Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #826 of 1,486
I think verum is tonally just right even straight out of the box. What most impresses me is the diffuse speaker like imaging/soundstage.

My question to @Garuspik is: when will you be making a verum 2? Do you think you can keep a bargain price?

On a quick listen verum 1 leaves me wanting in overall resolution. Sound is quite mid-fi lacking some sharpest edges, perhaps bit slow sounding for a planar. Bass is kind of fluffy too.

Not saying it's a bad headphone. On the contrary. However with this superbly speaker like presentation I just keep thinking: "this is all I ever wanted I just need it faster, tighter and "blacker".

I think garuspik has achieved something exceptional here. Lcd-3, ananda or AFO don't come close regarding the realism of imaging/soundstage. Verum is more like hd800 on that regard. Soundstage is not as big, but the sound is everywhere instead of just blobs of sounds placed here and there.

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #827 of 1,486
I sold my Verum as I can't let go of my Hifiman cans but I'll be supporting whatever next level project comes out.
I love projects like this that not only deliver a successful product but also come with a developer who pours all his heart and love into it and delivers on time and most of all: on the sound.

Curious to see what Garuspik can build with double the price. How about tackling the HE-6. :grimacing:

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #828 of 1,486
...oha, what nice cans arrived today! Used but like new boobingas :)
they play extraordinary well on jds labs atom low gain to painful area past 13:30
simply <<wow>> .. big head cinema. xD to verum.. well done!

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #829 of 1,486
I sold my Verum as I can't let go of my Hifiman cans but I'll be supporting whatever next level project comes out.
I love projects like this that not only deliver a successful product but also come with a developer who pours all his heart and love into it and delivers on time and most of all: on the sound.

Curious to see what Garuspik can build with double the price. How about tackling the HE-6. :grimacing:

If you own the He-6, an excellent amplifier that will put out 30+ Watts RMS into 50 Ohms and a DAC as good or better than the
RME ADI2 DAC then your question is good no need to read any further, but if you don't and you are just wondering the following
statements of mine may help. (All statements are not facts they are opinions -- said Marcus Aurelius. Or even intentional or unintentional lies).

I own the He-6 which originally was selling for 1000+ dollars
and now it has been re-issued and sells on e-bay for much more
take a look here...
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=he+6

@cskippy and his friends sold their beloved LFF moded He-6.

I drove the He-6 with the ifi Micro DSD (1Watt into 50Ohms), the RME ADI2 DAC (2 Watt into 50 Ohms),
and the RME ADI2 DAC + Crown XTI 2 1002 (35 Watt into 50 Ohms)
The XTI 2 1002 is the equivalent of the XLS 1502 with a dumping factor of 200 much higher than the usual high end 50
and it is rated all the way down to 2 Ohms.

Only with the third system the He-6 becomes worthwhile and even then most of my friends and colleagues
(University Music Professors, National Piano and guitar Virtuosos and mix and mastering professionals) prefer the Verum 1.

However the He-6 is highly romantic and highly "Rhythm and Harmony" revealing but with less body and punch.
The Verum is full body, huge punch, not as highly romantic as the He-6 but quite adequately romantic and fully "Rhythm and Harmony"
revealing.

Now for a definition and an explanation of the meaning of "Romantic", "Rhythm and Harmony revealing" ,"body" and "punch"
in the context of my statement above, please watch Daniel Barenboim's 7 video clips series called Deconstructed on YouTube.
No matter what your preferences are it will make you enjoy the music better even with ear buds and your smart phone.

Here are the clips in the order most easier to follow with subtitles in most languages.
If you do not know what chords are - like I did - watch this

Music Vocab 1: Notes, Chords, Scales and Modes

Rhythm & Melody, Rhythm & Harmony - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]
Sound - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]
Music & Conversation - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]

Courage in Music - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]
On working with Pierre Boulez... - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]
Deconstructing Pierre Boulez' musical Approach | Daniel Barenboim - Deconstructed [subtitulado]

Evolving Music into Atonality | Daniel Barenboim - Deconstructed [subtitulado]

Enjoy and good luck to all of you.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #830 of 1,486
There is absolutely no comparison it is at least two steps below.
What matters is that you need 0 constant impedance across the entire audio spectrum
while music is playing.
The only one that has this (0.1) from 7 Hz to 80KHz when in full orthodynamic load
is the RME. If the specs the others give were true their amps would instantly destroy your
ears
Nobody gives spec under real life conditions they all cook the specs
to look good, except RME read their manual don't waist your time and money.
The nice DSP features are the icing on the cake.

