Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #211 of 1,486
Grills are glued on double sided tape. VERY GOOD double sided tape (except first batch) so it's more likely that you'll damage a grill during disassembling. Anyway @leeperry your Verum 1 will reach you in a ~2 weeks and you'll decide whether you want to experiment or not.

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #212 of 1,486
I heard about the Argons from the ZReviews guy and he seems to prefer the Verums. From the way he frames it, these headphones are buy or die. But then again, is it just me or does the ZReviews guy hype over everything lol

It also seems like the weaknesses of the Verums (thicker sheeting) are outweighed by their “liveliness” compared to other planers. Then there’s the price difference... and a savings of $150 compared to the Sundaras make it a nobrainer as to what to buy. I really was hoping that the big companies would pull through here...

It's my principle - I never talk about the sound of my headphones and never make comparisons with other products. Unfortunately I can't let everyone who is interested to listen to those headphones. But I believe at least 250-300 pcs are already in the Usa and 10-20 units in New York. So the best way for you is to find someone who already owns them and listen by yourself.

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #213 of 1,486
Grills are glued on double sided tape. VERY GOOD double sided tape (except first batch) so it's more likely that you'll damage a grill during disassembling. Anyway @leeperry your Verum 1 will reach you in a ~2 weeks and you'll decide whether you want to experiment or not.
OK thanks a lot, I would prefer black grills with big holes anyway so no big loss here. That'd look really good on my soon-to-be-arrived Silver Carbon :)

Now, can you please spill the beans and explain how to take out the baffles? I'll take full responsibility if I kill a driver as they'd cost 10 bucks anyhow. Any modder is well aware that this will end warranty, inherent dangers of the job really.

thanks-t.gif

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #215 of 1,486
It's my principle - I never talk about the sound of my headphones and never make comparisons with other products. Unfortunately I can't let everyone who is interested to listen to those headphones. But I believe at least 250-300 pcs are already in the Usa and 10-20 units in New York. So the best way for you is to find someone who already owns them and listen by yourself.
Yeah I keep reading mixed facts on what the Verums actually are but there seems to be a consensus that they are livelier,bassier than other planars. I just hope that they aren’t akin to Meze 99 Cs in their signature; I hate those headphones. I’m looking more for an open back PM3 if anyone has suggestions

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #217 of 1,486
It also seems like the weaknesses of the Verums (thicker sheeting) are outweighed by their “liveliness” compared to other planers. Then there’s the price difference... and a savings of $150 compared to the Sundaras make it a nobrainer as to what to buy. I really was hoping that the big companies would pull through here...

I would put the prices of Sundara and Verum into the same ball park, as many people here get a Sundara new at a nice discount, $300-$350. Sundara has also a nice soundstage. Also, customer services might be easier because you don't need to ship it oversea should any issues arise.
But the Sundara has little sub bass. Also, some people reported that the Verum sounds better than the headphone more than $1000. So I have a very high hope.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #218 of 1,486
SELF-COST of driver is 10$, not a price for a change. also don't forget about shipping from you to me and backwards.
Experiment, you're a modder :wink: No more explanations.
Yeah 10 bucks + markup as spare part + shipping for a 100g enveloppe, cry me a river as I'd replace it myself anyhow.

There isn't a million options here, apparently no screws...so it's glued? Or is there a magical formula? Possibly cursing about Putin would help at all?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #219 of 1,486
I would put the prices of Sundara and Verum into the same ball park,
Only in terms of price. And below the Verum in everything else, as far as I am concerned. The soundstage is wider, yes. But the Verum is deeper. Getting depth is harder than width. And I'm getting more consistent imaging from the Verum, in terms of placement of sound images.

In the end, there is subjectivity in sound. I was surprised a number of times by other people's taste in the past. So, you never know. Give it a try and find out. Or just buy it and have a try. It is only $350 including shipping. Try the Verum before spending thousands of dollars on other planars.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #220 of 1,486
Only in terms of price. And below the Verum in everything else, as far as I am concerned. The soundstage is wider, yes. But the Verum is deeper. Getting depth is harder than width. And I'm getting more consistent imaging from the Verum, in terms of placement of sound images.
What's about the soundstage against the LCD2C's? In Joshua Valour's LCD2C's reviews he mentioned LCD2C's sound "Gigantic", Is it same with the Verum 1's?
If I'm not mistaken LCD2Cs have 106mm driver while Verum 1s have ~80mm driver. Could LCD2Cs bigger driver is the reason for that?

