Vsonic GR07 MK2 - stunning new cable! | bio-cel tech IEM | now with review - see 2nd post
Jul 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #31 of 982
Different guitar cables are due to pretty large differences in capacitance - in other words, it's no longer a valid cable.
It's an "audiophile" trick as old as they come, you add a resistor and/or capacitor in the "cable".

I wouldn't put such an "eq" beyond VSonic, but perhaps this is actually a driver change...

Well resistors, there is the the ER-4P versus ER-4S, and Vsonic R04 updated version versus Vsonic R04 flagship version.

I think Vsonic would say if it's resistance.  It's more likely to be a change in the voice coil, magnetic flux density, bio-cellulose lab process, or *gasp* more strands, thicker, or purer silver content in the cable!

If you compare the Sony EX1000 cables there was 1 ohm difference is resistance, when measuring 4N versus 7N, I don't think the point of higher purity is only ~1 ohm less resistance in a cable lol.

I can't recall which forum it was, a Korean one I think, they said the Japanese version of the EX1000 sounded better (/different) due to the thicker cable with higher purity copper.

I don't necessarily believe that but yeah, hey, it's just a quest for purity.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #32 of 982
I can tell you now, my MKII have 150 hours on them.

On open box there was sibilance, they were very edgey in their presentation, border line harsh. I had to drop my EQ treble to compensate. it wasn't terrible but present none the less especially at higher volumes .Sibilance would appear when ever I turned volume up easily, never though at any point did I think I can't live with this, it was bareable. As I was burning in it started easing off, they become smoother each listen (about 15 hours each interval)

Not much changed for the first 50 hours but for piece of mind my EQ settings were still saved in VLC media player from open box. I had to start lifting the treble a touch to compensate each interval, that to me is a sure sign something was going on. Now they're at a point I can't notice it anymore and I'm having to find it in tracks I know are renowned for it to test. Also testing between MKII and my TF10 - TF10 are now showing sibilance in tracks the MKII are not. This has so far been my experience and I'm taking them up to 200 of the 300 hours recommended.

But take it with a grain a salt.    

That was also a lot of peoples experience with the MK1, think eke said the same? Mine were already used when I got them so didn't notice any change.

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #35 of 982
Quote:
Mine have shipped.

I'm going to try the burn-in game just in case there is a difference (haven't heard any in the past...), so it'll take a while until I can compile a review.

I'm not a huge fan of burn in, if I buy a new set of IEM's I'm not one who sends them immediately for a temple of burn ritual. After reading ljokersl and Clieos GRO7 reviews where they both said they noticed a slight improvement, plus talk about bio cellulose diaphragms seem to require it.... also the seller telling me to break them in, I thought I'll give them service. I set them up all night 15 hours at a time. I also feel separation has improved.  

I'll be very interested to hear your results Kiteki.  

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #37 of 982
Quote:
I burn in products as i have experienced changes, mainly with the EX1000 and ASG-1 but also s i do not review a product unburned in and cause a stir about it. 

Yeah, plus when doing a review it's kind of mandatory the IEM get some kind of hours in, otherwise people will question the review. The only other IEM I noticed change with was EPH-100 however that happened normally just from normal listening hours.  

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #38 of 982
Quote:
Yeah, plus when doing a review it's kind of mandatory the IEM get some kind of hours in, otherwise people will question the review. The only other IEM I noticed change with was EPH-100 however that happened normally just from normal listening hours.  

Well yes but i thought that was just expected not to write a review on like 3 hours listening :p

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #39 of 982
Quote:

Believers in burn-in. In fact, GR07 MK1 didn't change one bit since new. (they have >1000h on them) It's reasonably hard to get a reproducible identical seal on the other hand.
However different tips give better or worse results. The included silicone still gives lots of 6k sibilance.

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #43 of 982
It'd be a highly unusual dynamic driver otherwise. (And it's not a DDM, so there's no crossover.)

I'd expect something similar to Brainwavz M2, except higher impedance and obviously different frequency response: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BrainwavzM2.pdf

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #45 of 982
Quote:
This works mostly with BA IEMs, because they have varying impedances. GR07 has pretty flat ~40 Ohm or so.

Because impedance tends to increase at the high frequency when it does vary and low frequency impedance tends to stay linear regardless of driver design or quantity, that's actually not right. Bass should be affected the same and high frequency very little or even less with a BA because the resistor's lower % of change. Phase is unaffected unless there's a cross over and in that case, a resistor probably is not a good idea as it will change the crossover point. That said, how critical a design is to damping factor will also vary the effect of a load resistor on the lower registers. It's not just an electrical load. Designs like a Shure 530 can use an attenuator because the high frequency driver is actually running full range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back