Vintage Pioneer thread
Sep 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #212 of 272
  Toshiba HR-910 electret headphone (NOS)

PIONEER MASTER-1S(NOS)!

ufukinwotm8

No seriously, holy crap. Where the HELL did you find those??

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #213 of 272
Hi Takato,

I won the Ebay auction of NOS ATH-7 from a seller from Spain, while we are chatting about classic headphone(thanks google translate) and he just ask me if I was interested at more vintage collection which are NOS like MONITOR 10 and more(which I already own 2 pair already, one in good condition one is drivers changed/highly modified).So I ask him to pass me a list of headphones he want to part with and Wola! So I took some of the rarest models I want from the list. What a find!!
beerchug.gif

As I am writing this, the Master 1s is on my ear:) I can't wait to test it and I left two more box unopened! (Toshiba HR910& AT Ath7) The first impression of 1S sound remind me my HD650!? Holy moly I need more time to review this rare gem....stay tune!

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #214 of 272

NOS, stored for 30+ years...

After 35 years ear pad failed even unused

Size compare to STAX SR-40, smaller overall.

Gold plated plug with a lots of metal part, still light weight though.

PIONEER SUPER-FI CORD

VARIABLE CHAMBER design really bring out the bass even with no ear pad.

Bought 3 pairs of ear pad for replacement, the 63mm pleather and 60mm velvet pad sound best.

63mm pleather pad fits on perfectly.

The sound of master 1s is trully great for its size, especially the lower end. As you can see the NOS arrived with deteriorated ear pad and it still sound good with lot of bass extension. Even after removed the pad I listen with no pad at all still sound amazing to me. I think the Variable chamber design really bring out the full spectrum of sound.

The lower end can go as low as 10 hz and as high as 16k hz which was tested with my ear (I am 42 so it might limited my hearing up to 16k). The sound stage is great and image is solid. You can hear every detail, such as a well drived Akg k240DF with more body plus the bass from Sennheiser HD650. The head phone can easily beat any modern on-ear headphone under $200 and over-ear headphone under $150 IMHO. The vocal is just right, not too forward neither setback. The mids is what I like the most, uncolored yet very lively.

Comfortable is excellent due to lightweight and open sound design. I have the headphone on my head 4 hour straight when I first got it and I just can't take it off, it make you want to try every music you love to see what it can bring to you.

I highly recommend this little gem if you are a vintage gear collector. Grab it if you see one!  

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #216 of 272
  Just win the auction and Monitor 10 ll is on the way.
Now my vintage Pioneer HP collection is nearing completion!

Be careful. Your first impression of the 10-II might not be positive, but keep listening to it; it's something you have to get used to.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #217 of 272
  Be careful. Your first impression of the 10-II might not be positive, but keep listening to it; it's something you have to get used to.

Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind. I did read your post (actually almost every your pioneer post especially mod related)
I hope my monitor 10 ll dont have cracks build up on the plastic part you mentioned earlier. finger crossed.....

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #218 of 272

Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind. I did read your post (actually almost every your pioneer post especially mod related)
I hope my monitor 10 ll dont have cracks build up on the plastic part you mentioned earlier. finger crossed.....

Got them yet?

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #219 of 272
I also have a pioneer se m10. Compare with my other modern on ear headphones, beyer dt1350 and sennheiser hd25, it wins with no issue. Compare with my newer pioneer monitor headphone, monitor 10r, their sound signature is similar but 10r sound more details and better separation and m10 is better sound stage and refined. I realy want to get the top model of master series, the master 1G. Anyone get it?

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #220 of 272
I also have a pioneer se m10. Compare with my other modern on ear headphones, beyer dt1350 and sennheiser hd25, it wins with no issue. Compare with my newer pioneer monitor headphone, monitor 10r, their sound signature is similar but 10r sound more details and better separation and m10 is better sound stage and refined. I realy want to get the top model of master series, the master 1G. Anyone get it?

The Master-1G and Master-1S are the same headphone. The Master-1S is the North American version/name for the SE-M10.

A Master 1S showed up on eBay, new in box, some few months ago. I haven't seen one since. The Master-1G is unobtainium.

Personally, what I REALLY want to find is the SE-1000 electrostat, but it's so rare that I don't know if it was ever actually produced.

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #221 of 272
The Master-1G and Master-1S are the same headphone. The Master-1S is the North American version/name for the SE-M10.

A Master 1S showed up on eBay, new in box, some few months ago. I haven't seen one since. The Master-1G is unobtainium.

Personally, what I REALLY want to find is the SE-1000 electrostat, but it's so rare that I don't know if it was ever actually produced.

I have ask a owner of both 1S and 1G. He told me they perform the same but sound signature . 1S is more clear and accurate and 1G is more warm and refined sound. Anyway I can't confirm until I get 1G. 1S is still available in taobao.

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #223 of 272
  Anyone knows: it is possible 
connected Pioneer SE-505 directly to speaker amp output? 

It is, but why would you? Anything more than 1 watt or so would blow them out

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #225 of 272
  It seems to me, my DIY headamp gives them not enough power.

Or they're just not as good as you were hoping. The 505 wasn't very good to my ears.

The Monitor 10 is the only vintage pioneer I'd say is worth trying. Well, excluding the unobtainable ones of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back