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #221 of 1,486
What's about the soundstage against the LCD2C's? In Joshua Valour's LCD2C's reviews he mentioned LCD2C's sound "Gigantic", Is it same with the Verum 1's?
If I'm not mistaken LCD2Cs have 106mm driver while Verum 1s have ~80mm driver. Could LCD2Cs bigger driver is the reason for that?
Verum is better to me. Yes. the 2C has larger sounds images and wider stage. I think what Joshua meant could be the sound image size, not the actual stage size.

Using the Yosi Horikawa test, the 2C is not consistent across the stage. When I closed my eyes, I couldn't feel the guy writing from left to right. Whereas I can feel it clearly with the Verum. Not only that, I feel realistic timbre of the chalk hitting the board. I didn't feel this with the 2C.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #222 of 1,486
Verum is better to me. Yes. the 2C has larger sounds images and wider stage. I think whatJoshua meant could be the sound image size, not the actual stage size.

Using the Yosi Horikawa test, it is not consistent across the stage. When I closed my eyes, I couldn't feel the guy writing from left to right. Whereas I can feel it clearly with the Verum. Not only that, I feel realistic timbre of the chalk hitting the board. I didn't feel this with the 2C.

Give it a try. I'm open to counter-opinions.
It seems Verum 1 is a masterpiece. I can't believe big boys like Audeze, Hifiman couldn't do something like this.
Is there any planar or dynamic with similar sound characteristics? I mean in any price range.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #223 of 1,486
It seems Verum 1 is a masterpiece. I can't believe big boys like Audeze, Hifiman couldn't do something like this.
Is there any planar or dynamic with similar sound characteristics? I mean in any price range.
Thing is....it's been quite a while since I heard the Abyss or LCD-4. I cannot reliably recall. To my limited audio memory, the Abyss does soundstage and detail better than the Verum. The Abyss has the most realistic stage I have heard, very 3-D. It beats even the king of soundstage, HD800, where it sounds wider but flatter in comparison. But the Abyss' mid is drier than the Verum. The Verum has more addictive mids. And I would say, the Verum doesn't lose out much on the bass too (probably equal or similar). And I consider Abyss and Audeze as kings of bass.

I remember the Susvara pretty well. But I'm too tired to compare it. Gotta sleep. Let's just say I prefer the Verum sound. Like I said, the things that the Verum does well, to me, is where it counts the most. Timbre, dynamics, and bass. Imagine a smooth flowing Audeze with better FR. Hits really hard when it is needed. Does hard rock as good as female vocals. The hifimans are just not there yet in this regard. They are after a different kind of sound. They don't have this solid body of sound like the Verum. This is man's territory.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #224 of 1,486
Thing is....it's been quite a while since I heard the Abyss or LCD-4. I cannot reliably recall. To my limited audio memory, the Abyss does soundstage and detail better than the Verum. The Abyss has the most realistic stage I have heard, very 3-D. It beats even the king of soundstage, HD800, where it sounds wider but flatter in comparison. But the Abyss' mid is drier than the Verum. The Verum has more addictive mids. And I would say, the Verum doesn't lose out much on the bass too (probably equal or similar). And I consider Abyss and Audeze as kings of bass.

I remember the Susvara pretty well. But I'm too tired to compare it. Gotta sleep. Let's just say I prefer the Verum sound. Like I said, the things that the Verum does well, to me, is where it counts the most. Timbre, dynamics, and bass. Imagine a smooth flowing Audeze with better FR. Hits really hard when it is needed. Does hard rock as good as female vocals. The hifimans are just not there yet in this regard. They are after a different kind of sound. They don't have this solid body of sound like the Verum. This is man's territory.
I am sold on the hype. From your impressions, the Verum may sound better than any headphone under $1500 including both dynamic and planar headphones.
I hate to say this, but I suspect a headphone produced in the U.S. is expensive because of high labor costs.
Average income per person in Ukraine is just about 1/20 compared to the U.S. Doing business there would be substantially cheaper for the production of a product of similar quality..

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #225 of 1,486

It doesn’t look comfortable at all. Would you describe it as comfortable? The adjustment straps look hard to maneuver as well. Am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back