VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #1,697 of 7,982
I'm probably near 300 burn-in hours now, and I can tell you for a fact that the GR07 opens up in a way that most couldn't imagine at 100 or 150 burn-in hours. Now, I'm highly enthralled with the Sony 7550 and the Westone W4 now (as far as universals goes), but I can't keep the GR07 out of my ears. I was at a point where my exclusive travel to work universal was the W4, but now I find myself giving more time to the GR07 again. We'll see where the FXT90 fits in once it arrives. It's a good time for reasonably priced and great sounding universals. The GR07 has the most clarity and transparency of any dynamic IEM I've ever heard (yes, I think it beats my beloved FX700, but in all fairness I'm going by memory now). Now I'm ready for my next customs venture. I realized now (even with me liking the M-50 and FA-011) that I'm mainly an IEM type of guy. Happy listening.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #1,698 of 7,982
Quote:
I'm probably near 300 burn-in hours now, and I can tell you for a fact that the GR07 opens up in a way that most couldn't imagine at 100 or 150 burn-in hours. Now, I'm highly enthralled with the Sony 7550 and the Westone W4 now (as far as universals goes), but I can't keep the GR07 out of my ears. I was at a point where my exclusive travel to work universal was the W4, but now I find myself giving more time to the GR07 again. We'll see where the FXT90 fits in once it arrives. It's a good time for reasonably priced and great sounding universals. The GR07 has the most clarity and transparency of any dynamic IEM I've ever heard (yes, I think it beats my beloved FX700, but in all fairness I'm going by memory now). Now I'm ready for my next customs venture. I realized now (even with me liking the M-50 and FA-011) that I'm mainly an IEM type of guy. Happy listening.

That's the EXACT position I'm currently in my friend. I too ordered the FXT90 just yesterday, and wish to see where it stands in comparison to my beloved FX700. While I don't personally find the GR07 to offer better transparency than the FX700 (at least to my ears when I extensively A/B'-ed both), the GR07 doesn't fall short by any means in that regard, and it'd really be nitpicking, if anything. Much like you, I'm ready for my UM Miracles more than ever, and I too am an IEM guy. Even after my very first serious cans, the 900 PRO's, which I purchased a few months back, I found myself almost always reaching for my in-ears instead. 
smile.gif

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,699 of 7,982
X2

Quote:
That's the EXACT position I'm currently in my friend. I too ordered the FXT90 just yesterday, and wish to see where it stands in comparison to my beloved FX700. While I don't personally find the GR07 to offer better transparency than the FX700 (at least to my ears when I extensively A/B'-ed both), the GR07 doesn't fall short by any means in that regard, and it'd really be nitpicking, if anything. Much like you, I'm ready for my UM Miracles more than ever, and I too am an IEM guy. Even after my very first serious cans, the 900 PRO's, which I purchased a few months back, I found myself almost always reaching for my in-ears instead. 
smile.gif

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #1,700 of 7,982
yiikkeeesss...I just got mine yesterday as well, have been using B2 for the last 12 months or so, and compared to that, GR07 sounded terrible straight out of the box, the treble is very recessed, muffled, and massive, massive sibilant, not only that I am having trouble getting a good seal for my ear (I have a large canal), the 'best' one I can get is by using the largest single flange tips, but even that doesn't give me a proper seal

I have started the burn in process yesterday, hopefully things will improve, and I am in a mission to find a good tips so I can get a proper seal

...or perhaps I got a bad copy?

Sorry for your seal issues. That will have a definite affect on SQ. Good luck finding the right tip, and sorry for your wallet.

The B2 is a remarkable IEM. It is, however, a bit "hot" on the treble. It's very easy to both get used to the treble, and to start to crave it. :wink:

The GR07 is a different beast. It's much more balanced than the B2 and I think you might need to give your ears and brain time to adjust.

Not to mention that the GR07 really does seem to have a mechanical burn in as well. I noticed that the treble opened up modestly after some ungodly number of hours. Like over 100, probably more. It wasn't a huge change, but it was sufficient to bring the treble into its own with the rest of the frequencies.

Before mine fully burned in, and I got used to them, I characterized the GR07 as laid back and easy listening. To some degree I still think that is true, though I wouldn't say that the GR07 sacrifices anything to achieve it. Contrast that with the brash B2, which is in your face screaming at you!

