Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #241 of 1,486
Frans, do give that Yosi Horikawa track a try. The Verum surprised me there. It goes from left to right in a straight line. This is not an easy task. The 2C and all hifimans I tried fall flat on their face. Also notice the timbre of the chalk. Very realistic to my ears.

Also, the Verum is quite restricted on width, but really deep. Most headphones give width but fail on depth. Depends on your preference. I love it.

Anyway, Im just a guy who loves music. My preference is mine alone. Has your Verum arrived yet? Looking forward to your impressions, mate.
Can't wait to hear them. Width should be fine with me. I lived with afo and also have a hifiman. Also I value depth much more than width.
I think the verum will complement a hifiman well. I didn't have this issue with any other headphones, but this hifiman is too open. I mean I feel like I listen to music together with noise being generated from a refrigerator. Oh well..

My only issue at this point is the Verum is still 6 days away...:triportsad:

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #242 of 1,486
My only issue at this point is the Verum is still 6 days away...:triportsad:
At least you see the light end the end of the tunnel...

Apr 12, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #244 of 1,486
Well, if yours happen to ship tomorrow, you would receive it from Ukraine before I get mine, I guess...
I cannot wait for mine to ship.... These look really cool and different, and from what everybody reports back - sound great, too!

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #248 of 1,486
I was listening to the Verum 1 and compaing it with my other Hifiman headphone.

I really have to say that the Verum is really impressive and definitely punches far above the price point. It has to be compared with headphones above 1k.

However, I have one important issue. My pair has an uncomfortable large peak around 10k. My Hifiman headphone also has a bit accentuated FRs around 10k, but my Verum has even more accentuated FRs around 10k.
So I just have to use EQ, -5db/10000k/5.5Q to avoid uncomfortable peaks around 10k.

Looking at a few measurements available in the other communities, Hands' measurements show the Verum has 10k peaks, while purrin's measurements do not show such incisive peaks. And what I hear now is consistent with Hands' measurements, which are showing a 10k peak. I am not sure whether my unit is faulty or it is sort of product variations or just normal.

Is there anyone who has the same issue?

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #249 of 1,486

I really have to say that the Verum is really impressive and definitely punches far above the price point. It has to be compared with headphones above 1k.

However, I have one important issue. My pair has an uncomfortable large peak around 10k. My Hifiman headphone also has a bit accentuated FRs around 10k, but my Verum has even more accentuated FRs around 10k.
So I just have to use EQ, -5db/10000k/5.5Q to avoid uncomfortable peaks around 10k.

Looking at a few measurements available in the other communities, Hands' measurements show the Verum has 10k peaks, while purrin's measurements do not show such incisive peaks. And what I hear now is consistent with Hands' measurements, which are showing a 10k peak. I am not sure whether my unit is faulty or it is sort of product variations or just normal.

How does that 10k translate to sound? Does it sound harsh/fatiguing?

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #250 of 1,486
How does that 10k translate to sound? Does it sound harsh/fatiguing?

You can test yourself whether that bothers you. I think it depends on your ear canal.

For example, play "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me) by Whitney Houston." On 1:17 and 1:26, there are sudden rises around 10khz. If your headphone has a peak around 10khz, you will certainly hear shiiii--bbeee sounds. That song also has several places where you can hear those peaks.

If you have DMG equilibrium or any other frequency analyzers, you can also run them to see which frequencies those peaks come from.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #252 of 1,486

You have to EQ it down 5 db’s? That’s killing my interest in these. That’s a big EQ for one frequency band.

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #253 of 1,486
You have to EQ it down 5 db’s? That’s killing my interest in these. That’s a big EQ for one frequency band.

Good news is it is fixable with just one equalization. Also it seems regional. I didn't notice other peaks which bother me in other upper frequencies so far.
Also, the Verum sounds damn good except that one.
But yes, there is the peak at least to my ears.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #254 of 1,486
That's interesting. I did not notice with mine. Let me have a further try later.

Yes, it would be great if we can test using the same track I mentioned in the previous post.
I may be just the person who is sensitive to 10khz. Or there might be other possibilities. I just want to figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back