1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by cskippy, Aug 22, 2018.
First

Back
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
Next

Last
  1. Th3Drizzl3
    maybe a medium or large size camera case would work. like one of the monoprice ones would work

Zachik likes this.
  2. theangelboy
    Do you live in the USA? If you do Harbor Freight has Apache brand cases in several sizes. They are good quality (I have a small one for a PS4 controller) and are way cheaper than Pelican ones, especially if you snag them on sale.

trellus and Zachik like this.
  3. yavormoskov
    So, what do you do? Do you cut the inside foam to the size of the headphones?

4. theangelboy
    It's pick n' pull foam (consisting of 7/8 inch cubes). So it's just a matter of pulling out foam cubes until it fits the headphones.

trellus and yavormoskov like this.
  5. CoFire
    The case comes with 3 layers of foam made up of precut perforated-like foam rectangular prisms which can be torn from the bulk to fit whatever you are storing. The case is good quality. I made a carrying case for my Elex and i had plenty of room for my headphones, 2 sets of cables and an m9XX amp/dac and cabling.

trellus and yavormoskov like this.
  6. yavormoskov
    Thank you, guys. I never knew Harbor Freight is such an audiophile friendly place :gs1000smile:. But seriously......as soon as my Verums arrive will buy one case.

7. allaces305
    Wow that Apache Case looks like the perfect solution at a great price... Thank you Soo much for posting this amazing product.

theangelboy likes this.
  8. Windigo
    Hej, tack för svaret :) (translation: Hi, thanks for the answer). I have decided to order a pair on pay day. Should be a step up from what I’ve got now :)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  9. magor34
    Nice. Power shouldn't be a problem with the Magni 3 and you can always upgrade the DAC and/or AMP along the way:upside_down:.

10. Currawong Contributor
    Works fine here. Not as nice as the more expensive amps (Lyr 3 etc.) but still very listenable.

Indeed, lower impedance requires more power, not less. I think the whole thing has been confused over the years. The problem way back before the planar headphone resurgence was lack of voltage swing for high impedance headphones. That might be what caused it.

Your channel issue is weird. That is probably a bad connection. If a tube amp failed that badly, you'd be either replacing a tube or sending it back for repair. OTL tube amps will generally sound weak, flat and completely lacking in dynamics if you try and use them with planar headphones. Transformer coupled and hybrid amps are usually OK though.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  11. Garuspik
    I've encountered situation when one of the channels on tube amp was silent cause power supply delivered almost zero power to it during work on low Z load. Such thing solved situation Impedance jack

trellus likes this.
  12. Mathieulh
    After over a 3 months delay, exacerbated by the fact that they shipped while I was away in Japan, I finally got back and managed to get my hands on my Verum 1, over 5 months after they were supposed to arrive (in January, according to the kickstarter campaign).

That said, delay aside, I like the build, although the fact that you need to unscrew the sides to ajust the headband is somewhat cumbersome, I also believe these should ship with a balanced cable, these are yet another pair of headphones for which I threw the stock cable aside as soon as I got them and started using a 4.4mm balanced cable on (the same one I used on my HE-4XX, but I digress), they are the heaviest pair of headphones I own, and I own a lot, from crappy bose headphones all the way to Stax Electrostatics, unfortunately weight is the bane of all planar magnetic headphones, so I am not too surprised about this, even though they weight more (but not much more) than my other planars (HE-4XX included).

Are they comfortable though? I wouldn't quite say so if I compare them to most other headphones I own, but they are not uncomfortable either, it is just that, given a choice, I much rather have my MDR-Z1R (or even the HE-4XX) on my head, then again, if I compare those to my Stax SR-L300, the Verum 1 wins in term of comfort (but the SR-L300 totally burries the Verum 1 in term of sound quality when coupled with a proper Energizer), how do they sound then?

Let's be fair here, they sound amazing and have a distinct planar magnetic sound, they sound noticeably better than the HE-4XX, and those are very good sounding headphones, for $350 that's a steal and those are definitely keepers.

Keep in mind however that those are actually hard to drive you will need a good amp for these with a decent output (I would say 150mW@32ohms at a minimum for those to scale properly), then again, if you don't have a good amp, you should go buy one ASAP, even before throwing your money on headphones.
    Do they sound better than the MDR-Z1R or entry level Stax Ear Speakers? Not by a long shot, but then again, the price range and the technology aren't the same so you can't really blame the Verum 1 for that.

These will make a good pair of headphones I will enjoy listening to when I need that planar magnetic sound, those will probably not be my go to headphones however. Keep in mind though that I haven't have spent much time burning those in, if burning in period there is.

trellus and Currawong like this.
  13. cskippy
    I might be in the minority but Verum 1 is one of the best pairs of headphones I've owned or heard, and I've owned many of the ToTL headphones. The fact that it cost what it does is staggering. It's overall balance is just fantastic. I can't think of another headphone that reaches as low into the bass and yet retains a present midrange and smooth but airy treble. Take note, I haven't tried production pads but I gave @Garuspik information on the pads I chose for my Verum when testing the prototype.

I would love to try the stock pads to see if my comments still hold true.

Phantaminum and kintsaki like this.
  14. Mathieulh
    The stock pads, which I currently use, are a bit too stiff to be quite in my comfort zone. I like the magnetic concept though.

15. Mathieulh
    The main issue with the HD650 is that while they do bring forth the vocals, it's at the detriment of everything else and the background takes a hit and ends up muffle sounding (when compared to other headphones), while this makes the HD650 (and HD660s) great for vocals, they aren't what I would call clean sounding headphones and they are the entire opposite than what I would call analytic headphones. The Verum 1 do not "suffer" from these characteristics at all, of course this also means the vocals presence isn't as pronounced as on the HD650.

Overall, I consider the Verum 1 to be a much better sounding pair of headphones than the Sennheiser HD650, HD660S and HD58X, then again musical tastes are a matter of preference. I am personally not a fan of the Sennheiser "veil" even though I have grown to appreciate its qualities.

First

Back
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
Next

Last