Well I see you are exited about the RME but claiming it two steps above the jds labs atom soundwise you are leaning yourself too far out of the window :wink:
just take a look at the specs. here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/
both are messured in deep with outstanding results
so I would argue for no reason you cannot keep them apart in a blind test

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #831 of 1,486
Well I see you are exited about the RME but claiming it two steps above the jds labs atom soundwise you are leaning yourself too far out of the window :wink:
just take a look at the specs. here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/
both are messured in deep with outstanding results
so I would argue for no reason you cannot keep them apart in a blind test

Opinions, Opinions, Opinions
Mine, theirs (salesmen) on part of a device that is supposedly "similar" to mine, yours based on theirs...
It is natural for people to stand on to their opinions, more so the younger they are...

50 years experience as an audiophile half of them owning Summit-fi systems,
PhD in Digital signal processing, 20 years experience in electronic designing
10 years in R&D and guiding post graduate students
Currently Coaching Audio Engineering Research in the University in
a fully equipped lab with access to most pro and high end products
working pro-bona

It is your right to follow free advise from reviewers that are not paid by you.
it takes a lot more than measurements. Enjoy this video!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #832 of 1,486
.. opinions true (..) youre welcome golden ear

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #833 of 1,486
" If you own the He-6, an excellent amplifier that will put out 30+ Watts RMS into 50 Ohms and a DAC as good or better than the
RME ADI2 DAC then your question is good no need to read any further, but if you don't and you are just wondering the following
statements of mine may help. (All statements are not facts they are opinions -- said Marcus Aurelius. Or even intentional or unintentional lies).

take a look here...

@cskippy and his friends sold their beloved LFF moded He-6. "

----------------------------------------------

If I may .... Yes. Opinions are opinions. Everyone has them and is entitled to them, no matter how much qualification we feel we have to divulge to convince others just how damn RIGHT our own is. As well ... facts are facts. With all the experience claimed, you have forgotten (?) to hit the 'Sold/Expired' tab on the list of HE-6 for sale (see above link). Yes ... many are 'asking' for "much more than 1,000 dollars +" for the HE-6, but clicking on the Sold/Expired tab reveals that only three of these have actually managed to sell, and none for "much more than 1.000 dollars + ". Actually, the one in Czech Republic sold for the equivalent of 820 USD, one in Japan for the equivalent of 1,100 USD (and we all know the Japanese will overpay for just about anything :) ), and one in Russia, for 1,225 USD. Apparently Russia is kicking the Japanaese off and taking over that damn bandwagon :) There is another, still for sale in the UK, of an early model, for 995 sterling. I'm not taking anything away from the HE-6, and I'm not looking to pick a fight here, not in the least, but just thought I'd qualify your point for you. Have a good one ...

Aug 12, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #834 of 1,486
@kintsaki if you evaluate the jds labs atom two steps below the rme .. with all the respect to your profession and remarkable career datas you throw here on the table contradicts my my moderate experience of these two amps substantially. As even not an advice to take a look at audioresearch datas to communicate with reliable facts to stay resonable more scientific you enter the terrain of perception. "..it takes a lot more than mesurements" haha, beware there is a bit more context as always. And yes Steve Guttenberg is a special one in the scene and I like his writings and blogs and what I love most of him he is not taking himself too serious and he could laugh about himself at times.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #835 of 1,486
If you own the He-6, an excellent amplifier that will put out 30+ Watts RMS into 50 Ohms and a DAC as good or better than the

take a look here...

@cskippy and his friends sold their beloved LFF moded He-6.

I drove the He-6 with the ifi Micro DSD (1Watt into 50Ohms), the RME ADI2 DAC (2 Watt into 50 Ohms),
and the RME ADI2 DAC + Crown XTI 2 1002 (35 Watt into 50 Ohms)
The XTI 2 1002 is the equivalent of the XLS 1502 with a dumping factor of 200 much higher than the usual high end 50
and it is rated all the way down to 2 Ohms.

Only with the third system the He-6 becomes worthwhile and even then most of my friends and colleagues
(University Music Professors, National Piano and guitar Virtuosos and mix and mastering professionals) prefer the Verum 1.

However the He-6 is highly romantic and highly "Rhythm and Harmony" revealing but with less body and punch.
The Verum is full body, huge punch, not as highly romantic as the He-6 but quite adequately romantic and fully "Rhythm and Harmony"
revealing.

