Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #226 of 1,486
@Garuspik - can you please post shipment status update?
You used to do it once every couple weeks or so, but been almost a month since last update (apologies if I missed it).

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #228 of 1,486
I am sold on the hype.
Hopefully, I didn't come out as a hype. Just simply sharing what I think is the best value sound.

From your impressions, the Verum may sound better than any headphone under $1500 including both dynamic and planar headphones.
It is my favorite planar. it is hard for me to compare with dynamics, as they both have different flavor. But the Verum is well-rounded enough that I don't really reach out to my other headphones at the moment.

I hate to say this, but I suspect a headphone produced in the U.S. is expensive because of high labor costs.
Average income per person in Ukraine is just about 1/20 compared to the U.S. Doing business there would be substantially cheaper for the production of a product of similar quality..
You're talking about the Abyss? Perhaps. No comment from me on that. What about hifiman?

In the end, there is always that subjectivity in audio. You may not like it, Franz. I happen to like it a lot. There is never a product that everyone likes.

Look at the pricing trend of this hobby. This is a $350 headphone including shipping. So, this is like the HD600 of planar. That's not much of a risk, if you ask me.

It doesn’t look comfortable at all. Would you describe it as comfortable? The adjustment straps look hard to maneuver as well. Am I wrong?
I have no issue with comfort or weight, mate. This is more comfortable than Audeze.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #229 of 1,486
Hopefully, I didn't come out as a hype. Just simply sharing what I think is the best value sound.

It is my favorite planar. it is hard for me to compare with dynamics, as they both have different flavor. But the Verum is well-rounded enough that I don't really reach out to my other headphones at the moment.

You're talking about the Abyss? Perhaps. No comment from me on that. What about hifiman?

In the end, there is always that subjectivity in audio. You may not like it, Franz. I happen to like it a lot. There is never a product that everyone likes.

But look at the pricing trend of this hobby. This is a $350 headphone including shipping. So, this is like the HD600 of planar. That's not much of a risk, if you ask me.

I have no issue with comfort or weight, mate. This is more comfortable than Audeze.

You’re absolutely right about the unbelievably low price, meaning there is not much risk to try them. If they sound as good as you describe them, then they’re absolutely a steal.

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #230 of 1,486
Apr 9, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #231 of 1,486

Great to hear that you enjoy them a lot. Really curious how they sound. In regards to planars vs dynamics, I don't really distinguish planars sounds from dynamics sounds. Planars from different companies didn't sound really similar to my ears. As you know, Audeze sounds manly while Hifiman sounds soft. Planars tend to have linear bass, but the Utopia is quite close, and some planars have weak sub-bass like some dynamics. Also, except hd6xx series, every dynamic or planar headphone seems to have a dip around 3-4k to some extent these days.

. What about hifiman?

Good point. Hifiman already has been beaten down to death, so I didn't mention it. Also, their headphones can be had at a good discount.
But these days, some other manufacturers seem to follow Hifiman's pricing scheme. And it is harder to get a discount for those manufacturers. As a result, street prices for Hifiman's headphones (except the Susvara) are actually lower than their corresponding competition.
And yes, $350 is not cheap at all. Bose QC35ii is priced at $350, but many people would run away as soon as they see the price tag..

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #232 of 1,486
And yes, $350 is not cheap at all. Bose QC35ii is priced at $350, but many people would run away as soon as they see the price tag..
Many people would, but none of them is an audiophile... :wink:

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #233 of 1,486
Great to hear that you enjoy them a lot. Really curious how they sound. In regards to planars vs dynamics, I don't really distinguish planars sounds from dynamics sounds. Planars from different companies didn't sound really similar to my ears. As you know, Audeze sounds manly while Hifiman sounds soft. Planars tend to have linear bass, but the Utopia is quite close, and some planars have weak sub-bass like some dynamics. Also, except hd6xx series, every dynamic or planar headphone seems to have a dip around 3-4k to some extent these days.
You're absolutely right.

