Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #166 of 1,486
Thanks! In fact, I was looking for an open can which sounds less open. It may sound strange, but my hifiman headphone does not cover up any noise in and out. This hifiman headphone requires me to be in a really quiet place, but my house gets noisy pretty often, and then it became not suitable to listen to this completely open headphone.
People seem to say that the Verum sounds less open, and that looks promising to me..
When I cover my hands on the phone, I don't detect any change.

But I can also hear external noises clearly.

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #169 of 1,486
Thanks guys for all the info. I just pulled the trigger Carbon Fiber with Silver Grill. 6 weeks pre-order. :triportsad: - it's gonna be an agonising waiting period.
Kelvin

FYI, it’s probably going to take longer. I paid for mine nearly 7 weeks ago (I believe the preorder lead time was supposed to be 4 weeks back then) and mine still haven’t shipped. In fact, I don’t believe all the Kickstarter supporters have received theirs yet, and they should be receiving theirs before the non-kickstarter buyers.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #170 of 1,486
I have been fighting my HE 560 with EQ long enough. The mid-high hardness comes through even through my Speaker tube amp/resistor box setup. So for 349Usd i am giving this a try. Even if it is only half as good as Z says in his You Tube Review.
I can wait of course. HD800 all modded and sound beautiful from my 300b tube monobloc setup, HE560 thru its own KT88 tube setup, Final Audio Sonorous VI through my portable Pioneer XDP300R setup.. And mobile FITEAR TOGO 334......
Ooh forgot my AudioTechnica ADX1000>
Happy Listening Guys

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #171 of 1,486
Has anyone have tried to run Verum1's with THX 789 amp with balanced dac input?
I was considering LCD-2C but Verum 1's are considerably cheaper than 2C's and based on reviews without sacrificing anything good about 2Cs.
Only bummer for me is their extremely low resistance.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #173 of 1,486
@Garuspik I wanted to share this... I did some experiments for fun, and discovered something interesting. I bought some fine metal mesh a while back to use for damping in headphone mods. It doesn't absorb, and it doesn't reflect that much, so it's a pretty good material to just apply resistance to the air, right? So I folded a piece of mesh several times so it just covers the inside of the whole ear pad hole. In the measurement, red is stock and green is with this mesh.

hDuHxae.png

Sure, treble is a bit lower, but look at the SHAPE of it. The spikes are all flattened out! It's much smoother, and it sounds like it too. the 1KHz bump is flatter too!

The area around 4-5KHz is a lie, as hat isn't a real peak. That's just the MiniDSP EARS rig making some artifacts.

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #174 of 1,486
Thanks guys for all the info. I just pulled the trigger Carbon Fiber with Silver Grill. 6 weeks pre-order. :triportsad: - it's gonna be an agonising waiting period.
Kelvin

FYI, it’s probably going to take longer. I paid for mine nearly 7 weeks ago (I believe the preorder lead time was supposed to be 4 weeks back then) and mine still haven’t shipped. In fact, I don’t believe all the Kickstarter supporters have received theirs yet, and they should be receiving theirs before the non-kickstarter buyers.
Still waiting to get my shipping notice and tracking # and I ordered mine as part of the Kickstarter campaign in Sep. 2018... :anguished:

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #175 of 1,486
@Garuspik I wanted to share this... I did some experiments for fun, and discovered something interesting. I bought some fine metal mesh a while back to use for damping in headphone mods. It doesn't absorb, and it doesn't reflect that much, so it's a pretty good material to just apply resistance to the air, right? So I folded a piece of mesh several times so it just covers the inside of the whole ear pad hole. In the measurement, red is stock and green is with this mesh.

hDuHxae.png

Sure, treble is a bit lower, but look at the SHAPE of it. The spikes are all flattened out! It's much smoother, and it sounds like it too. the 1KHz bump is flatter too!

The area around 4-5KHz is a lie, as hat isn't a real peak. That's just the MiniDSP EARS rig making some artifacts.
Can you show the material used, and how it was applied via photo or video?

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #177 of 1,486
Vs the LCD X and 2C the Verum sounds less grainy, smoother, more body and less plastic timbre. It hits about as hard as the LCD-2C but has more leading edge. Vocals don’t sound as strained and come through with more emotion. The Verum is more extended from top to bottom and resolves better. The Verum reminds me of a better HE-500(unmodded)
What is grainy? good/bad?
Verum is like an improved HE-400i. Less sucked out midrange/treble and not as much 10kHz tizz. I think you would enjoy it.
I was backer No8, so I have many hours of listening up to now. The Verum, for me, has detail, instrument separation, soundstage height, width, and depth, mainly using iMac, into HA1, and balanced out. I will not be spending large amounts on expensive headphones any more as I can now get the sound I like, for a fraction of the price., so I have sold my HEK,HD800, 846, and a few others. As I have 78 year old ears, I won't get into detailed differences, as I might not be relevant to all you youngsters. I am also keeping my 1060,560, 400i. I seem to have settled on Verum,iSine 20, Sony 1000XM3. So, Verum 2?.
1) Is there any reason to keep the 400i if the Verum is like an improve 400i? Is there anything that the 400i does better? (I'd be grateful if somebody can proved a more detailed comparison between the two!) Especially on; resolution/musicality/detail (which can extract better information), harshness/smoothness, and comfort/weight/get hot?
2) Heard that these are 8 ohms and so require a 1 ohm amp; without it can sound off... (from Z review I believe it was...). I have a topping A1 think it is and an original Magni (1) non-uber-whatever. So would these also require a new amp not to sound funky in a bad way? If so, which would it be?
3) Seems like you can order directly from the verum website. Would this be purchasing direct from the maker / Ukraine? I'm in Canada, I think I might be better off purchasing from there rather than the US store/distributor, as the US/Canada border is pretty harsh on fees, and from my experience from order from China, the shipping might actually be cheaper and there's also a chance to have lesser fees at the border...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #178 of 1,486
2) Heard that these are 8 ohms and so require a 1 ohm amp; without it can sound off... (from Z review I believe it was...). I have a topping A1 think it is and an original Magni (1) non-uber-whatever. So would these also require a new amp not to sound funky in a bad way? If so, which would it be?

I can only help with your second question but I have a first gen Magni and it has an output impedance of 0.1 ohm which means it should be more than sufficient for the less-than-1/8th-rule. Your Topping A30 you have listed in your sig, however, has an output impedance of 30 ohms (at least according to what I can find online) so that amp would be a no-go if that bothers you.

I've done some reading on the subject (https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance) and used my own experience and a higher output impedance, especially on a planar, may be beneficial to the sound signature, depending on your preference. My Emotiva A-100 in regular mode has an output impedance of 220 Ohm and it sounds great with all of my planars (see my signature). Now, I will admit that none of my planars have as low of an impedance as 8 Ohm but the electrical principals should be same according to the testing methods discussed in the article I linked above.

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #179 of 1,486
I have questions for people who already own them. First is about the ear pads. I see they are magnetically attached. Is there an additional groove so I can install any pads in the future or not? Did you receive just one pair of pads or two? Is there any third party cable that is compatible with them? Thanks in advance :)

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #180 of 1,486
I have questions for people who already own them. First is about the ear pads. I see they are magnetically attached. Is there an additional groove so I can install any pads in the future or not? Did you receive just one pair of pads or two? Is there any third party cable that is compatible with them? Thanks in advance :)
1. You can simply take out the metal ring from stock pads and reinstall with new pads
2. One pair of stock pads.
3. Cable use dual 2.5mm connector to the headphone, similar to HE1000v1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back