Now for a definition and an explanation of the meaning of "Romantic", "Rhythm and Harmony revealing" ,"body" and "punch"
in the context of my statement above, please watch Daniel Barenboim's 7 video clips series called Deconstructed on YouTube.
No matter what your preferences are it will make you enjoy the music better even with ear buds and your smart phone.

Here are the clips in the order most easier to follow with subtitles in most languages.
If you do not know what chords are - like I did - watch this

Music Vocab 1: Notes, Chords, Scales and Modes

Rhythm & Melody, Rhythm & Harmony - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]
Sound - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]
Music & Conversation - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]

Courage in Music - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]
On working with Pierre Boulez... - Daniel Barenboim | Deconstructed [subtitulado]
Deconstructing Pierre Boulez' musical Approach | Daniel Barenboim - Deconstructed [subtitulado]

Evolving Music into Atonality | Daniel Barenboim - Deconstructed [subtitulado]

Enjoy and good luck to all of you.

Accirding to the RME Website it puts out 1.5 watts .. Where is this 30watts at 50ohms??
thx

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #836 of 1,486
@kelvinssy I don't believe he's saying the RME puts out 30watts at 50Ohms. He said if you have an amp that meets those specs and a DAC equivalent to the RME in quality you are good to go. If you read it again carefully I believe you will agree.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #838 of 1,486
" If you own the He-6, an excellent amplifier that will put out 30+ Watts RMS into 50 Ohms and a DAC as good or better than the

take a look here...

@cskippy and his friends sold their beloved LFF moded He-6. "

----------------------------------------------

If I may .... Yes. Opinions are opinions. Everyone has them and is entitled to them, no matter how much qualification we feel we have to divulge to convince others just how damn RIGHT our own is. As well ... facts are facts. With all the experience claimed, you have forgotten (?) to hit the 'Sold/Expired' tab on the list of HE-6 for sale (see above link). Yes ... many are 'asking' for "much more than 1,000 dollars +" for the HE-6, but clicking on the Sold/Expired tab reveals that only three of these have actually managed to sell, and none for "much more than 1.000 dollars + ". Actually, the one in Czech Republic sold for the equivalent of 820 USD, one in Japan for the equivalent of 1,100 USD (and we all know the Japanese will overpay for just about anything :) ), and one in Russia, for 1,225 USD. Apparently Russia is kicking the Japanaese off and taking over that damn bandwagon :) There is another, still for sale in the UK, of an early model, for 995 sterling. I'm not taking anything away from the HE-6, and I'm not looking to pick a fight here, not in the least, but just thought I'd qualify your point for you. Have a good one ...

you are right the statement "much more than 1,000 dollars +" is bad English winch is not my native language.
so my statement which is an opinion becomes an unintentional lie.

"more than 1000+" would be more correct, but still an opinion because it does not take into account how the Japanese or the Russians behave.

I am wondering did you watch the videos linked? and did you enjoy them?

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #839 of 1,486
Accirding to the RME Website it puts out 1.5 watts .. Where is this 30watts at 50ohms??
thx

I'm a little confused on this note too, the text says "RME ADI2 DAC + Crown XTI 2 1002 (35 Watt into 50 Ohms)" but the Crown XTI 2 1002 is a speaker amp and has no headphone output. I admit my newness to all this but i'm a little confused on how this connects.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #840 of 1,486
30watts at 50Ohms ??? :D It'll be monstrous speaker amp.

Exactly,
@kelvinssy I don't believe he's saying the RME puts out 30watts at 50Ohms. He said if you have an amp that meets those specs and a DAC equivalent to the RME in quality you are good to go. If you read it again carefully I believe you will agree.

I said I drove it with 3 different systems: ifi 1W, RME 2 Watt and RME + XTI 2 3o Watts.

the 30 Watts comes out of the XTI 2 1002 balanced power amp
which is connected to the RME balanced line out

there are 4 models in the XTI 2 line
1002, 2002, 4002, 6002
the 1002 is the list powerful and the 6002 the most powerful

the 1002 is rated at :
both channels driven (stereo) :
700W per channel into 2 Ohms,
500W per channel into 4 Ohms, and 1000 in bridged mode
275W per channel into 8 Ohms and 700 in bridged mode

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/brochures/crown-xti2-series-datasheet-brochure.pdf

extrapolating these specs for the 1002 to 50 Ohms
we get 275*8/50=44

The Fostex RP is rated at 3 Watts with Zack of ZMF saying it may even go to 10W
The He-6 has a 10db lower sensitivity thus requiring 10 times the power than the fostex does which brings to 3*10=30W

The Verum with a 96 db sensitivity will sound spectacular even with 1 Watt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back