But let me give an example. In terms of FR, HD800 is closer to HEKv2. And very different from LCD-2C. But both HEKv2 and the 2C are planar sound despite the big difference. Very different from HD800. I'm not talking about the FR. It is more of the sound character or timbre. Planars seems cleaner, tend to smooth things over, have less decay. They just sound different.

Regarding the bass, people say planar has less bass impact. This is true if they're talking about mid-bass impact, as they are flatter in the low FR. But their bass is in general has fuller, heftier and more solid character, compared to dynamics. Just EQ up the mid-bass of LCD-X and see what I mean. That is the planar bass impact that I'm talking about. Some planars do it better than other planars, of course. Maybe I should use a different word to distinguish it from mid-bass impact, which dynamics tend to have.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #235 of 1,486
Apr 10, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #237 of 1,486
You're absolutely right.

But let me give an example. In terms of FR, HD800 is closer to HEKv2. And very different from LCD-2C. But both HEKv2 and the 2C are planar sound despite the big difference. Very different from HD800. I'm not talking about the FR. It is more of the sound character or timbre. Planars seems cleaner, tend to smooth things over, have less decay. They just sound different.

Regarding the bass, people say planar has less bass impact. This is true if they're talking about mid-bass impact, as they are flatter in the low FR. But their bass is in general has fuller, heftier and more solid character, compared to dynamics. Just EQ up the mid-bass of LCD-X and see what I mean. That is the planar bass impact that I'm talking about. Some planars do it better than other planars, of course. Maybe I should use a different word to distinguish it from mid-bass impact, which dynamics tend to have.

Yes, you are right. I know what you mean. I thought Audeze and Hifiman also sound quite different even after I applied some EQ to them. It's been a while since I heard the HD800, so I almost forgot its sound. I heard that some people say the Verite sounds like planars and Ether 2 like dynamics. In my view, fine line between them is getting blurred, but I admit that I need to revisit dynamics at some point for proper evaluations.

Regarding the bass, I agree with you. I always suspected the bass impact of dynamics is due to their mid-bass bloom. The Utopia was an exception. Its bass was quite linear and very textured which I liked much. But some people would say that the Elear has more impactful bass than the Utopia.

From your impression, the Verum seems to have very good depth, which excites me.
I usually EQ my headphones to get every bit out of them, but I found staging/imaging falls off in some cases. I guess that may be because some headphones create 3-d imaging by giving them some colors (bumps/peaks/valleys here and there). Once EQed to fix tonal balances, imaging/staging tend to be flattened out with some.
But people are saying that the Verum does not need any EQ. If that comes with good imaging, I think that may be a great achievement.

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #238 of 1,486
From your impression, the Verum seems to have very good depth, which excites me.
I usually EQ my headphones to get every bit out of them, but I found staging/imaging falls off in some cases. I guess that may be because some headphones create 3-d imaging by giving them some colors (bumps/peaks/valleys here and there). Once EQed to fix tonal balances, imaging/staging tend to be flattened out with some.
But people are saying that the Verum does not need any EQ. If that comes with good imaging, I think that may be a great achievement.
Frans, do give that Yosi Horikawa track a try. The Verum surprised me there. It goes from left to right in a straight line. This is not an easy task. The 2C and all hifimans I tried fall flat on their face. Also notice the timbre of the chalk. Very realistic to my ears.

Also, the Verum is quite restricted on width, but really deep. Most headphones give width but fail on depth. Depends on your preference. I love it.

Anyway, Im just a guy who loves music. My preference is mine alone. Has your Verum arrived yet? Looking forward to your impressions, mate.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #239 of 1,486
I heard that some people say the Verite sounds like planars
Some dynamic drivers share both planar and dynamics characters, like the biocellulose. The TH900 is a great example of this. It has its own sweet mid, different from both dynamic and planar. Sounds clear like a planar, but not doesnt have the decay of dynamics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back