I feel that this particular IEM requires patience. People who buy it and sell it quickly in disappointment probably never really get to hear and understand it fully. Which is a shame, I think.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #1,702 of 7,982
So I picked up a set of the sony hybrids awhile back. I just assumed that they would be better then the stock tips. I used them for a few weeks, just out of curiosity I decided to try the stock tips again and let me tell you.... the difference is staggering! I LOVE the stock tips much more then the hybrids. Everything is better, everything. They arnt as comfortable as the hybrids, but Ill make a sacrifice.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #1,703 of 7,982

FXT90 would be like a combination of the DDM and FX700, it's a thicker note IEM, but it's treble has both of the mentioned beat imo. It's balance is similar to the DDM's from the low and mids but it's treble actually sparkles and has nice transparency. Add in of course, that JVC timbre. 

I don't find the GR07 that transparent and clear, it's up there though, it's coloration is slight. The RE-Zero is more transparent and clear imo and I'll also add in the RE252, RE0 and EX1000 (RE272 will surely be up there). Preferences aside, the mentioned are just flatter from the lows and mids, for the treble I think the EX1000 requires some attenuation from foam tips, the REs are more airy than the GR07. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #1,704 of 7,982
We always say it here and it's true, funny how different ears hear different sounds fromt he same make of earphone or headphone. I think the GR07 is quite clear and transparent. So clear and transparent that it's astonishing to my ears for a dynamic. To me the W4s are more colored and not as clear or transparent (but still very good in its own right).

Now I love the sound of the DDM, but it's not clear at all, so this will be interesting. But if it has better treble, and the timbre of the FX700, it should be a very exciting IEM.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #1,705 of 7,982
I agree with the above though, the GR07 is clearer more transparent than the FX700, DDM, even W4. But not compared to the ones mentioned (and more that I didn't mention). Not saying it isn't clear and transparent it is, but ime it's not leading in that aspect over certain IEMs, even the budget RE-Zero.

Don't expect more clarity on the FXT90 in the bass and mids, only in the treble compared to the GR07. It's got other special qualities though that you may appreciate such as soundstage, timbre and dynamic range. 

Transparency/Flat response can be made into an objective ime, IEMs such as the ER4S and CK10 are simply more true to the source compared to the GR07. Whether it's liked or not is what your preferences are saying. Even with a response closest to the reference sound, some dip or peak may cause you dislike that IEM despite that strength, that's preference but the IEM is still transparent. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #1,706 of 7,982
Owing to the infamous laws of diminishing returns, I've gone from the EX1000 to the EX600, from the W4 to the GR07, from the RE272 to the RE252, from the e-Q7 to the e-Q5, and now it seems very likely the FXT90 may potentially replace, yet again, another one of my top tiers; the FX700. I'll know in due time of course. Oh, what a blessing it is to see such competent in-ears at such competitive price points! And it's only bound to get better... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #1,707 of 7,982
Sounds like quite an adventure, those are all good IEMs. 

From ER4S to PFE? (not the same brand but similar sound lol) Sorry for tempting. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,709 of 7,982
UPDATE: OK guys...

50 hours burn in, and I can sort of see why people love this IEM, still a lot of sibilant, but the high is starting to settle and the muffle gradually fading away, its signature is starting to present itself and coming forward.

Played around with EQ with no real luck (classic 160G), flat still the best sounding one, followed by jazz and treble booster.

Though, I played some EDM (Daft Punk's Tron and A&B Group Therapy), it does sound good for this genre so far (thanks i2ehan, I can see why you recommended me this to use on EDM's).
Pop/Top 40, so so, I can listen to it, but still prefers my other IEM's to listen to them.
Hip Hop and Rap stuff are still hopeless, lots of bleeds, maybe it will get better after longer burn in
Jazz and live music, hopeless, I know, it's not particularly designed for them

I am still not convinced (mostly because I still can't get it fit and sealed properly, the light blue tips is the best fit that I can get, maybe around 75%-80% perfect, wasted some cash on ER6's foam tips but every single time it came loose and stuck in my canal, it fits but way too lose, contemplating on large T200 but hard to get in Aussie, have to order in and freight cost can be tricky -- what tips are people using for this)

Will do update post again after 100+ hours, I am curious what it will sound like after 300+ hours haha :)

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #1,710 of 7,982

Quote:
Still though - best not to force one's self to like it.  If you prefer hotter treble and more "exciting" sound, then that's just a personal choice, there's nothing wrong with your ears.

I do indeed, though it gives me some fatigue after a while, that was the reason why I bought the B2 after being married to M8 for a long time, it gives me a lot of fatigue after about 2-3 hours of listening straight (have to take it off for 10-15 mins after that).

I found B2 similar, it gives me fatigue, though no where as bad as M8, hence why I am willing to give GR07 a fair go, I fly a lot for work (Perth-Sydney 5 hours, and Perth-Brisbane 6 hours) and at the moment my silver bullet and Feels are my companion, I get no fatigue from either of them, though at the same time, they don't give me that "complete" satisfaction feeling that M8 and B2 give, when I use them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back