Vintage Pioneer thread
Aug 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #181 of 272

Wondering if Monitor 10R and Monitor II are the same just different marketing. Yes i did look around but nothing definitive.

Those "8"'s sure look nice. Congratulations!

The 10r are the modern version (10 years ago!). They sound similar, but the 10r is a little more refined, mostly in tighter bass

Now I really want to get a 10R, as the 10-II has been monopolizing my ears for a while now. I just wish I could do something about the headband sliders; the plastic pieces are starting to crack. Has this happened to your pair? It appears to be a design flaw.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #182 of 272
Now I really want to get a 10R, as the 10-II has been monopolizing my ears for a while now. I just wish I could do something about the headband sliders; the plastic pieces are starting to crack. Has this happened to your pair? It appears to be a design flaw.

Mine never had any issues while I had them except for the foam inserts disintegrating

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #183 of 272
Mine never had any issues while I had them except for the foam inserts disintegrating

Note: I'm talking about the black half that's to the inside of the headband, not the chromed half. The thin piece that says "Made in Japan" on it. Probably not noticeable unless you look for it.

And yeah, my foam inserts are gone too, which struck me as odd. The foam inserts from my original monitor 10 (13 years older) are not only intact but are still soft and clean, and have survived several migrations between the 10-I and 10-IIs cups as well as several weeks' worth of ear time on my part. 

Does the 10R have foam inserts too?

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #184 of 272
  Note: I'm talking about the black half that's to the inside of the headband, not the chromed half. The thin piece that says "Made in Japan" on it. Probably not noticeable unless you look for it.

And yeah, my foam inserts are gone too, which struck me as odd. The foam inserts from my original monitor 10 (13 years older) are not only intact but are still soft and clean, and have survived several migrations between the 10-I and 10-IIs cups as well as several weeks' worth of ear time on my part. 

Does the 10R have foam inserts too?

yes, disintegrated as well as the monitor 8's. Seems to be a pioneer affliction

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #185 of 272

yes, disintegrated as well as the monitor 8's. Seems to be a pioneer affliction

I'm really excited to see some pictures of the Monitor 8, the Monitor 7 is really pretty and I've never seen the 8 in any catalogs

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #187 of 272
Monitor 8 photos finally

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #188 of 272
Aug 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #189 of 272
I am prettt sure the 10r and 8 are early 2000's, not really "vintage"

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #190 of 272
I am prettt sure the 10r and 8 are early 2000's, not really "vintage"

They're from 1999 if I remember correctly, so yeah. Definitely not "vintage" by most peoples standard of the word.

But if you go by definitions, vintage just means it's something that's discontinued and made to a different (not necessarily better
tongue.gif
) standard of quality than modern examples, so even the recently discontinued Denon line would be considered vintage.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #191 of 272
I've got a little treat...

A Pioneer SE-11, Pioneer's second to the headphone throne in the late 70s and early 80s. It's sound signature is very similar to audio-technica's ATH-6 to 8 except a bit more neutral and they're one of the most detailed headphones I've ever heard though they present it in a way similar to a HD600 so it's not really obvious during a first listen. They also have quite possibly the strangest sound stage/imaging I've ever heard as well. It sounds like dual mono yet it's still stereo and quite large.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #192 of 272
You guys made me buy a pair of SE-505's off the bay to relive my youth. They should be here in a few days. If I remember correctly they were heavy as hell but sounded good. Still I haven't listened to a pair in many years (25ish ?). I'll post how they sound after they arrive.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #193 of 272
  I've got a little treat...

A Pioneer SE-11, Pioneer's second to the headphone throne in the late 70s and early 80s. It's sound signature is very similar to audio-technica's ATH-6 to 8 except a bit more neutral and they're one of the most detailed headphones I've ever heard though they present it in a way similar to a HD600 so it's not really obvious during a first listen. They also have quite possibly the strangest sound stage/imaging I've ever heard as well. It sounds like dual mono yet it's still stereo and quite large.

I didn't think these even EXISTED, holy crap

Pioneer had two independant headphone lines, one was their "listening" gear and one was their monitoring gear, the SE-450/550/650, Monitor 7, 10, 10-II etc are all monitors while the SE-X line is aimed at consumer audiophiles

all I can say is that I hated the SE-6, it was overly warm and diffused and sounded extremely un-detailed

all of these traits apply to the HD600 as well IMO so I probably wont like these or the Master-1/SE-M10 either

but damn that sucker is pretty and I've never seen an actual photo of one before

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #194 of 272
  I didn't think these even EXISTED, holy crap

Pioneer had two independant headphone lines, one was their "listening" gear and one was their monitoring gear, the SE-450/550/650, Monitor 7, 10, 10-II etc are all monitors while the SE-X line is aimed at consumer audiophiles

all I can say is that I hated the SE-6, it was overly warm and diffused and sounded extremely un-detailed

all of these traits apply to the HD600 as well IMO so I probably wont like these or the Master-1/SE-M10 either

but damn that sucker is pretty and I've never seen an actual photo of one before

If I recall the higher end SE-X, those with the so-called variable chamber were only available in Japan compared that to the lower end SE-X and professional line which were exported. 

I also found some information suggesting the SE-6 to be the combination of parts from a SE-4 and SE-11 and a driver from the SE-7. Interestingly enough the SE-6 was an export only model and was not found in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back