cosmos around you. Classic Rock, such as Led Zeppelin, is warm and bluesy, just the way it is supposed to be. There is some kind of synergy that goes on with the C3 and the GR07 that is beyond electrical mechanics and physics and just works. There is another IEM in my collection that is the same with the C3 and that is the T-PEOS H-100KG - it too is just a great pairing with it. On the other hand, my favourite IEM which is Cosmic Ears HY3, does not like the C3 at all, it is smooth sounding anyway and the extra smoothness of the C3 just overdoes it, not to mention the fact that I have to drive the C3 at max volume with it too - it's an odd one that one.

Anyway I will shut up now, I am starting to ramble... :D

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #848 of 982
The last time I saw the word diatribe used was in BBC news about this guy, perhaps the best Chess player which ever lived.

He just became really 'politically incorrect' in his later life, so the news whisks off people like that.

Yeah, off-topic but it's my thread so I can do what I like.

The Colorfly C3 uses a TI1770 chip, but Colorfly must have tweaked it in some other way via software or hardware, because it looks like the frequency response has a very deep null in the mid-bass, I'm not sure, does the Clip+ have more mid-bass to you?

Since the Colorfly CK4 uses the Cirrus Logic CS4398 (which is one of my favorite sounding DAC's) and includes both headphone-out and line-out the CK4 is the more interesting model to me.

I've been a bit concerned about Chinese sellers and fakes, but it seems like e-earphone.jp is selling it now, and naturally they'd only buy it directly from Colorfly, so, then I'd buy it directly from them in Japan.

Except, I already use a fairly high-end DAC with the Cirrus Logic CS4398 for my desktop audio, so I'd rather have a different sound in portable audio.

I bought a Sony Z1070 Walkman a few weeks ago and it never arrived, the seller refunded me, except the refund hasn't reached my account yet, and it all seems a little fishy. =/

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #849 of 982
Quote:
The last time I saw the word diatribe used was in BBC news about this guy, perhaps the best Chess player which ever lived.

He just became really 'politically incorrect' in his later life, so the news whisks off people like that.

Yeah, off-topic but it's my thread so I can do what I like.

I just read a bit about him. "Politically incorrect" is an understatement! Wow, he had some harsh views.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #850 of 982
Audio Technica ATH-CKM33 arrived today.  It has a sense of completeness and entrancement which is extremely noteworthy for the price.  This is in my top four IEM's under $100 now.

I searched for some more info and it seems to have a brass stabilizer in it.

I can't hear the brass though, unlike in the JVC FX500.

For only 16 ohm's, it responds pretty well to amplification too.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #851 of 982
Quote:
Audio Technica ATH-CKM33 arrived today.  It has a sense of completeness and entrancement which is extremely noteworthy for the price.  This is in my top four IEM's under $100 now.

I searched for some more info and it seems to have a brass stabilizer in it.

I can't hear the brass though, unlike in the JVC FX500.

For only 16 ohm's, it responds pretty well to amplification too.

the ck 33 looks pretty neat, I think I should try and get one in exchange for my MH1c! .. can you confirm if they are bass-lite.. I just hate exaggerated sub-bass.. they kill any and all dynamics present 

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #853 of 982
Im looking for piano forte II or fxd 60 in exchange for the MH1c.. hmm ..looks like the ckm 33 might have to come in between 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #854 of 982
It all depends, the Final Audio Piano Forte II is nice with vocal music since it's very mid-centric with nice qualities there, the CKM33 is very very good with electric guitars since it has very nice rawness, sustain and focus without dissonance, the FXD80 has intense intimacy, V-shaped sound is very well suited action movies and music like psytrance.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #855 of 982
I don't like intense v-shape .. just a u-shape like a dt 990 pro in an iem ... still I am not looking to play with my ears in my bass-yard anymore.. just want minimalistic bass as of now .. I think I ll try and get a deal on the RE-0 somewhere ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back