Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #181 of 1,486
What is grainy? good/bad?

1) Is there any reason to keep the 400i if the Verum is like an improve 400i? Is there anything that the 400i does better? (I'd be grateful if somebody can proved a more detailed comparison between the two!) Especially on; resolution/musicality/detail (which can extract better information), harshness/smoothness, and comfort/weight/get hot?
2) Heard that these are 8 ohms and so require a 1 ohm amp; without it can sound off... (from Z review I believe it was...). I have a topping A1 think it is and an original Magni (1) non-uber-whatever. So would these also require a new amp not to sound funky in a bad way? If so, which would it be?
3) Seems like you can order directly from the verum website. Would this be purchasing direct from the maker / Ukraine? I'm in Canada, I think I might be better off purchasing from there rather than the US store/distributor, as the US/Canada border is pretty harsh on fees, and from my experience from order from China, the shipping might actually be cheaper and there's also a chance to have lesser fees at the border...
Regarding N03......Order direct from website, direct from maker in Ukraine. I think there is around a 6 week wait at the moment. I will keep my 400i, but much prefer the Verum

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #182 of 1,486
im actually debating on ordering the carbon and selling the zebra but i only see carbon with gold has anyone asked if he will switch the grills out? if not ill keep zebra i personally am not a gold person. the wait isnt a huge deal i have more then enough sets of others to hold me over lol

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #183 of 1,486
im actually debating on ordering the carbon and selling the zebra but i only see carbon with gold has anyone asked if he will switch the grills out? if not ill keep zebra i personally am not a gold person. the wait isnt a huge deal i have more then enough sets of others to hold me over lol

I asked if they’d do carbon and silver prior to placing my order and was told it shouldn’t be a problem, so I placed my order with a comment stating my request.

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #184 of 1,486
@Garuspik I wanted to share this... I did some experiments for fun, and discovered something interesting. I bought some fine metal mesh a while back to use for damping in headphone mods. It doesn't absorb, and it doesn't reflect that much, so it's a pretty good material to just apply resistance to the air, right? So I folded a piece of mesh several times so it just covers the inside of the whole ear pad hole. In the measurement, red is stock and green is with this mesh.

hDuHxae.png

Sure, treble is a bit lower, but look at the SHAPE of it. The spikes are all flattened out! It's much smoother, and it sounds like it too. the 1KHz bump is flatter too!

The area around 4-5KHz is a lie, as hat isn't a real peak. That's just the MiniDSP EARS rig making some artifacts.

Can you show us some pictures of the inside of your cups? It does seam interesting, seems to bring them to a similar response as an lcd-2, perhaps slightly brighter mids

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #185 of 1,486
Has anyone have tried to run Verum1's with THX 789 amp with balanced dac input?
I was considering LCD-2C but Verum 1's are considerably cheaper than 2C's and based on reviews without sacrificing anything good about 2Cs.
Only bummer for me is their extremely low resistance.
I got an SU-8 on the way and my THX 789 is set to ship in May. My V1's are already here though.

According to one of the THX engineers, the balanced inputs are connected directly to the SE circuitry (lowering voltage at the same time?) so there's technically no SQ or signal difference between them AFAIK. I'm not sure it's the same with the 4-pin headphone output though. I haven't looked into that aspect specifically but if you look at most (if not all?) balanced+SE amplifiers, the balanced headphone output is noticeably louder.
The balanced 3-pin outputs on the SU-8 are however, slightly better (not by much) than the SE output (according to Amir on ASR: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-su-8-version-2-balanced-dac.5433/). I would simply go with XLR (balanced) to avoid ground loops and/or noise issues, any audio difference that small is likely a perceived improvement rather than actual difference. That's entirely up to you though :L3000:.

When it comes to volume and knobs... I run my V1's almost at the same volume level as my old AD1000X, which are 40 ohms. Now... if that's because of the FR differences between my headphones... or the fact that the Verum's are planars, I'm not sure.

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #186 of 1,486
I got an SU-8 on the way and my THX 789 is set to ship in May. My V1's are already here though.

According to one of the THX engineers, the balanced inputs are connected directly to the SE circuitry (lowering voltage at the same time?) so there's technically no SQ or signal difference between them AFAIK. I'm not sure it's the same with the 4-pin headphone output though. I haven't looked into that aspect specifically but if you look at most (if not all?) balanced+SE amplifiers, the balanced headphone output is noticeably louder.
The balanced 3-pin outputs on the SU-8 are however, slightly better (not by much) than the SE output (according to Amir on ASR: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-su-8-version-2-balanced-dac.5433/). I would simply go with XLR (balanced) to avoid ground loops and/or noise issues, any audio difference that small is likely a perceived improvement rather than actual difference. That's entirely up to you though :L3000:.

