Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #406 of 1,486
I'd like to see @cskippy (or any others willing to share their pad swapping experiences) explore more pads and it's materials to see what changes the sound, share the measurements. I like to know what velour does.

Looks like the perforated pads evens out the treble variations, and also creating a more leveled response.

Is Verum 1, pad swap friendly? With zmf or Hifiman pads?

I'm not entirely sure WHY I didn't tell you this, but I swapped the pads out with ZMF Universe pads that Zach sent with my Verite reviewer pair (which I didn't include because they're not mine) when I was listening to it. Bass had a bit better texture and it seemed to open up a bit. You might want to try that.

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #407 of 1,486
@SilverEars Here are a few pads that I had on hand, should give you an idea of what changes can be had with pad rolling.

Note, I did not overlay them on top of each other for hopefully obvious reasons...
Look at relative differences and reference the horizontal lines for amplitude differences:
Verum_1_pad_rolling_pt2.png

Thanks for the great measurements as always, CSkippy! :o2smile: Did you do any listening with these combos or just measure them? I ask this because the Ori Suede looks quite promising but graphs only tell part of the story. Also, I trust your opinion because, as I discovered while modding the M1060, we have similar ears and taste.

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #408 of 1,486
Hey @theangelboy! Thanks for the kind words. I did some brief listening with each pair but is was back to back and I settled on the pads I preferred which I believe are Dekoni AKG series pads? I didn't buy them, they were sent to me, so unfortunately I can't confirm but the stitching reminds me of Dekoni but otherwise they look like Brainwavz round pads. I told @Garuspik about these as a target to try and hit as I felt the mid range and timbre was the most correct. I do not have a production set of stock pads so I can't verify if they measure and sound the same.

Like you said, measurements do not tell the whole story since decay and distortion are also key factors. The Ori Suede like other cloth pads tend to absorb more of the treble and create a dead but controlled sound. I thought it killed to much of the sound to enjoy them but others might like them. Try pads with a wide ear opening and thin depth if you want a brighter more immediate sound. Thicker pads and angled pads will create a larger sound stage at the potential cost of clarity.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #410 of 1,486
I love the design of the Verum but for me I would love a better headband.
I for one plan to paint the "cat ears" portion of the metal yoke in light grey or white, to make it easier to ignore vs. the rest, so the headphones look like they're only made of the darker remaining parts. :)

But Garuspik also said he's designing some new system for the Verum 0.5, so we might see there what other solutions are possible.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #411 of 1,486
I was thinking, is it possible to remove the outside metal grills? I am sure it can easily be painted with something like red automobile spray paint. Have you tried to remove them or they are glued?

Garuspik mentioned a few pages ago that the grills are held on by really strong double sided tape. My guess is that you would damage the grills before you got them off. Kind of a shame but I understand why he did it.

Apr 30, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #413 of 1,486
These are really enjoyable. Nice big soundstage, great separation and clarity through whole spectum. They pull out a lot of detail and nuance.

Had a very enjoyable listening session yesterday with them. Bass is nice and detailed too. I like the overall definition of the sound.

I had to fanaggle with the fit and sizing on my head for a while to dial it in correctly, which was mildly annoying.

I am very anal when it comes to the seal, since it does affect balance (left/right and imaging) of the sound.

This is important for all headphones IMO, but it is harder to get right with the kind of mechanism this headphone has for sizing the sides.

I do like the tilt function these have to get the angle right, but sizing it is a little annoying.

My ears kind of lightly graze the upper back part of the pad, which seems to be the right location for the best balance of sound between ears.

Ears seem to sit pretty well centered within each pad. It's worth getting it dialed just right! :o2smile:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #414 of 1,486
I just received mines and I'm really impressed with the initial listen.. Also the build quality is superb.. I'll have more details once I have more time with them..I just have one issue...I have to tap the right driver sometimes to make it work correctly... Is that a normal thing with planars??? Once I give it a little tap everything is perfect and balanced and remains that way the entire listening session...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #416 of 1,486
If anything, they don't put enough weight in the FR graphs, because most people, including a lot of experienced headphone enthusiasts, don't understand enough wave physics and signal theory to know just how much information is captured in the FR and how much it overlaps with what can be seen in other projections like impulse and step responses and even CSDs. It's all one phenomenon, it can't change on one frequency-domain graph and not change correspondingly on all the time-domain graphs. A system showing near-perfect FR will also show near-perfect impulse response, step response and CSD, and the other way around. And focusing on FR of all these is probably optimal, since most people can get a pretty good understanding of what makes a "good" FR even without much technical education, whereas with the other graphs (even though they're showing the same information) it's harder to learn how to read them correctly.

You mention putting more weight in FR plots with all that additional data such is cool, but my initial comment is that with the absence of all the time domain plots, an FR plot might be over weighed on average.

As well, i would point out that near perfect FR plot and accompanying time domain plots are highly subjective. A deep hole of this discussion goes further.

I think these are useful tools to accompany impressions but i can also have many experiences where i have the headphones, all the measurement data and subjectively, not quite sure they match precisely. In any case, I'm appreciate of anyone's hard work to get this out into the open public but impressions are critical for alignment. If I had "near perfect" measurement data (assuming a "near perfect" measurement rig which is a huge assumption) and people give bad impressions, I'm not buying it (the headphone of course) without a lot more investigation. When both align, I'm more intrigued and of course personal listening trumps ALL of this.

Back on topic. I'm about to pull the trigger, thinking boobinga with gold, any impressions from owners how these look in real life? Boobinga with silver?

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #417 of 1,486
You mention putting more weight in FR plots with all that additional data such is cool, but my initial comment is that with the absence of all the time domain plots, an FR plot might be over weighed on average.

As well, i would point out that near perfect FR plot and accompanying time domain plots are highly subjective. A deep hole of this discussion goes further.

I think these are useful tools to accompany impressions but i can also have many experiences where i have the headphones, all the measurement data and subjectively, not quite sure they match precisely. In any case, I'm appreciate of anyone's hard work to get this out into the open public but impressions are critical for alignment. If I had "near perfect" measurement data (assuming a "near perfect" measurement rig which is a huge assumption) and people give bad impressions, I'm not buying it (the headphone of course) without a lot more investigation. When both align, I'm more intrigued and of course personal listening trumps ALL of this.

Back on topic. I'm about to pull the trigger, thinking boobinga with gold, any impressions from owners how these look in real life? Boobinga with silver?

Definitely do silver.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #419 of 1,486
I just received mines and I'm really impressed with the initial listen.. Also the build quality is superb.. I'll have more details once I have more time with them..I just have one issue...I have to tap the right driver sometimes to make it work correctly... Is that a normal thing with planars??? Once I give it a little tap everything is perfect and balanced and remains that way the entire listening session...
Definitely not normal.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #420 of 1,486
Not normal at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back