1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by cskippy, Aug 22, 2018.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. Zachik
    Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry for your wallet :wink:
    Now, that I properly welcomed you to Head-Fi, to answer your questions:
    I am still waiting for my Verums, but from everything I have read so far - seems like this is a significant upgrade compared to Sundara and 4xx...
    I realize that this is hear say (no pun intended).

yavormoskov likes this.
  2. Zachik
    Have you seen LP in person? I was not too crazy about the industrial design, but having it in person - it looks better than the Monoprice photos!
    On top of that, I feel the design is growing on me over time...

3. franz12
    Yes, actually I bought it. But the volume knob was defective so I had to return it.
    Since then I was thinking about buying the LP again, but that design always pushed me back..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. DiederickFritz
    Thanks, my wallet has endured quite a beating, which is part of the reason why I want to be careful when selecting an upgrade pick--I've lost so much on pad-rolling my Meze 99 Classics alone...
    Anyways, I'm anxious to know about the modding potential of the Verums, and if it's worth it over modding the Sundara towards my preferred sound signature, dark and boomy. From what I've read, macro-details are the Verums strong points and micro-details their weakness compared to unmodded Sundara...

wonderfaller likes this.
  5. Zachik
    Got it. I do not recall any mention of Verum modding, yet.
    Part of the reason may be the fact that many Kickstarter backers (me included) are still waiting for their Verum... :frowning2:

6. yavormoskov
    HAHAHA. I liked that.....sorry for your wallet. Years ago I was greeted here with the same phrase :) :beyersmile: And my first decent phone was Beyerdynamic Custom one pro 1st gen. Now you have to threaten to shoot me in the head to listen to them.

7. Zachik
    You have grown! :wink:
    My first "serious" headphone was the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, which I still use sometimes for watching reviews on youtube...

8. yavormoskov
    Hmmm.....dark and boomy. When you say boomy do you mean increased low end? You might really like the Argon Mk3.

omniweltall likes this.
  9. omniweltall
    Actually I dont have a problem with Verum's look too. The silver grill and carbon texture look good too for me. But Audeze beats it in terms of industrial good look. And ZMF/Fostex beats it due to woody beauties. I love wood.

10. omniweltall
    Same here. I prefer Massdrop look.

11. omniweltall
    Detail/resolution is not a weakness when compared to sundara/4XX. It is a weakness when compared to hd800 though. It is quite detailed. I dont think you will miss much at all, as most headphones are below the HD800 anyways.

But I would say the Verum's real strengh comes from the timbre (body and smoothness), macro dynamics, and bass. It is no slouch in other departments too, but it is strongest where it counts the most. There are other planar with good macro dynamics and bass, but overall still very much behind the Verum. It is my favorite planar to date. And that says a lot for me.

This is a planar with a soul.

Hifiearspeakers likes this.
  12. leeperry
    Manufacturer refuses to explain how to take the baffles out.

13. Garuspik
    Sure I refuse to explain how to make any modifications cause this will end a warranty. So all my answers will be: do anything with your property at your own risk.

p.s. Can you name any manufacturer that explains how to make mods?

Hifiearspeakers likes this.
  14. DiederickFritz
    I heard about the Argons from the ZReviews guy and he seems to prefer the Verums. From the way he frames it, these headphones are buy or die. But then again, is it just me or does the ZReviews guy hype over everything lol

It also seems like the weaknesses of the Verums (thicker sheeting) are outweighed by their “liveliness” compared to other planers. Then there’s the price difference... and a savings of $150 compared to the Sundaras make it a nobrainer as to what to buy. I really was hoping that the big companies would pull through here...

15. leeperry
    Virtually any headphone on the planet can have its baffles unscrewed. Any headphone modder is well aware that it will end warranty, look at the T50RP MK2 hype for instance, none of this would have ever happened with sealed baffles.

If a modder is ballsy enough to kill a driver due to his own fault and send it back to you playing dumb you'd easily notice, you even said that spare drivers would cost 10 bucks so totally worth the gamble anyhow as ideally I would want to try damping with Twaron Angel Hair and replace the 2.5mm jacks for 3.5mm so my end-game Hifiman cable made of Silver OCC octo-litz & pure copper furu plugs would fit. I would also need to replace the low purity OFC you put between the jacks and drivers for Silver OCC goodness :)

Some would like to try fazor mods, sorbothane and what-not. This is Sparta Head-Fi [​IMG]

Are the grills removable at all? Obviously some ppl would try grills with big holes as they do on Hifiman's.

A semi-DIY ortho that can't be disassembled whatsoever is quite ironic to be honest [​IMG]

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last