When it comes to volume and knobs... I run my V1's almost at the same volume level as my old AD1000X, which are 40 ohms. Now... if that's because of the FR differences between my headphones... or the fact that the Verum's are planars, I'm not sure.
Thanks for the very valuable response.
Could you please do at least a very brief review of verum 1's once you get the SU-8. Specially if you connect SU-8 balanced out to the THX's Balanced inputs. Connecting headphone to the THX's SE or Balanced headphone output doesn't matter much to me, I'm OK with connecting Verum's to the SE out of THX.
I really want to know is how loud Verum's gets (would I get some room to play with volume control :) or make me deaf as soon as I touch the volume :triportsad:) when THX is connected to a balanced DAC using Balanced inputs of THX.:ksc75smile:

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #187 of 1,486
@Garuspik - can you please provide Kickstarter backers shipments update?
I believe last update was 3 or 4 weeks ago.....

Apr 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #188 of 1,486
Thanks for the very valuable response.
Could you please do at least a very brief review of verum 1's once you get the SU-8. Specially if you connect SU-8 balanced out to the THX's Balanced inputs. Connecting headphone to the THX's SE or Balanced headphone output doesn't matter much to me, I'm OK with connecting Verum's to the SE out of THX.
I really want to know is how loud Verum's gets (would I get some room to play with volume control :) or make me deaf as soon as I touch the volume :triportsad:) when THX is connected to a balanced DAC using Balanced inputs of THX.:ksc75smile:
If I remember to do so, sure :smile_phones:. The SU-8 won't get here for a few weeks time and as I said earlier, my THX will start shipping in mid-May so that'll take a while too from the US to the EU... If only Massdrop had that EU warehouse up and running already :slight_frown:

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #189 of 1,486
Try this with the Verum.

Imaging within the soundstage is really good. I can tell the location clearly while closing my eyes.

The chalk also feels real. There is solidity and impact when the chalk hits the board.

This is the most convincing of all headphones I tried lately.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #190 of 1,486
Apparently these headphones are a big hit (and if you have a pair you don't need, PM me). So, guys I was curious about how they pair. I have Burson Fun amp with Sparkos labs op-amps (aggressive op-amps with tons of detail but not very relaxing sound). The background is very black even with sensitive IEMs and I can't hear anything with my FLC8s. But this amp is rated at 6 Ohm and the Verum ones are 8 Ohm. Do you think it might be a problem here? Maybe using something like JDS labs Atom which is rated at 0.1 Ohm is better? Please share your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #191 of 1,486
Try this with the Verum.

Imaging within the soundstage is really good. I can tell the location clearly while closing my eyes.

The chalk also feels real. There is solidity and impact when the chalk hits the board.

This is the most convincing of all headphones I tried lately.

I was able to get one used without waiting 6-8 weeks!
I look forward to listening to these headphones, especially after reading some impressions claiming that these sound better ZMF Aeolus which costs 1.2k.

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #193 of 1,486
I was able to get one used without waiting 6-8 weeks!
I look forward to listening to these headphones, especially after reading some impressions claiming that these sound better ZMF Aeolus which costs 1.2k.
Very different sounding. I kinda like Zach's mids too. Aelous is warm/dark to me. As usual, bass will suffer against the Verum.

But ZMF woodies look good.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #194 of 1,486
Hi, I’m new to headfi (though I’ve been lurking for a few months) and I’ve been looking to acquire an upgrade to my modded HE4xx (1/2 inch open grill & Cowhide Zmf oval pads) that I power with an iDSD BL + Massdrop CTH amp combo.

Initially, I was thinking of buying an HF Sundara and mod it the same way as my 4xx to get a darker, bassier sound, but then i saw the Headfonics review and now I’m wondering if the Verum 1 is a better option for me, or should I stick with my current plan? Idk how the Headfonics reviewer made their comparisons, but I would think that the (modded) Sundara would sound better than the Verum given a better source, right?

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #195 of 1,486
Very different sounding. I kinda like Zach's mids too. Aelous is warm/dark to me. As usual, bass will suffer against the Verum.

But ZMF woodies look good.

Yes, many people seem to think the Verum doesn't look good. But that's fine with me because I can't really see them while they are on my head.
Actually, I care the look of dac/amps more than headphones as I have to keep looking at them. That is why I don't really want to buy the Liquid platinum...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back