Verum Audio - Exciting high performance DIY planar
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #331 of 1,486
The Verum's upper mid/lower treble is not bright. It is lush and does take edges off. If the Verum is bright, then my HE-1000SE is bloody bright. I would rather say the Verum is a smooth sounding headphone (perhaps in a slightly dark side) with some treble sparkle above 9-10khz.

It reminds me of the Empyrean, which also has lush mids and a rise above 9-10khz.

"lush mids and a slight 9-kHz bump, is usually a good sound. = Lush + Sparkle = Lots of Fans.

Apr 22, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #332 of 1,486
Someone thinks the V1 sounds like "the Senn 600 but with the bass of the HD650, yet its a Planar".
Nearly everyone else seems to think they are "bright".
"Bright" like what? Beyer?....AKG ?..... Audio Technica?......HIfiman ?
For my money i hope its not like Beyer...:)
Not like a Beyer, in terms of brightness. More lke hd600 to me with very good planar bass.

I tested the bass out of my cans last weekend. I would place the V1 on top.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #333 of 1,486
I read purrin's comparisons between the hd650 and the clear in the clear measurement thread in the other community. But he might've tested them with an amp which may be not so optimal. who knows.
But regardless of what others say, what we want at the end is just to make our ears happy.
Hope to hear the hd650 with a very good amp in the future!
I also had good impression of the Clear when i heard it. At usd800 new, it is a no-brainer :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #334 of 1,486
Not like a Beyer, in terms of brightness. More lke hd600 to me with very good planar bass.

I tested the bass out of my cans last weekend. I would place the V1 on top.

What you are describing, is nearly identical to the review that KEN ROCKWELL posted on his site.
He loved their bass, and didnt fint their top end to be anything other then excellent.
He also thinks the DT880 is amazing....so,....
I'll get mine this week, and then i can compare my ears with yours.
Fun....:)

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #335 of 1,486
I also had good impression of the Clear when i heard it. At usd800, it is a no-brainer :)

If you buy everything you want, then you'll discover everything you need to know.
Any other method, is a guess at best.
Ok, im out-a-here.
Im up at 3:30a tomorrow, heading to the GYM.
Everyone, not too loud.....protect your hearing......:)
It matters.

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #336 of 1,486
I found out just yesterday that the HD650's bass can sound even tighter and more controlled than I thought, depending a lot on the chain. Probably because it has very high impedance in the bass area? We need an amp that can have tight grip over the the driver. That's why people can have differing opinions on it. I thought I was amping it very well with my tube amp, but apparently the bass part was still not maximized. Then I tried it with my new amp. It is like giving muscle to its legs. The HD650 doesn't have much weakness anymore, far from pillowy now.

Compared it with the Verum again with this new setup. These two are still different in dynamic vs planar sound flavor. But HD650 still pulls away in detail, realism, mid tonality, micro-dynamics, and natural staging. It is a more analog sound. The Verum is ahead on slam/impact, focus, separation, and macro dynamics. These are slight differences. Both are in roughly equal level of technicalities.
The HD650 can sound amazing but for most to get that level of performances you're looking at ZDS money or Sonnet 2. A lot of people don't really drift that way unless they've bought a more expensive amp and source for another phone and just so happen to rig their HD650 up then hear them scale ahead of their "upgrade" lol.

The HD650 is almost perfect for me but the only reason I don't have them over my LCD-2C and Verum is because of the 5K peak making vocals sound shouty and the grainy sound. Tonality is spot on though I'd take a well driven HD650 over almost anything though. It's just the Verum and especially the 2C has a inherently smoother and lusher sound which is more to my taste with monster subass(2C)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #337 of 1,486
A lot of people don't really drift that way unless they've bought a more expensive amp and source for another phone and just so happen to rig their HD650 up then hear them scale ahead of their "upgrade" lol
So true lol. Wasnt expecting the hd650 to scale ahead of the other cans.

I was listening to large drums last night out of the hd650. The realism is unbelievable. I can hear the detail and tonality of the drum. It is probably the most realistic drum I've ever heard. Just few days ago, I still thought HD650's weakness is in the bass.

The Verum is still more impactful though.

Apr 23, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #338 of 1,486
I just received my tracking number and I believe I was #547. I ordered the Zabrano & Silver.... Can anyone please tell me if a Fiio M9 will be safe and suitable to drive the Verum 1 ???.... I'm really having a hard time understanding how they say it can be driven off an iPhone and then others jump all the way up to amplifier speaker outputs...

Apr 23, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #339 of 1,486
I'm really having a hard time understanding how they say it can be driven off an iPhone and then others jump all the way up to amplifier speaker outputs...
Its impedance is very low for a large-membrane headphone, but similar to IEM impedances, which go as low as 16 ohms. This is why a phone that's well designed for driving IEMs will handle the Verum 1 pretty well. Bookshelf speakers are also low-impedance, even lower than the Verum 1, so a speaker amp is also designed to be capable to supply the high current necessary to compensate for a low impedance. The difference vs. the phone is the speaker amp has MUCH more power available, which will not be necessary for the Verum 1 and might even be enough to damage it, if you turn the volume knob up too high.

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #340 of 1,486
I just received my tracking number and I believe I was #547. I ordered the Zabrano & Silver.... Can anyone please tell me if a Fiio M9 will be safe and suitable to drive the Verum 1 ???.... I'm really having a hard time understanding how they say it can be driven off an iPhone and then others jump all the way up to amplifier speaker outputs...

I ordered the Zabrano & Silver,
after you (565)
should be getting tracking number soon :)

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #341 of 1,486

Congrats....:)

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #343 of 1,486

Thats an interesting comparison.
I like both, and probably the HE560 more then the Senn.
I thought Fang had a good design with the HE560, tho what made it a bit annoying on top, was also related to the way the mids didnt punch.
Im not certain what philosophy of sound Fang ascribes to, but it seems that headphone designers either try to provide (more) detail retrieval with mids or with treble.
Fang seems to choose "treble" as his favorite frequency....... as his headphones , 95%, are bright and treble punched.

I think Fang's headphones have evolved in a way that minimizes cup reverb. Openness and sense of space you can experience with them is exceptional. I think they are still the best in ability to make you feel that you were at a recorded event.
But, yes, side effects are treble punched as you said. I am currently working on them to see whether I can make them behave in a right way...

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #344 of 1,486
There is an even far better software and is free for non pro use and very cheap for free use,
I own both Sonarworks Reference 4 Systemwide and ToneBoosters v3 and v4 which require 64 bit JRiver 23 or later
and can work simultaneously or separately and that they do turn fostex RP's and Verum into giant killers.
please try them...

https://www.toneboosters.com/

I have her on my Android cellphone re USB Audio Player Pro. She is miles ahead of the Sonarworks True-Fi (still in beta).

I will give it another try on my computer since I notice that K1000 is on the list.

Thanks

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #345 of 1,486
I think Fang's headphones have evolve in a way that minimizes cup reverb. Openness and sense of space you can experience with them is exceptional. I think they are still the best in ability to make you feel that you were at a recorded event.
But, yes, side effects are treble punched as you said. I am currently working on them to see whether I can make them behave in a right way...

Yes.
Currently my favorite headphone is Fang's HEXv2.
Today , the Verum 1 will arrive and i'll find out if it is my new favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back