VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 28, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #1,712 of 7,982

Quote:
UPDATE: OK guys...

50 hours burn in, and I can sort of see why people love this IEM, still a lot of sibilant, but the high is starting to settle and the muffle gradually fading away, its signature is starting to present itself and coming forward.

Played around with EQ with no real luck (classic 160G), flat still the best sounding one, followed by jazz and treble booster.

Though, I played some EDM (Daft Punk's Tron and A&B Group Therapy), it does sound good for this genre so far (thanks i2ehan, I can see why you recommended me this to use on EDM's).
Pop/Top 40, so so, I can listen to it, but still prefers my other IEM's to listen to them.
Hip Hop and Rap stuff are still hopeless, lots of bleeds, maybe it will get better after longer burn in
Jazz and live music, hopeless, I know, it's not particularly designed for them

I am still not convinced (mostly because I still can't get it fit and sealed properly, the light blue tips is the best fit that I can get, maybe around 75%-80% perfect, wasted some cash on ER6's foam tips but every single time it came loose and stuck in my canal, it fits but way too lose, contemplating on large T200 but hard to get in Aussie, have to order in and freight cost can be tricky -- what tips are people using for this)

Will do update post again after 100+ hours, I am curious what it will sound like after 300+ hours haha :)

Hmm, have you tried deeper insertion? I was having trouble getting good seals easily, and was using the very largest tips, which was weird since I usually use medium tips. Then I realized I wasn't pushing as far into my ears as I could've. Now I'm using either the default black tips or the green tips. What I do is pull down my earlobes and push the GR07s as far as I can, it helped alot.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #1,713 of 7,982
Has anyone noticed a slight decrease in build quality between the old batch of GR07 and the new batch? I sent my old one back because the left earpiece cut out, and the new one I received seems less well finished than how I remembered them to be...

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,715 of 7,982

Quote:
I do indeed, though it gives me some fatigue after a while, that was the reason why I bought the B2 after being married to M8 for a long time, it gives me a lot of fatigue after about 2-3 hours of listening straight (have to take it off for 10-15 mins after that).

I found B2 similar, it gives me fatigue, though no where as bad as M8, hence why I am willing to give GR07 a fair go, I fly a lot for work (Perth-Sydney 5 hours, and Perth-Brisbane 6 hours) and at the moment my silver bullet and Feels are my companion, I get no fatigue from either of them, though at the same time, they don't give me that "complete" satisfaction feeling that M8 and B2 give, when I use them :)

The Gr07 should be perfect for you with enough bottom to overcome a plane commute and some sparkle. They're also pretty congested fresh out of the box. I bet time and tips fixes things for you.

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #1,716 of 7,982

Quote:
Don't know about the new ones but the original version that I'm selling off seem plenty well finished and solid.

Man I'm really surprised that yours hasn't sold yet for that price. Amazing

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #1,717 of 7,982
Has anyone noticed a slight decrease in build quality between the old batch of GR07 and the new batch? I sent my old one back because the left earpiece cut out, and the new one I received seems less well finished than how I remembered them to be...

Could you be more specific? My new GR07 looks just as good as Joker's old batch. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #1,718 of 7,982

Quote:
Look into getting the Jays silicone tips. They are among the largest you can get for the GR07, and have the best sound I've heard.

I have to say, the Jays to me sound the best also, but I'm not a fan of the feel. I did get use to it however, but they seem cheap. The Phonacs Large and the Hi-fimans, (Also sound outstanding with these) are a little larger

Edit: And with great quality

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #1,719 of 7,982
Well, thanks to this very helpful (and incredibly long!) thread, and some advice on another thread I started, I am now awaiting shipment on my GR07's. This will be the first pair of decent headphones for me - I own a pair of Sennheiser HD201's, but c'mon...
wink.gif

These sound like an excellent value for their price range, and they sound like they'll do a superb job of handling whatever kind of music I'm in the mood for that day. I work 10 hour shifts in a data center, so I am hoping comfort and isolation will at least be adequate for my needs. Overall, I am very positive about what I'm expecting from these.

Thanks to everyone who has made this thread soooo informative and useful for us people who are in the market for a quality IEM!

- Woody

Edit: Speaking of the Sennheisers, can anyone tell me how the bass of the GR07 compares to the HD201? For my taste I like the quantity of bass in HD201, but it's really not clear or crisp, and this is where I'm hoping the GR07 will excel. I know they are very much different levels of 'phones, but if anyone else can lend any insight into how they compare I would greatly appreciate it
smile.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #1,721 of 7,982
All this FXT90 talk almost got to me but the more I read, the more I think while they would be nice I am sure the GR07 suite me better. I don't think I really want more aggressive sound.

So after talking with a friend via email I just ordered this http://www.ifuzen.com/ for added battery life and the headphone amp. I will post whether I like it later :)

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,722 of 7,982
Woody You should be very happy with them. I've had mine for a few days now and could not be happier.

The tips that came on them was what I used for the first few days, and as of now I think they are my favorite. Just started trying different ones yesterday and have settled on the bi flange for the moment. They are a bit too big. I'm not having a hard time getting a seal they are just a bit tight, uncomfortable. I guess I have smaller ear canals than most. The large tips fit in my ears but I can't get the deeper insertion with them. My question is am I better off with them deeper with a smaller tip or shallower with a bigger tip? assuming seal is the same. Another question is how can you tell if you have a proper seal? Sorry for the noob questions but having all these tip choices is confusing me. thanks

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,723 of 7,982
Well, it could just be my mind playing tricks on me; I'm seeing a teeny bit more glue around the seams and the text doesn't feel as cleanly etched as I remembered it; not really a big deal, as I don't hear any sound deficiencies, and the swiveling nozzle actually feels sturdier now, but I was just raising it to see if anyone also noticed the same thing, and to suggest that maybe because of demand the GR07 is no longer as extensively hand assembled and more prepared by machine these days.

Quote:
Don't know about the new ones but the original version that I'm selling off seem plenty well finished and solid.

Quote:
Could you be more specific? My new GR07 looks just as good as Joker's old batch. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #1,724 of 7,982
Does anyone know where these can be purchased in Hong Kong?

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,725 of 7,982
One thing I've been trying to articulate about the GR07 is how its "warmth" is tuned.  It's sounds very ethereal to my ears.. one can sense it but can't really "point out" where it's at.  Aside from the general sound signature, detail, and bass.. the ethereal nature of this warmth is one of the most intriguing aspects of the phone to me.  Combine that with the very refined, equally ethereal, delicate nature of how the "smoothness" is tuned.. it's no wonder why I enjoy them so much.

This is also one area where the FXT90 & GR07 differ.. while both phones can be considered "warm" & "smooth," the FXT90 is more aggressive in how it presents its warmth & smoothness.  The FXT isn't some wildly colored phone.. it's just that the warmth & smoothness are more apparent.  I consider the GR07 & FXT90 (which is now one of my favorite universals) to be very complimentary too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back