Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #482 of 1,486
Just to clarify, as a suggestion for accessory - I am after a case or fitted box for storing the headphones at home. Not for carrying them in my backpack :wink:
I will probably look at those Pelican cases to see if any of them fit (and does not cost more than the Verums...)

Do you live in the USA? If you do Harbor Freight has Apache brand cases in several sizes. They are good quality (I have a small one for a PS4 controller) and are way cheaper than Pelican ones, especially if you snag them on sale.

May 7, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #484 of 1,486
So, what do you do? Do you cut the inside foam to the size of the headphones?
It's pick n' pull foam (consisting of 7/8 inch cubes). So it's just a matter of pulling out foam cubes until it fits the headphones.

May 7, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #485 of 1,486
So, what do you do? Do you cut the inside foam to the size of the headphones?

The case comes with 3 layers of foam made up of precut perforated-like foam rectangular prisms which can be torn from the bulk to fit whatever you are storing. The case is good quality. I made a carrying case for my Elex and i had plenty of room for my headphones, 2 sets of cables and an m9XX amp/dac and cabling.

May 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #488 of 1,486
I haven't tried the Verums with the Magni 3 nor any of the headphones you listed, however I have tried the Verums with my Magni 2 Uber. The Magni 3 is from what I've read, slightly better than the 2U, not sure how much better but better nonetheless.
I must say, the Verums sounds great. I have no regrets about them, I have some minor issues like the long setup process of moving the screws around, customising the fit and the DIY build style but these are minor issues.
I don't mind listening to them on my phone (Lightning dongle) either, although at a lower volume and without the system EQ I use on the desktop. They sound fine on lesser sources IMO, even on my cheepo bluetooth receiver it sounds good. I wouldn't use them with a tube amp or otherwise high output impedance amplifier though since they're only rated at 8 Ohms.
I do however have an issue with my supplied wire (loose connector) so any impressions of mine should be taken with a grain of salt. I have a Periapt XLR cable and another standard SE cable on the way. As well as an THX AAA 789 that should be shipping late next week, fingers crossed:fingers_crossed::grimacing:. I should be able to confirm these impressions by the time either of the wires arrive at the very least. (Hej förresten:upside_down::flag_se: TRANSLATION: Hi btw)
Hej, tack för svaret :) (translation: Hi, thanks for the answer). I have decided to order a pair on pay day. Should be a step up from what I’ve got now :)

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #490 of 1,486
Hi, has anyone tried these with magni 3?

Works fine here. Not as nice as the more expensive amps (Lyr 3 etc.) but still very listenable.

Verum is not so efficient that a phone will drive them properly. It takes about the same volume level on my solid-state amp as the 300 ohm Sennheisers. In other words, just because it's around 8 ohms doesn't mean it's easy to drive. The thing about easily driven by an iphone is a misinformation.

Another issue I was facing was couple of tube amps I tried it with failed to drive both channels properly. I had instances of only one channel functioning. So this low impedance doesn't seem to be tube amp friendly.

Indeed, lower impedance requires more power, not less. I think the whole thing has been confused over the years. The problem way back before the planar headphone resurgence was lack of voltage swing for high impedance headphones. That might be what caused it.

Your channel issue is weird. That is probably a bad connection. If a tube amp failed that badly, you'd be either replacing a tube or sending it back for repair. OTL tube amps will generally sound weak, flat and completely lacking in dynamics if you try and use them with planar headphones. Transformer coupled and hybrid amps are usually OK though.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #492 of 1,486
After over a 3 months delay, exacerbated by the fact that they shipped while I was away in Japan, I finally got back and managed to get my hands on my Verum 1, over 5 months after they were supposed to arrive (in January, according to the kickstarter campaign).

That said, delay aside, I like the build, although the fact that you need to unscrew the sides to ajust the headband is somewhat cumbersome, I also believe these should ship with a balanced cable, these are yet another pair of headphones for which I threw the stock cable aside as soon as I got them and started using a 4.4mm balanced cable on (the same one I used on my HE-4XX, but I digress), they are the heaviest pair of headphones I own, and I own a lot, from crappy bose headphones all the way to Stax Electrostatics, unfortunately weight is the bane of all planar magnetic headphones, so I am not too surprised about this, even though they weight more (but not much more) than my other planars (HE-4XX included).

