Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #121 of 1,486
Is the wait time still 3-4 weeks from order?

Order serious question why are you selling this headphone for so low. It beats out most planars I’ve tried even the LCD like outside the 4.

the real question is the ridiculous money that Audege, Hifiman, and Focal marketeers are charging for their products with their issue of the month variations.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #122 of 1,486
Where are all the impressions of the Verum 1 in comparison with current established planars? (400i, 4XX, HEX V2, LCD-2C, LCD-X, E2, etc.)

I'm looking forward to placing an order of the signature fits the bill.
Vs the LCD X and 2C the Verum sounds less grainy, smoother, more body and less plastic timbre. It hits about as hard as the LCD-2C but has more leading edge. Vocals don’t sound as strained and come through with more emotion. The Verum is more extended from top to bottom and resolves better. The Verum reminds me of a better HE-500(unmodded)

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #123 of 1,486
Where are all the impressions of the Verum 1 in comparison with current established planars? (400i, 4XX, HEX V2, LCD-2C, LCD-X, E2, etc.)

I've only heard the 4XX out of the ones you listed and I found the Verum 1 to be clearly better - significantly more resolving and more neutral FR. I also thought these things about the Verum 1 vs the AFO, but the AFO's FR is so wonky to me that it's hard to make judgments about resolution (was that string pluck actually less resolving or just quieter?).

Mar 21, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #124 of 1,486
Vs the LCD X and 2C the Verum sounds less grainy, smoother, more body and less plastic timbre. It hits about as hard as the LCD-2C but has more leading edge. Vocals don’t sound as strained and come through with more emotion. The Verum is more extended from top to bottom and resolves better. The Verum reminds me of a better HE-500(unmodded)

This comparison makes this appear like a no brainer. I like your succinct comments and you apply it across the board to both the LCD2C and LCDX. That's a strong recommendation.

I unfortunately haven't heard the LCD2C but have been admiring them from afar for quite some time. I heard the LCDX briefly and they are impressive, especially the bass but not quite sure about the weight for a $1K plus can. There's a lot of sins that can be forgiven under $500 but even then, I haven't heard any complaints about the Verum One weight.

I do have unmodded HE500 on hand. If there are other comparisons to this or the 400i, HEX V2 or LCDX, that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for commenting. I'd like to hear comparisons from more owners if possible.

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #126 of 1,486
How much and where can I find one?

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #128 of 1,486
I was backer No8, so I have many hours of listening up to now. The Verum, for me, has detail, instrument separation, soundstage height, width, and depth, mainly using iMac, into HA1, and balanced out. I will not be spending large amounts on expensive headphones any more as I can now get the sound I like, for a fraction of the price., so I have sold my HEK,HD800, 846, and a few others. As I have 78 year old ears, I won't get into detailed differences, as I might not be relevant to all you youngsters. I am also keeping my 1060,560, 400i. I seem to have settled on Verum,iSine 20, Sony 1000XM3. So, Verum 2?.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #129 of 1,486
I'm interested in these, but only if they'll pair with my desktop amp without issues. My amp has an output impedance of 6 ohms. I know planars play by different rules (not the 8:1 rule), but 6 ohms output impedance vs 8 ohm headphones seems... sketchy? Is it worth trying or should I not bother?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #130 of 1,486
How are these compared to the sundara?

Mar 30, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #132 of 1,486
This mirrors my thoughts against the 2C.

The Verum has more leading edge and a more neutral FR. Female vocals are better represented. Bass hits with impact that Audeze is known for, but less rounded than the 2C. Stage has more focus and separation as well, while the 2C can sound muffled at times.

On the other hand, the 2C still sounds slightly larger and more speaker-like. It is a more laid back listening against the Verum's brighter sound. The 2C looks much better, has much better ergonomics and build quality. Each deserving its price tag.

The Verum is like a neutral 2C. A great complement, for me.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #133 of 1,486
How are these compared to the sundara?
Compared to 4XX and Sundara, I feel that the Verum is in a different league altogether. What the Verum does much better is the impact and macrodynamic. It is a larger and more forceful sound, while staying clear and effortless. The 4XX and Sundara fall apart on louder volume and busier passages. The Verum holds its ground very well.

Secondly, the bass is much better. It extends very low, but has great impact. This is better than any hifimans I tried, including Susvara and HEK. This is Audeze level bass, most similar to the LCD-X.

Soundstage has better depth too. Im not feeling the 3-blob stage. It has normal width, but is deep and not diffused. Makes it more akin to listening to speakers.

Build quality is much better than the hifimans as well. It actually feels sturdy and well-built though somewhat rugged, while staying cheap at $350. My HEKv1 felt a lot inferior. The cable is surprisingly nice too. I dont feel the urge to upgrade the cable. Im staying with the stock cable with this one.

Though Im not agreeable with the 8-ohm, this is a no-brainer for the price. Other than the Senns (which is a different sound type altogether), I cannot think of a better performance at this price. It proves that a really good planar doesnt need to cost so much.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #135 of 1,486
i messaged him saying i wanted carbon and got zebra today anyway. a bit bummed. the carbon looks amazing i like the zebra it is def nice just not the ones i really wanted. have not listened to them yet.
Bummer.

The Zebrano looks really good though. I regretted getting the Carbon after I saw a finished Zebrano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back