Are they comfortable though? I wouldn't quite say so if I compare them to most other headphones I own, but they are not uncomfortable either, it is just that, given a choice, I much rather have my MDR-Z1R (or even the HE-4XX) on my head, then again, if I compare those to my Stax SR-L300, the Verum 1 wins in term of comfort (but the SR-L300 totally burries the Verum 1 in term of sound quality when coupled with a proper Energizer), how do they sound then?

Let's be fair here, they sound amazing and have a distinct planar magnetic sound, they sound noticeably better than the HE-4XX, and those are very good sounding headphones, for $350 that's a steal and those are definitely keepers.

Keep in mind however that those are actually hard to drive you will need a good amp for these with a decent output (I would say 150mW@32ohms at a minimum for those to scale properly), then again, if you don't have a good amp, you should go buy one ASAP, even before throwing your money on headphones.
Do they sound better than the MDR-Z1R or entry level Stax Ear Speakers? Not by a long shot, but then again, the price range and the technology aren't the same so you can't really blame the Verum 1 for that.

These will make a good pair of headphones I will enjoy listening to when I need that planar magnetic sound, those will probably not be my go to headphones however. Keep in mind though that I haven't have spent much time burning those in, if burning in period there is.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #493 of 1,486
I might be in the minority but Verum 1 is one of the best pairs of headphones I've owned or heard, and I've owned many of the ToTL headphones. The fact that it cost what it does is staggering. It's overall balance is just fantastic. I can't think of another headphone that reaches as low into the bass and yet retains a present midrange and smooth but airy treble. Take note, I haven't tried production pads but I gave @Garuspik information on the pads I chose for my Verum when testing the prototype.

I would love to try the stock pads to see if my comments still hold true.

May 10, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #494 of 1,486
I might be in the minority but Verum 1 is one of the best pairs of headphones I've owned or heard, and I've owned many of the ToTL headphones. The fact that it cost what it does is staggering. It's overall balance is just fantastic. I can't think of another headphone that reaches as low into the bass and yet retains a present midrange and smooth but airy treble. Take note, I haven't tried production pads but I gave @Garuspik information on the pads I chose for my Verum when testing the prototype.

I would love to try the stock pads to see if my comments still hold true.

The stock pads, which I currently use, are a bit too stiff to be quite in my comfort zone. I like the magnetic concept though.

May 10, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #495 of 1,486
For years I've considered the HD650 the king of vocals, better than the Utopia, LCD-4, Aeolus. Today I made a statement to a friend that the Verum, offers a more lush, full bodied as seductive quality to vocals that I feel are superior to the HD650.

Am I actually crazy for suggesting this. I do feel the HD650's mid to treble transition is more effortless and smoother than anything but when it comes to the human voice, I feel the Verum is the first planar to bring that planar smoothness the LCD-2C has with more presence in the upper mids to provide the best of both worlds.

I do feel the HD650 on a good rig is something special but the upper mid shout and more grainy presentation make me reach for the Verum more.

Thanks Cskippy for the measurements and feedback, you're a big help in the audio community across all forums!

The main issue with the HD650 is that while they do bring forth the vocals, it's at the detriment of everything else and the background takes a hit and ends up muffle sounding (when compared to other headphones), while this makes the HD650 (and HD660s) great for vocals, they aren't what I would call clean sounding headphones and they are the entire opposite than what I would call analytic headphones. The Verum 1 do not "suffer" from these characteristics at all, of course this also means the vocals presence isn't as pronounced as on the HD650.

Overall, I consider the Verum 1 to be a much better sounding pair of headphones than the Sennheiser HD650, HD660S and HD58X, then again musical tastes are a matter of preference. I am personally not a fan of the Sennheiser "veil" even though I have grown to appreciate its qualities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back